Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Street Bob Muffler Guts and Mods

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 07:54 PM
GARAGE DWELLER
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Street Bob Muffler Guts and Mods

So after reading about Gary7 ultimate muffler mods to his mufflers, I had to give it a go. Before I ordered the new baffles though, I had to check out the existing baffle to see what could be modified. Just a few pics I snapped last night, that some people might find helpful. First pic is right out of the can.

Attached Thumbnails 2009 Street Bob Muffler Guts and Mods-dsc01447s.jpg  
Old 06-25-2009, 07:57 PM
GARAGE DWELLER
Novice

The outside mesh tube is welded to the baffle at the inlet side. I turned off the weld so I could remove it.

Attached Thumbnails 2009 Street Bob Muffler Guts and Mods-hd-bafs.jpg  
Old 06-25-2009, 08:02 PM
GARAGE DWELLER
Novice

Then I got the idea to part off the rear of the baffle and make a new piece of tubing for the inlet side. I would weld these two pieces to the ends of the outer mesh tube and ditch the baffle all together.

Attached Thumbnails 2009 Street Bob Muffler Guts and Mods-dsc01453s.jpg  
Old 06-25-2009, 08:04 PM
GARAGE DWELLER
Novice

The three pieces for the new "baffle" LOL

Attached Thumbnails 2009 Street Bob Muffler Guts and Mods-dsc01454s.jpg  
Old 06-25-2009, 08:07 PM
GARAGE DWELLER
Novice

The pieces all tacked together. I also added a .250 pin to the solid part of the tube for easy removal.

Attached Thumbnails 2009 Street Bob Muffler Guts and Mods-dsc01455s.jpg  
Old 06-25-2009, 08:23 PM
GARAGE DWELLER
Novice

All done and a shot from the end. Straight through except for the pin. I left all the packing in and hoped for some sound reduction.

After I got them on I had to test them out.

Very deep rumble at idle, even a little quieter then my SE II.

After that she is LOUD. If you like LOUD these sound great at WOT. Their was a bit of an odd pop at just above idle, for a few hundred RPMs. It also let you know when you were lugging it. Maybe this was from the drop in torque, it definitely liked to be running at a higher RPM. Maybe some more tuning would take care if this. If it weren't for these little things I would keep them in, but I'm going to try the Cycle Shack baffles tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails 2009 Street Bob Muffler Guts and Mods-endshots.jpg  
Old 08-18-2009, 05:54 AM
jsmckinn
5th Gear

I removed the stock baffles in my 09, and I installed some Rush 2" baffles. I chopped the bell off of the entrance end of the baffle, and installed a reducer. Then, I had to use a 3" ID to 3" OD reducer to increase the diameter of the bell on the exit end of the baffle, so that it would slide in and bolt in place on the stock cans. Cut a 1-1/4" piece from the 3" OD side and weld it in place, then cut a 1" piece from the 3" ID side, weld it on top of that, you now have some really nice baffles on the cheap. I did not have to remove ANY packing whatsoever, these baffles slide into place with no problems. The exhaust system sounds really nice now. Nice rumble at lower rpm's, and good solid sound on top. I used stainless button-head screws and aircraft self-locking nuts to retain the baffles. The bike pulls hard through all rpm's, no laziness here. What I like about retaining the stock cans, is that due to the size reduction from the head pipe (1-3/4") to the entrance of the muffler/baffle (1-5/8"), this slight reduction maintains back pressure and the bottom-end torque stays in-tact. I don't have to experiment with torque cones, etc...

Attached Thumbnails 2009 Street Bob Muffler Guts and Mods-street-bob-baffles.jpg   2009 Street Bob Muffler Guts and Mods-09-fxdb.jpg  

Last edited by jsmckinn; 08-18-2009 at 06:12 AM.