Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 05:01 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Spark plugs

Having some issues with my ride this week between a severe vibration and then a nasty surging experience on thursday, I pulled the front plug. I'm not all knowing so I did a google search of how to read a spark plug and actually nightrider.com had some very useful info on how to read spark plugs. Turns out mine are carbon-fouled. One sympton to that the site mentioned was that the mixture way be to rich. I was running a custom map from an hdf member with a similar setup. I have since gone back to the canned map from dynojet. I haven't swapped out new plugs but will do so this week. I suspect that may be part of the reason for my issues. The other reason may have been a nasty tank of gas even though it came from a hi-volume station. It was one had never used before and I don't trust gast station being run by indians (mid easterm). I can't stand that incense smell that smacks you in the face upon entering a mid-eastern owned/operated gas station.

I don't really have the cash to afford for the dealer to look at it. You always have to plan for the worst even though its under warranty.

Anyway, would changing the heat range of the plug make any difference? My understanding the higher the number, the hotter, right? like 7 is hotter than 6. I believe stock plugs are 6. Would I see any improvement?

Are plugs for our rides available elsewhere than a dealer like autoparts store?

Old 05-09-2009, 07:00 PM
Torn
Advanced
Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Heres a cross ref for the plugs http://www.harley-performance.com/ha...park-plug.html I would stick with a recommended plug and get it on the dyno when you can afford it.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:05 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Torn, that's excellent info. Thanks man.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:45 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in NJ - all gas stations are run by Indians. If you don't want gas from Indians, you don't ride.

You can clean your plugs on a wire wheel mounted on a bench grinder - provided the plugs don't have many miles on them - this way you won't have to buy new plugs every time you want to test a Power Commander map or new tank of gas, etc. Taking out the plugs, cleaning them, verifying the gap and reinstalling them is a 10 minute job.

Use the stock plugs. Changing heat ranges won't help you a bit. Plugs should look a like a dark tan without any deposits. If you have black, sooty deposits on your plugs, you are way too rich.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:00 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

I'm familar with Jersey. Grew up in Passaic County. Down south, it's a little different. Indian-owned/operated gas stations are not the norm, thank god.

As far as cleaning the plugs, it ould be something to do by hand. I don't have a bench but do own a grinder. No place to set it up. No garage. Yes, they are black, sooty. I had a feeling running the custom map was a bad idea. Gotta learn the hard way. Not going to do a dyno-tune until after I do my cams which may be sometime this millenium if all goes well. Ha ha ha.

Thanks for the info though.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:18 AM
rockon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Good links guys, I need to pull mine and take a look at em as well. Torn, from that link you posted, are any of those plugs for the TC real standouts from the rest, or for the most part is a plug a plug?

Old 05-10-2009, 03:39 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by rockon
Good links guys, I need to pull mine and take a look at em as well. Torn, from that link you posted, are any of those plugs for the TC real standouts from the rest, or for the most part is a plug a plug?
Rockon, look at that table. The first column heading is 88"/96". Follow it down. That's basically a cross reference of HD oem part numbers and matching aftermarket p/n's. If you have a preference to one brand, you can easily match it to the HD oem.

Definitely a link to add to your 'favorites".

Probably the only one not worth it is the splitfire. Never ever hear anything good bout those plugs.

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 05-10-2009 at 03:47 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:10 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You don't need a bench grinder to clean a spark plug. A simple wire brush that looks like a tooth brush will do the job. Get a stainless one, they last longer. Mine is nearly 20 years old and still works.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:22 AM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure your throttle position is set to 0. You may need to reset it when you change a map. Mine was not and really messed my map up until I discovered it and reset it. Try different maps. Does not have to be the map for the exact pipes. I changed my maps to suit my 06 UC. I added 15s to the 0 throttle positon above 1250 RPM range to stop the popping. I lowered my numbers in the cruise range by 5 to improve MPG. Just have to play with it or get custom maps from other members. You will get a map that works well or you can spend the money for a Dynotune.

Old 05-10-2009, 05:55 AM
mikeurig
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed the E3.36 spark plugs from e3sparkplugs. Seem to work well but never had it on a dyno before or after I installed them.

Quick Reply: Spark plugs