Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Dyna-Asa
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't consider the Super Glide as a "upgrade" over the nightster, the little sporty is faster and is easier to though around, not to mention the style of it. Its just different kind of bike and if thats what he likes he should go with it

-Asa

Old 05-08-2009, 10:04 AM
zxcv
Intermediate

It is great that you can afford both at 20. I know that I could not have.

I got a dyna as my first bike. It was a bit rough at first UNTIL I took the MSF class, then it was almost easy. After a few thousand miles it felt completely natural.

Although I have never ridden a modern sportster (I did ride a 1980 once) I think the dynas feel better balanced and lower so even though they are heavier they may be easier for a newbie to ride.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:17 AM
JohnAE
Cruiser

There is really only about 80 pounds difference between the two bikes and seat heights are about the same. The Dyna rides a LOT better then the Sportster Classic I had and dosen't even seem to be working at highway speeds. If you ever plan to ride two up (probably not if you want a Nightster) then the Dyna is much, much better. My Sportster felt way overloaded two up.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Slipstrm
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperglideKen
Get the SuperGlide and never look back.
Yep, go with the Super Glide.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:18 AM
thomaskray
Road Master

Brand new rider? I'd probably get the sporty. Build confidence first. And the nightster looks pretty damn cool right out of the box.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:24 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

In my opinion, if you are going to go with less than what you really want to learn on, don't "invest" in a Harley. Get a used rice burner with a smaller engine and then, when you are ready, get the Harley you really want. If that turns out to be the Nightster, nothing wrong with that. As someone else pointed out, the dyna is not necessarily an upgrade depending on how you look at it. If you judge by price alone, then a Softail is an upgrade over a dyna and most of us dyna owners, especially those of us that could have bought any bike we wanted, don't see it that way it all. It's more a matter of preference. Just because that Nightster is smaller in stature than the super glide, don't let yourself be fooled that it can't kill you just as quick if you don't stay within your limits.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Dyna-Asa
Road Captain

Originally Posted by JohnAE
There is really only about 80 pounds difference between the two bikes and seat heights are about the same. The Dyna rides a LOT better then the Sportster Classic I had and dosen't even seem to be working at highway speeds. If you ever plan to ride two up (probably not if you want a Nightster) then the Dyna is much, much better. My Sportster felt way overloaded two up.
per H-Ds website, in running order there is a 101lb diff between nightster and a SG, and a 2" seat hight difference, both are significant amounts

-Asa

Old 05-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Jlister
Cruiser

Pretty sure im going to go with the Superglide. Ill hopefully be going down the local dealership to stand some up and compare to nightsters

Old 05-08-2009, 11:44 AM
FUQUA
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dyna-Asa
I wouldn't consider the Super Glide as a "upgrade" over the nightster, the little sporty is faster and is easier to though around, not to mention the style of it. Its just different kind of bike and if thats what he likes he should go with it

-Asa
If your such a fan why are you riding a glide? Trade it in and get a Nightster....then yall can flip a coin and see who's gonna ride the fat girl on the back two up

Last edited by FUQUA; 05-08-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:53 PM
Kojax
Grand HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
Cool

get the 2009 soft tail fatboy you will love it....i got the 2009 black lowrider i think the fatboy is lighter then my lowrider..........i sat on one today still is my dream bike lol

Quick Reply: First Bike?