Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need battery charger?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 01:35 PM
eddie0324
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need battery charger?

I ride my bike at least twice a week and my buddy tells me I should have a batt. charger is this true?

Old 06-28-2006, 01:40 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Need battery charger?

At least 2x per week should not be a problem. Even the weekend riding times I had was fine for my bike. Anything longer and you should have a quick disconnect trickle charger put on.

Old 06-28-2006, 02:28 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't buy it....my dwg sat all winter without being started more than 3 or 4 times...not to mention that I had a yamaha before that (and I have to assume that the batteries in both bikes aren't that much different), and that bike sat at one time for more than 6 months without being started. Sure...it was a little rough the first time I started it, but it did start. And my harley starts every time....even if it sits for a few weeks (which doesn't happen now that it's riding season). I will add that it is in a (relatively) warm garage, and I'm sure it would've been different if the bike was outside)
I've been told the same thing about buying a charger....and I just ignore it now. Say what you will..and I'm sure others will chime in about maintaining battery life, so on and so forth...but I see battery chargers as a waste of time and money. And worst case scenario...if the battery dies...oh well..buy another one. It aint like you're buying something really expensive. Of course that's my opinion...and my own experience. If someone can make a better argument for them, by all means...go for it.

Todd

Old 06-28-2006, 04:30 PM
ReeseSS
Tourer

Battery loses some power when sitting, very good idea on the newer efi bikes with electronics to have fully charged battery when starting or electrical gremlins can soon be following.

Old 06-28-2006, 04:31 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

If I let any of my bikes sit for a month w/o starting them it's time to charge them. Especially the Outlaw. It's first starter drag is very taxing on the battery (until the compression rlse kicks in).

Old 06-28-2006, 05:07 PM
hd_sob
Road Master

I bought a trickle charger two years ago and still have not opened the package.

Old 06-28-2006, 05:24 PM
ad2
Cruiser

Same here - I keep thinking I'll use the tricle charger during the winter, but last winter was so warm that I never went more than 2 weeks without riding.

Old 06-28-2006, 09:35 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I never charge my battery except lightly in Winter 1x a month maybe. But I do replace the battery every 3rd season.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:05 AM
06dynablack
Road Warrior

reese is right

Old 06-30-2006, 09:36 AM
stubby
Road Captain

Letting a bike set up for weeks, especially this time of year, should not require charging. A newer battery. An older battery that should be replaced will probably will need charging. When I bought my 06 dyna I was told not to allow the battery to die because it may screw up the electronics. This may be true.
The bottom line is good battery, descent weather, no need to charge. As the battery ages and sits for long it should get a trickle charge.

Quick Reply: Need battery charger?