Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Streetbob to ElectraGlide Classic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 05:26 AM
spiritwarrior
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Streetbob to ElectraGlide Classic?

Have a chance to buy a new 2008 ElectraGlide Classic for 16,250. It sits two inches higher than the Street Bob and weighs about 151lbs more. Seems like with the extra height and weight it may not be as stable handling at low speeds and parking lot turns as the Dyna is. I almost have the Bob the way I like it, less some bags for long distance touring.

Any thoughts, from someone who has made the switch or maybe owns both a Dyna and a Classic?

Just had another twist in this post. The local Korean Harley Dealer has an Ultra with the torqouise green, antique white paint scheme. Beautiful, but Koreans don't have enough history to catch the nostaligla of it and they can't see it. What if I bought the new EGC, how hard would it be for them to swap parts, they take my new olive green black, me their torquise green, and antique white. Too hard to swap the parts. The only difference is my bike would not have the lower leg/knee panels and they would have to paint theres with the olive green paint scheme.

Just a wild thought maybe not doable

Last edited by spiritwarrior; 07-12-2009 at 08:14 AM. Reason: new idea
Old 07-04-2009, 07:13 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

No experience with the baggers here. But, I think the EGC is the best bargain of all the Baggers. With a few changes it can be made into a St.Glide pretty easy, lose some of the chrome trim, swap the front fenfer, and if you want you could put a smaller windshield on it. Other than the grey motor, it looks then just like the FLHX (IMO).

Old 07-04-2009, 08:41 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,879 Likes on 1,492 Posts

They are far more nimble than they look. Don't let the extra fiberglass fool you.

They definately handle different than a Bob but it is pretty easy to get used too.

I have had my FXDC in the shop off and on for the last month and have rented an Ultra a couple of times. It was slightly cumbersome in stop and go, but not bad. It ate those highway miles up though, 80+ was super comfortable.

You can also lower a Classic if that is an issue.

Get a quick detach for the tour pack and a low seat and you have an around town bike in seconds.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:53 AM
Man O'War
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

What would you do with the Bob....sell it outright, trade it in for the EGC or keep it?

Old 07-04-2009, 11:42 AM
spiritwarrior
Road Captain
Default Street Bob

Originally Posted by Man O'War
What would you do with the Bob....sell it outright, trade it in for the EGC or keep it?
I would sell it outright. I had it for sale 1 1/2 months not even a call. Was asking 13200 which I thought was a fair price. She has a detachable Harley Windshield, Sundowner two up seat, Lindby Engine Guards, Harley medium sissy bar, Harley luggage rack, and HD Motor Company Derby and Air Cleaner covers. 1460 total miles. Will ask 12,300 to get a quick sale and see what happens.

BTW the bike is in South Korea.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:58 PM
ropin4gold
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just went from a Superglide to an EGC. I got an 09. I really like the touring bike better as it handles the interstate speeds better. Also the cruise is great. I had a windshield and BOSS bags on the superglide. The Superglide will be missed in the twisties though.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:03 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

get a 2009+, better frame.

Forget gettting any money for your bike in this economy.

~joe

Old 07-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Elginator
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by traveler
get a 2009+, better frame.

Forget gettting any money for your bike in this economy.

~joe
He is in South Korea. The market might not be quite the same.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:11 PM
spiritwarrior
Road Captain

Market here is okay at a quick sale price. Most people are US Govt' or military personnel so the economy although effecting them somewhat they are not worried about unemployment. Good call on the 09's and the frame. I heard that from several other locals.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:23 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Just do it yourself like I did ... I have about $17,000 total in it (including purchase of my stock '05 FXDI and all mods to date) and basically have a E-Glide that converts to a "Fat" Bob ... A lot of work, but it's customized to my liking and fits me both ergonomically and my style preferences:

Stripped down ...

Full Bagger Dress ...

Quick Reply: Streetbob to ElectraGlide Classic?