Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 FXD Catalytic Converter in Muffler - Slip-ons & Remapping?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 09:50 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cornishman
Are you sure the cat is in the mufflers? I thought it was in the down pipes like the Fat Bob. If you are just adding pipes you should not need a remap as the ecu will adjust to such a small change, you are not putting anymore air through the motor.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HARLEY-DAVIDSO...item19b9130c51
In this ebay set of Fat Bob pipes i think the cat is shown in the down pipes,i not sure but would the Wide Glide be the same?
All I know is that the dealership (where I bought the bike) service department told me that the 2010 Super Glide catalytic converter is in each muffler.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:56 AM
cornishman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krusty1
All I know is that the dealership (where I bought the bike) service department told me that the 2010 Super Glide catalytic converter is in each muffler.
This was a similar post. If you look behind the heat shields you should be able to tell. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-question.html

Old 01-14-2010, 09:28 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by cornishman
This was a similar post. If you look behind the heat shields you should be able to tell. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...-question.html
'Course, the Super Glide stock exhaust system isn't two into one, and there's no crossover ...just two separate staggered mufflers...it would make sense to put one in each muffler in that sort of configuration.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:39 PM
craftsmandave
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok crazys, slow down.

More air=MORE HEAT. AIR FUEL RATIO IS 14.7 TO 1 STOCK.

dont pay harley to program the ECM. Just buy the vance and hines fuel pack and then you can make the changes as you change your intakes and exhaust.

If you get into internal engine youll need a more sophisticated tuner that you dial in your timing ect....

BUt for just stage 1 fuel and air.

Nothing is easier.

If you dont reprogram or put on the fuel pak. You Delphi will go into a raw Flood mode and give you terible fuel econemy and go way way way rich. But it wont let it hurt the engine. But you WILL foul out the spark plugs.

SUper Dave

Old 01-14-2010, 11:23 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by craftsmandave
Ok crazys, slow down.

More air=MORE HEAT. AIR FUEL RATIO IS 14.7 TO 1 STOCK.

dont pay harley to program the ECM. Just buy the vance and hines fuel pack and then you can make the changes as you change your intakes and exhaust.

If you get into internal engine youll need a more sophisticated tuner that you dial in your timing ect....

BUt for just stage 1 fuel and air.

Nothing is easier.

If you dont reprogram or put on the fuel pak. You Delphi will go into a raw Flood mode and give you terible fuel econemy and go way way way rich. But it wont let it hurt the engine. But you WILL foul out the spark plugs.

SUper Dave
OK, Craftsmandave....what's your opinion about heat becoming any kind of issue on this 2010 FXD if I just leave the whole thing stock (original mufflers with cats). I don't really care about the quiet sound or improving power (already have faster and louder bikes)?

Old 01-15-2010, 06:03 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A little while ago I posted a question on if a 2010 Super Glide has a catalytic converter, and if so, where is it...header or muffler.

I found out it's in the muffler (which to my mind makes the solution to this problem a bit easier).....if I put a set of slip-on mufflers (which will certainly open up the exhaust end of the engine, and should reduce heat) do I need to remap? I'm not talking about changing intake side?

I'm not much interested in increasing power (it's a light bike, and if I want acceleration and speed I'll just ride my Valk), but a more throaty exhaust on the FXD would be nice, and a cooler running bike will be a happier bike.

The dealer says they've seen people do it, but they'd advise against it...it should be remapped. Obviously, they have an incentive to remap...but they might well be right. Any opinions out there?
Slip-ons will not reduce heat (unless your thinking cat converter heat). Most of the HD engine heat is due to lean closed loop running (optimum for emissions). With slip-ons and airfilter, a stock HD will tend to run a bit leaner. I don't know how much heat you will feel from the HD cat, but it seems to be located farther away from the rider. You will feel certainly the heat from the heads.

The only practical way to reduce engine (head radiated) heat is to richen the closed loop A/F a bit. Fuel packs don't do that. Piggy back PCs do that because they disable the O2 sensor and never run closed loop. XiEDs do that by tricking the ECU into thinking its running leaner than it actually is. With a more sophisticated tuning kit (a $400 TTS for example) you can easily dial in exactly what you want and change the MAP whenever you modify.

With a richer AF, I think the cat will get hotter and I have no idea if you will feel it or damage (melt) it.

The HD download basically resets the AF back to stock given the standard mod, which will still run hot. I've read that its a waste of $$.

Its confusing, there are many options and products, each with their fans. The simplest method may be an Xied or PC and perhaps have a tuner set up the bike. Currently the best thing for late models is to use a TTS tuning kit and dial the bike in exactly how you want it to run (mileage, performance, heat, drivability, decel pop) .

Its complicated but researching the EFI forum may provide some insight

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/elect...-injection-55/

To boil it down: Instead of spending $$ on most likely interim EFI solutions, spend the extra $100 and get the right tool. Install the exhaust and airfilter yourself and use a TTS to dial the bike in for the drivability you prefer. I don't know what to tell you about the cat, but obviously removing it will take it out of the equation.

Beware that your dealer will want to sell you a SEST just because its an HD product.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:45 AM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member

Coldcase, thanks for taking the time to write a detailed response...it is much appreciated!

The heat doesn't concern me as far as riding comfort. I live in the the northern US, in a city with a lot of mountain and secondary rural roads (great riding!) and sitting at a stop light or bumper to bumper traffic is not a problem.

I've just been reading a lot of threads about cats and that the necessary lean F/A mixtures to meet EPA standards excess heat, as well as a few friends, that claim that the longevity of the newer Harley's are suffering.

I bought the bike to ride it, not tinker around with performance or sound enhancing options (or to hang chrome on it).....I'd be quite satisfied to leave it as it is if it will deliver the high mileage reliability of my metrics. It currently runs great. If the heat isn't a longterm issue for the engine, that's exactly what I'll do.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:03 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the bike to ride it, not tinker around with performance or sound enhancing options (or to hang chrome on it).....I'd be quite satisfied to leave it as it is if it will deliver the high mileage reliability of my metrics. It currently runs great. If the heat isn't a longterm issue for the engine, that's exactly what I'll do.
Well the HD Vtwin is air cooled which puts it at a disadvantage for longevity compared to liquid cooled metrics... although some have been ridden many many miles, HDs are not noted for long life without maintenance. They are relatively simple to work on, however. If you just want to run the motor a little cooler for longevity insurance, then plug in an XiED (if available for the bike) and add an aux oil cooler. Don't touch the exhaust or intake. Touch the exhaust only if you want a different sound.