Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can a Dyna look cool with saddlebags????

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 04:28 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts
Default can a Dyna look cool with saddlebags????

First of all I got to say I have never liked the looks of saddlebags on any bike. I have always had throe over bags for my Sportsters but I never liked how they looked on them, I always felt they just stick out to much and looked to big on my Sportys. I only used them 2 or 3 times a year for weekend rides. I got to say I loved having the storage space. I spent the rest of the time strapping things to my sissy bar. In time that gets to be a little old too.
So now I have a new FXDC with VH pipes and SE round AC. For the first time in my life I'm seriously thinking of hard mount bags. Looking at HD #79300-06C or #90369-06C. They also have a synthetic Leather bag that is cheaper but I'm not sure how the synthetic would hold up. My Dealer is giving me a good deal on them if I buy before the end of the year.
So now it comes down to, do I want looks over function or function over looks. Now I know that some people think bags look good on a bike...I wish I was one of them. I'm over 50 now and not having to strap stuff to my bike all the time is starting to sound good to me. I spent a lot of time on the 'Pictures by model Dyna' last night but most pics of bags was from a straight side shot, it's the look of them on angles and from the back I think that bother me the most.
So looking for advice, how many think bags can look cool on a Dyna or think they look, well lets just say not so cool. Maybe I should just buy the bags stick them on my bike and get over it.... but for me that's not easy...Thanks.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:32 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Absolutely.... however I say get these bags: www.leatherpros.com

Old 12-22-2009, 04:39 PM
jackyl
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

dont like the looks but serve a purpose, so i do what i got to do. just get detachables so you can take off easy jackyl

Old 12-22-2009, 05:04 PM
clicker01
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what you mean GPH, I'm not crazy about saddles either, but I'm really struggling with storage solutions. There are a couple I've seen on this forum with hard bags, kinda old school (police style??) that look real good. But I think I'll wind up with Drifters, I think saddleman makes them. They have contours that fit around the shocks, so no turn signal relo is required. They look pretty good.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:06 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

'jackyl'
Your bike looks a lot like mine would with bags, discounting the handlebars. From that side shot they look good. As for detachables that wouldn't do me any good I would be right back to the same thing I was doing on my Sportsters.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:10 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I like to think so... here are the FLH bags i made work for my bike

Old 12-22-2009, 05:12 PM
Hounds2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check out leatherlyke bags...reasonable price, detatchable, lockable and holds more than most. goodl luck..

scott

Old 12-22-2009, 05:41 PM
08fxdf43202
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GPHDXLC
First of all I got to say I have never liked the looks of saddlebags on any bike. I have always had throe over bags for my Sportsters but I never liked how they looked on them, I always felt they just stick out to much and looked to big on my Sportys. I only used them 2 or 3 times a year for weekend rides. I got to say I loved having the storage space. I spent the rest of the time strapping things to my sissy bar. In time that gets to be a little old too.
So now I have a new FXDC with VH pipes and SE round AC. For the first time in my life I'm seriously thinking of hard mount bags. Looking at HD #79300-06C or #90369-06C. They also have a synthetic Leather bag that is cheaper but I'm not sure how the synthetic would hold up. My Dealer is giving me a good deal on them if I buy before the end of the year.
So now it comes down to, do I want looks over function or function over looks. Now I know that some people think bags look good on a bike...I wish I was one of them. I'm over 50 now and not having to strap stuff to my bike all the time is starting to sound good to me. I spent a lot of time on the 'Pictures by model Dyna' last night but most pics of bags was from a straight side shot, it's the look of them on angles and from the back I think that bother me the most.
So looking for advice, how many think bags can look cool on a Dyna or think they look, well lets just say not so cool. Maybe I should just buy the bags stick them on my bike and get over it.... but for me that's not easy...Thanks.
It sounds to me like you really don't like the looks of saddle bags.
What 'fuction' are you after... groceries, beer runs, traveling? What do you need to 'store' for most of the trips you take?
Hard, quick detach type bags are always going to 'stick' out from the bike.
If you've got a rack on the back just use the same throw overs from the Sporty... when needed.

Most of my rides are day trips with plenty of refreshment stops. I personaly don't like carrying what won't fit into my pockets. I carry 2 small bungees in my jacket pocket so I can strap it onto the bars when not needed... but thats not very often.

About twice a year I take a week ender. I throw a pair of bags over the rack and strap on a Tombston bag, it's all I've ever needed.

Way over packed, some where along the Blue Ridge... Sep 2008.
Name:  SATWBRPW2008.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  148.3 KB

Old 12-22-2009, 05:47 PM
godjunior
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hello to all, have been browsing the forum for some time but never contributed until now. I too thought that saddlebags didn't look quite ''GOOD'' but loved to use them on my old suzuki I had. Last year traded in the Suzuki for a DYNA FXDX 2001. Missed those saddle bags so now that it is out for the winter have decided on making my own since I couldn't find any that really had the shape and size that I wanted. Didn't want to relocate my flashers so am custom building my own which will fasten to the flasher and front pin. Took some trial and error for the aluminium fastener plate and getting a template for the saddlebag but have finished the first side and am now working on the second. When it is done will post the finished pictures.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:49 PM
car5car
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw bags for $80 at flea market. I would never pay more than 200 for pair of plastic boxes. Check Ebay.

Quick Reply: can a Dyna look cool with saddlebags????