Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

July 4th long ride and performance eval.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 10:49 AM
but Ill try 2 try
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default July 4th long ride and performance eval.

Rode about 165 miles yesterday round trip to the Pantego Mud Run. This was the first long ride I've done since getting my bike back from Rocky Mount Harley Davidson with my PCIII, Cycleshacks, and SE A/C. Basically my gas mileage is horrible. I seem to have lost about 10 mpg maybe more. With my modest mods and the powercommander I was expecting equal to or better fuel mileage compared to stock. Any suggestions? Its a shame this dealer has a decent sales and finance side and a slack service department.

Old 07-05-2006, 11:11 AM
fripple
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: July 4th long ride and performance eval.

after i put my pcIII on, I also lost gas mileage. at least 10mpg.

Old 07-05-2006, 11:27 AM
CHEESE
Road Warrior

My mileage is way up after I had a custom PCIII map done. Did they install a canned map or did you have them run a custom one for you? I was running a canned map and getting about 38 mpg, now I have a custom map and I'm getting about 49mpg on those long highway rides. It was totally worth it to me to spend 285 to get the custom map.

Old 07-05-2006, 12:39 PM
rap87
Tourer

Sheesh, man I'd give the dealer a break. Is this the only dealer you've been to? Compared to the past 3 dealers I've been too, they have low prices and a great service department that has great prices too. I find alot of dealers have shitty sales/service WITH HIGH PRICES. I was in and out on Sat and got a custom map done that produced great power. When you put on free flowing pipes its going to hurt the gas mileage. Your going to lose at least 10 mpg. I wouldn't blame this on the dealer. You have a print out of what the dyno is...you can see if they dynoed it right or not based on the air to fuel mixture line and the chart. If its running good, I wouldn't complain and gas mileage also depends on your riding style. I can get **** for mileage if I get on the throttle, but if I am more prudent I can go quite a ways. Latz, hope it works out for ya, but hate to see a dealer I like, so much be getting a bad name....cause I ride out of my way 300 miles there and back to get the good service!

Old 07-05-2006, 01:23 PM
CHEESE
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: rap87

When you put on free flowing pipes its going to hurt the gas mileage. Your going to lose at least 10 mpg.
Not if it's tuned correctly you're not. Like I said, I had 49mpg on my last ride, that's with V&H pipes, SE A/C, and PCIII tuned correctly. Now, I would agree that it's entirely likely that on one's first ride with new pipes and what not, one would be a little more likely to get on the throttle to see what it would do, thus hurting the mileage. But in the long run, it shouldn't be getting 10 mpg less with the new set up.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:27 PM
rap87
Tourer

Well, thats why I said it depends on the way you ride. I seem to be getting good gas mileage on the interstate in 6th gear, but if I am around town and I drag race off the line with free flowing pipes it tends to eat up gas a bit quicker than the stock pipes. And as far as the dyno chart it should tell you in black and white if its tuned right based on the air to fuel and the power curve...

Old 07-05-2006, 02:51 PM
fripple
Road Warrior

i'm just using the map off of power commanders site for my setup. i get no popping on decel, so i figured it was tuned correctly.

Old 07-05-2006, 03:24 PM
rap87
Tourer

ORIGINAL: fripple

i'm just using the map off of power commanders site for my setup. i get no popping on decel, so i figured it was tuned correctly.
Your not getting the max performance you could get, by having it tuned specifically for your bike. Every bike is alil bit different even if its the same setup/yr.

Old 07-05-2006, 05:26 PM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What are you getting? Stage one should be around 40-42 in mixed driving.

Old 07-05-2006, 07:54 PM
but Ill try 2 try
Road Warrior

With my stock setup, before any mods I was getting right at 40 mpg. Now it's more like 29. On Tuesday, when I noticed the gas needle moving a lot faster than it should, I slowed down kept it in 6th whenever I could and cruised normal on the highway. Fuel mileage still is bad and this is many miles after my work was done. As far as the dealer, there sales dept. seems good, but the service dept. has heard me tell them to fix my damn fork lock on two different occasions and neigther time have they even touched it. The first time the damn service manager sat on my bike and verified the problem. I think you get what you pay for. Yes they're prices are low rap87, and for that low price I would say the quality of tune is average to slightly below average. I talked to Ray Price in Raleigh today and apparently there 21 years in the business dyno guy is the one to see. He said he'd heard bad things about the Rocky Mount service dept. but that could have just been B.S.

Rap87, I don't like talking bad about them cause they were my preferred dealer too. I'm 49% mad and 51% disappointed.

The power level is ok and fun to ride, but from having past car and truck dyno experience; a new fuel mgmt system, exhaust and A/C never ever reduces mileage by 25%, it usually helps it go up. Live and learn, but two chances to fix a defective fork lock and they still can't do it is stoopid.

Quick Reply: July 4th long ride and performance eval.