Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 08:35 AM
Jlister
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Bike?

Been changing my mind a couple times cant pick between the nightster or the Super Glide. Which is better for a first bike? I can afford both i just cant decide if like the Super Glide more and if it is even a great bike for a beginner?

Old 05-08-2009, 08:48 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,887 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Rent each one for a weekend.

Then decide.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:55 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Depends on your ability, confidence, and size. Both are strong bikes, power wise, for a beginner. The sporty is going to be smaller and lighter but still plenty powerful. If choosing between those two, I'd get the one I like the best and discard any notions about which one is best for a beginner. If you know your limits and ability and can stay within them, you can learn on either bike. Depending on your state, if you don't yet have a motorcycle endorsement, I doubt you will find anyone to rent you the bikes to try out. They wouldn't for me here in NC anyway. I had a "permit" but not the full endorsement yet. I've ridden dirtbikes since I was a kid but never a street bike of any kind. I bought my FXDC at a dealership over an hour away from home. I took it for a trial run down an empty street behind the dealership and felt comfortable enough to jump back on it and ride it all the way home - highway speeds almost all the way. But, if I hadn't felt comfortable, I would have come back and picked it up with a trailer. Just don't exceed your comfort level or ability and you'll learn gradually on either bike. After a few weeks, I took my bike down to the dmv and passed the MC skills test and got my endorsement on the first try.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:59 AM
SuperglideKen
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Get the SuperGlide and never look back.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:01 AM
Jlister
Cruiser

i see. well im gonna be doing the MSF course so that will help my learning. Im also 5'7 160 lbs. at 20 years old so im a little guy

Old 05-08-2009, 09:01 AM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2007fxdc
Depends on your ability, confidence, and size. Both are strong bikes, power wise, for a beginner. The sporty is going to be smaller and lighter but still plenty powerful. If choosing between those two, I'd get the one I like the best and discard any notions about which one is best for a beginner. If you know your limits and ability and can stay within them, you can learn on either bike. Depending on your state, if you don't yet have a motorcycle endorsement, I doubt you will find anyone to rent you the bikes to try out. They wouldn't for me here in NC anyway. I had a "permit" but not the full endorsement yet. I've ridden dirtbikes since I was a kid but never a street bike of any kind. I bought my FXDC at a dealership over an hour away from home. I took it for a trial run down an empty street behind the dealership and felt comfortable enough to jump back on it and ride it all the way home - highway speeds almost all the way. But, if I hadn't felt comfortable, I would have come back and picked it up with a trailer. Just don't exceed your comfort level or ability and you'll learn gradually on either bike. After a few weeks, I took my bike down to the dmv and passed the MC skills test and got my endorsement on the first try.

+10...........

Old 05-08-2009, 09:36 AM
DCamm94
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Jlister
i see. well im gonna be doing the MSF course so that will help my learning. Im also 5'7 160 lbs. at 20 years old so im a little guy
You're off to a great start already. Excellent course. Lots of folks like the sportys, but it's really up to you.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:42 AM
FUQUA
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you get a sporty it's only a matter of time before you will want to upgrade.....why not just start with an upgrade?

Old 05-08-2009, 09:48 AM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, get the Glide, if you like it, and take it to a parking lot and get to know it inside and out. Just take your time and ride within your limits.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:50 AM
DGDyna
Tourer
Thumbs up

I was making great money in Iraq so I could afford any bike I wanted. I went through the same thing you are going through. I got the Dyna Super Glide and here’s why:

They say that the Sportster is fun but by the end of your first year, you’ll want something bigger. Since I didn’t want to sell it right after I bought it, I eliminated the Sportster.

I didn’t see a Softail that I liked so that decision was easy.

In the Dyna line, I bought the Super Glide. Everyone modifies there bikes so I figured why not get the basic Dyna and save a couple thousand from the Low Rider or a Bob and put that into my bike.

Look at it this way, what ever you end up with… you’ll be riding a Harley Davidson motorcycle!

Welcome to the club.

Quick Reply: First Bike?