Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forward controls on a Dyna...cost..

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 06:11 AM
Sonny's World
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch!!!

Old 10-15-2009, 10:14 AM
SailorDon
Cruiser

Originally Posted by VTL nut
I bought a set from a local dealer ($399), bought the service manual, discovered the inner primary needed to come off, took everything in and they hooked me a little over $400 to do it.
Total $800 plus change.
The better way to install forward controls is to leave the middle control shift shaft and arm in place. To keep it from rattling around in the breeze, I used a plastic wire tie like in the photo.

Since I made this temporary install, I have found that Kuryakyn makes a Foward Control Kit (#9063) that includes a Shift Arm Retainer (#409064). My local Harley dealer will order it for me for $4.99 plus tax. See the Kuryakyn website for details. I'm going to order mine today. The plastic wire tie looks bad.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:20 AM
thomaskray
Road Master

Basically got mine for free. Traded my mids to a dude for his forwards. Then traded another dude my brake and shift linkage for his extended linkage.

Ask around. You might be able to do the same.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:09 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by SailorDon
The better way to install forward controls is to leave the middle control shift shaft and arm in place. To keep it from rattling around in the breeze, I used a plastic wire tie like in the photo.
Since I made this temporary install, I have found that Kuryakyn makes a Foward Control Kit (#9063) that includes a Shift Arm Retainer (#409064). My local Harley dealer will order it for me for $4.99 plus tax. See the Kuryakyn website for details. I'm going to order mine today. The plastic wire tie looks bad.
H-D has the same kind of clip (see attachment2 for fitment and p/n's). This comes from the dyna floor board kit (50601-01; is in the database).

Here's a pic from my 2003Dyna in attachment1

Originally Posted by rastajacob
Did you all pay alot extra to put the forwards on your Dyna's? About $450 for the 1200N.

I found a chrome (next to new) fwd ctrl set at Ebay a few weeks ago and won the auction..........US$ 121.04 shipping not included! I will do the install myself.

Attached Thumbnails Forward controls on a Dyna...cost..-img_0030.jpg   Forward controls on a Dyna...cost..-parts-list.jpg  

Last edited by FXD2003Rider; 10-15-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:42 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought my Kuryakyn forward controls from the dealership shortly I got my bike new and installed them myself.

Of course, now there is no way in he11 I would do the same ... I would get them from Zanotti, Chicago HD or New Roc, etc. ... or from Discount Cycle Parts.com. Find some in the Drag Book or V-Twin Mfg.com online catalog and get 'em a lot cheaper.

If you are willing to "tie off' the inner shift lever and "cap" the outer end of the shaft, it doesn't look too bad.

If you're a perfectionist you'll want to take off the entire primary and replace it with a Wide Glide inner and outer primary.

For me, I wish I had slowed down a bit and decided on floorboards to begin with. For only a little more than what I spent on forward controls, I could have gotten all the Softail floorboard parts that I ended up using and the Cycle Vision "Go Forward" extension kit I used as an adapter.

R/
'Chop

Old 10-15-2009, 03:10 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I bought the ebay set. Its made by V-Twin mfg. Paid like $259 delivered I think. Took about an hour to install and sold my factory hyway pegs on ebay in like a day to help recoupe even more of the cost. No pulling the primary on my set either and it had a chrome cap for the shift rod for a cleaner install.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:47 PM
Toplink
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine where $240 shipped, installed myself custom chorme looks good for now, very easy. If you go this way I say get new linkage with I bolts much better and not likey to break.

Attached Thumbnails Forward controls on a Dyna...cost..-o8-dyna-9-19-09-001.jpg   Forward controls on a Dyna...cost..-o8-dyna-9-19-09-003.jpg  

Last edited by Toplink; 10-15-2009 at 03:56 PM. Reason: new pic
Old 10-15-2009, 03:57 PM
SailorDon
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FXD2003Rider
H-D has the same kind of clip (see attachment2 for fitment and p/n's). This comes from the dyna floor board kit (50601-01; is in the database).
Slight difference. The Kuryakyn shift arm retainer clamps down below the top of the primary chain housing so you don't see the extra shift lever or the clamp.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:20 PM
jousley
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Bought mine for 200 on ebay... put em on myself.. a great money saver & learned about the bike... that's my recommendation
J.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:12 PM
SailorDon
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SailorDon
I have found that Kuryakyn makes a Foward Control Kit (#9063) that includes a Shift Arm Retainer (#409064). My local Harley dealer will order it for me for $4.99 plus tax. See the Kuryakyn website for details. I'm going to order mine today. The plastic wire tie looks bad.
UPDATE: The Kuryakyn Shift Arm Retainer does a good job of retaining the middle shift arm right in the way of the gearbox shift arm. The result is you can't downshift. I guess that's OK if you are going to ride in 6th gear for the rest of your life.

It's back to the plastic wire tie for now. I wasted 2 hours trying to get that damn piece of crap Kuryakyn part to work. NFW! Not on an '09 Street Bob. Maybe it works on some other Dyna forward control conversion. It would have been a lot easier to flush a $5 bill down the crapper.

I will limit my Kuryakyn purchases to stuff that is no more complicated than a foot peg or hand grip.

Last edited by SailorDon; 10-28-2009 at 08:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Forward controls on a Dyna...cost..