Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EASY PULL CLUTCH

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 12:44 PM
Silverglide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EASY PULL CLUTCH

I went to the dealer yesterday and decided to spend some money on an easy pull clutch kit,for my 2004 Superglide. After talking with the parts guy I decided to go with an after market part that he recommended to me, rather than the Harley kit. I guess the Harley kit is cheaper put way harder to install. The side transmission cover needs to come off, the clutch release mechanism needs to be changed out. Then the primary cover needs to be removed to change out a part in there. Then the clutch needs to be adjusted at the derby and the cable. The after market kit witch by the way is made in Japan "MRC CLUTCH HD-0001" fits big twins from 87 up, only needs the side transmission cover removed. Change out the clutch release mechanism, put on a new gasket, a slight clutch adjustment at the cable for me, because I finally changed out the stock Superglide cable I have been runnig with for the last year or so with a wide glide cable to match the bars. It just seemed now was the time to do this since I was going with an easy pull system anyway. By the way the easy pull clutch is really nice. That had to be one of Harley's better upgrades for the 06 models. Leave it to the Japs to come up with a better way.
Marty

Old 05-19-2006, 12:48 AM
5701andbroke
Advanced
Default RE: EASY PULL CLUTCH

I used the Burly soft clutch kit on my 01 FXDWG. With this part,$25., a new gasket, new trans oil plug o-ring and a quart of Bel-Ray trans oil the total was around $41. Did the fix in an hour. Large c-clip pliers was the only special tool. A small amount of grinding was required to attach the cable. This part is made in the USofA. I have a SE clutch spring and the pull was hard. It is now like butter. Time and money well spent.

Old 05-19-2006, 12:34 PM
Silverglide
Tourer

Wow the dealer must have been watching me walk up. Mine was $80.00 plus the cable. Where do you buy your parts is there a catalog or web site ??? All said and done, the clutch does have a nice pull..

Old 05-19-2006, 06:04 PM
05RdKing
Road Master

I bought the HD unit for $44 for my '05 Road King, and put in the ramp only at this time - I found that putting in the ramp only reduced the effort by a very large amount, and since I found that out, decided I'll hang on to the spring and put it in whenever I do a cluch replacement down the road, since the effort is now low enough that I don't see a need for the spring right now. It feels just a little tougher than an '06 to me.

Old 05-20-2006, 02:54 AM
5701andbroke
Advanced

I bought the Burly brand at American Harley in Ann Arbor Michigan. I went with it because I would work with the SE heavy duty clutch spring. My motor has a little extra torque. It turns out that you can buy the 2 Harley ramps (inner and outer) and get similar results, as posted buy Silverglide. The inner and outer ramps are about the same money as the Burly. If you want to contact Burly their phone # is 714-692-3040. No web site listed on their instruction sheet.

Old 05-20-2006, 11:17 PM
Silverglide
Tourer

It just goes to show, ask questions here first then go spend money !!!!

Old 05-21-2006, 09:19 PM
05LowRider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just put the HD one on my bike and man what a nice difference! A little time consuming but well worth it. OEM setup was a pain. Never engaged in the same spot consistently and had a notchy feel just before complete engagement. I'm pretty sure it had more to do with the ball and ramp assembly than the spring. But I love it now. Clutch grabs at the same spot all the time and no more notchy feeling!

Old 10-07-2010, 06:39 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

put one in the wifes softail and liked it so much put one in my Ultra , much better , easy to do and cheap , mine was $11.00 off ebay and then $4.00 for a gasket , also found out if you leave it on the side stand you do not even have to drain the trans , best money ever spent on non chrome

Last edited by 1st 96 ultra; 10-08-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:43 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

mine was 24 bucks, bought the parts for it seperate, then installed it myself took about 20 min start to finish

Old 10-07-2010, 07:00 PM
SeeMeDo
Road Warrior

The clutch on my 95 flstn was so hard when I first got it that I thought I would have to change it out but now I can crack walnuts with my left hand.

Quick Reply: EASY PULL CLUTCH