Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I go twinkie?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 11:57 PM
average_bear
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I go twinkie?

I've been riding a 1987 FXSTC for the past six years and it has been a fine motorcycle with no problems except for a weird speedo cable glitch. She's got 58000 on the clock and has been well cared for.The bike has taken literally everything I could throw at it and asked for more. However, I have decided to move on.

Now I'm looking to buy a 2006 FXDWGI with 1800 miles on it. She's a fine looking bike but I know literally nothing about these twin cams. Honestly, I've shunned them for quite a while as I've always hailed the evo as HD's flagship engine. That darned fuel injection just seems weird. But, old bear here has decided to get with the times. I just have a few questions.

To those who have owned both evos and twinks, what are some of the major differences you have noticed? I think I can perform most of the maintenance myself (I work on cars too). How are reliability, performance, and durability? What about the overheating I've heard about? What about the bearing issue? What in the hell is a power commander (sounds like something from Star Trek)?

Any other things that you folks could think of that I may want to look at. I would appreciate any advice.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Old 05-24-2009, 02:30 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Well, the powercommander is an add-on module to to allow tuning of the fuel injection maps. You can get the oem ecm (onboard computer) remapped from the moco, but they charge you $150/per remap whereas the owercommand is $300 and you can update it all you want with a computer and usb cable. I suspect you'll be workin the motor to get as much out of it as possible. The 06 you're looking at has th 88" TC.

I can tell you that I've walked outside in 20 degree weather, hit the power button and the bike starts everytime. Carbs can be a bit finiky.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:38 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Yea I think you should go twinkie.

Just whatever you do, don't go Ding Dong

or HoHos.

Old 05-24-2009, 02:42 AM
Naz_Man
Outstanding HDF Member

I would go for it there great!!

Old 05-24-2009, 02:57 AM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

And here i thought a twinkie was a young Homo! Sorry if that offends anyone,none meant!

Old 05-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Lorance66
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what is good is Yodels......go with those. Put them in the freezer too.

Old 05-24-2009, 11:37 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by maddghost
And here i thought a twinkie was a young Homo! Sorry if that offends anyone,none meant!
I believe what you're referring to is a "twink".

Old 05-24-2009, 11:44 AM
txtec
Banned

Originally Posted by average_bear
I've been riding a 1987 FXSTC for the past six years and it has been a fine motorcycle with no problems except for a weird speedo cable glitch. She's got 58000 on the clock and has been well cared for.The bike has taken literally everything I could throw at it and asked for more. However, I have decided to move on.

Now I'm looking to buy a 2006 FXDWGI with 1800 miles on it. She's a fine looking bike but I know literally nothing about these twin cams. Honestly, I've shunned them for quite a while as I've always hailed the evo as HD's flagship engine. That darned fuel injection just seems weird. But, old bear here has decided to get with the times. I just have a few questions.

To those who have owned both evos and twinks, what are some of the major differences you have noticed? I think I can perform most of the maintenance myself (I work on cars too). How are reliability, performance, and durability? What about the overheating I've heard about? What about the bearing issue? What in the hell is a power commander (sounds like something from Star Trek)?

Any other things that you folks could think of that I may want to look at. I would appreciate any advice.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
if you dont mind having another 20 h.p.<for starts>,smoother ride,10 times less vibration,no more oil leaks, if you can stand all that ,go ahead and buy the wideglide.

Old 05-24-2009, 12:18 PM
BoozerHi
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Owned pan, shovel and evo. never had a knuc but my father did. on second twincam, first was a "B", gotta go with the "A" IMO!

Old 05-24-2009, 12:31 PM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Heck yeas ! The twin cam is a 1st class motor. I have an '07 FXDWGI, I also had an '06. Both are great bikes. I actually liked the 88" motor a little better, don't know why really, I just did. My butt dyno 1000 said the 88" motor was stronger . You'll love it.

Quick Reply: Should I go twinkie?