Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FXDF: Getting right side pass peg mount off

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 10:53 PM
SMOKEin
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXDF: Getting right side pass peg mount off

How the effffffff do you get that sucker off. My T47 fits perfect in the bolt, but its so tight in there that the ratchet dont fit. So, I thought maybe a set of Torx keys/wrenches would do the trick, but I cant find one anywhere. Auto parts stores, lowed, home cheapo, northern, noplace has them. Anyone got a trick for me?

Old 06-17-2009, 11:38 PM
Ratbob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had mine off several times recently, as I just switched to passenger floorboards. I use a 3/8" universal and a 4" extension on a T45 torx bit (don't think it's a T47). I also hold a rag between the universal and the fender to keep from scratching it. I've never seen a L shaped torx either.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:56 PM
SMOKEin
Tourer

Thanks Rat. I just dont know how the heck you got them off. I double checked and they are T47 for sure. The fwd bolt cant come off because the frame is in the way of the ratchet, I tried your extension idea and it only made it worse. The rear bolt is directly under the fender and only has 1" maybe 1.5" clearance at best. Is yours an 09?

Old 06-18-2009, 07:05 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It was tight clearance, but I think I happened to have a narrow head SK ratchet and a short maybe 1 or 2 inch extension and it happened to just fit. Did not have to resort to a wobble or universal attachment.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:00 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

get someone with small hands !

Old 06-18-2009, 08:23 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

either that or remove the fender. Sucks, but if you want it off badly...

Old 06-18-2009, 09:21 PM
Ratbob
Road Master

Smoke, I'm talking about one of these
Fit's between the Torx bit and the extension (4 to 6 inch).
I have an 08 Fatbob, and I'm sure it's a T45

Works like a champ!

Attached Thumbnails FXDF: Getting right side pass peg mount off-universal.jpg  
Old 06-18-2009, 09:43 PM
SMOKEin
Tourer

Rat, thanks again. I had run out after my posting and picked up one of those exact same things (i called it a wobble type thing for my ratchet, guy laughed pretty good). Anyway, it got the front one off great. I also picked up a set of keys/L shaped wrenches, they gave me the clearance I needed for the rear, but only went up to 45 so I was out of luck. I actually bout them them for the heck of it, thought maybe I had goofed up my sizes, but for sure the 45 is too small. Must be diff for 09 or it could be chalked up to the crappy Torx wrenches on the market (prob mine!!) that seem to differ in size a little.

Anyway.. guess the whole fender needs to come off.. never had so much trouble installing a pipe in all my life.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:38 AM
Ratbob
Road Master

Not sure what you're smokin' but it not as good as the stuff HD is smokin' on the assembly floor. Just like my front belt guard bolt, the parts manual sez grade 8, but it was cheep azz aluminum that stripped out and I had to drill it out. Seems like they just put in what ever happens to be in arms reach.

I'm really surprised you couldn't get to the rear bolt with the universal. It's tight but no problem on my bike. Maybe you can push the fender out of the way enough by just loosening the strut bolts.

Good luck!

Old 06-19-2009, 07:00 AM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I used a Mac model of the "wobble socket thing" and it fit on the front and rear (of a DB not a DX). It is designed slightly differently. I had to use the 1/4 drive wobble with an adapter to fit the 3/8 drive torx socket. The 3/8 wobble would not fit. I also ended up using my 3/8 impact gun. A t-shirt between the socket and the fender made me feel a little safer about not scratching the fender.

On the left side peg mount that would not work. But, a 5/16 box end wrench fit perfectly on the shaft of my torx socket. I am not sure if I can explain this so it is easy to understand, but I slide a wrench over the shaft of the torx socket. Then, to get the leverage on the little box end wrench I slide a small piece of pipe over it.

It may have been easier just to remove the fender, but I read on here I did not have to do it and I was determined to get it done with the fender on the bike

Here is the Mac tool I am talking about:

Quick Reply: FXDF: Getting right side pass peg mount off