Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 FXD Catalytic Converter in Muffler - Slip-ons & Remapping?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 06:34 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2010 FXD Catalytic Converter in Muffler - Slip-ons & Remapping?

A little while ago I posted a question on if a 2010 Super Glide has a catalytic converter, and if so, where is it...header or muffler.

I found out it's in the muffler (which to my mind makes the solution to this problem a bit easier).....if I put a set of slip-on mufflers (which will certainly open up the exhaust end of the engine, and should reduce heat) do I need to remap? I'm not talking about changing intake side?

I'm not much interested in increasing power (it's a light bike, and if I want acceleration and speed I'll just ride my Valk), but a more throaty exhaust on the FXD would be nice, and a cooler running bike will be a happier bike.

The dealer says they've seen people do it, but they'd advise against it...it should be remapped. Obviously, they have an incentive to remap...but they might well be right. Any opinions out there?

Last edited by krusty1; 01-12-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:00 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure you can do that and not get it tuned but it'll still run hot. Maybe even hotter since it will breathe out a little better.

I would talk with Jamie at Fuel Moto; one of our forum sponsors.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:38 PM
hommes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been there done that...

...through fuel moto. I put rush 1.75's on and ran with no trouble. Then I got worried about the posts on here...hundreds of them that basically agreed that adding air and a burn wouled help big time.

So I put the round SE a/c on and had harley put the Stage 1 burn on the chip.

It's all good...bike does run better. If there is a hp increase it is small but I wasn't really looking for speed....I wanted the bike to run and look better. I hope this helps.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:47 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by hommes
...through fuel moto. I put rush 1.75's on and ran with no trouble. Then I got worried about the posts on here...hundreds of them that basically agreed that adding air and a burn wouled help big time.

So I put the round SE a/c on and had harley put the Stage 1 burn on the chip.

It's all good...bike does run better. If there is a hp increase it is small but I wasn't really looking for speed....I wanted the bike to run and look better. I hope this helps.
It does help. Might as well do it right. Thank you!

Old 01-12-2010, 09:25 PM
hommes
Road Captain
Default What I paid

Krusty...I bought the SE round A/C at the dealer for $150. I was able to install myself and think anyone could do it as it comes with easy to read instructions.

The stage 1 burn at the dealership was $150.

Rush pipes from fuelmoto were $250.

My total was $650. and think it was a good deal for the money performance wise.

TIP. If you can install pipes and A/C yourself do it first them ride your bike to get the burn. Don't put parts on after burn as they play into the way the dealership sets the fuel. Good luck

Old 01-12-2010, 09:38 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member

No problem Hommes!. I've installed aftermarket mufflers many times...it's the sophisticated programming and O2 sensors that concern me....when I made changes before I would just watch plug color. These days the fuel management system would probably try to adjust for the changes I made...within its ability to do so....and I could end up with an even leaner and hotter running engine. I'll get it remapped after the slip-ons (how do you like the Rush sound?). I really sort of like the current aircleaner cover look...maybe it's my metric background.....a metal aircleaner on a metric bike is unusual....I was surprised it wasn't chrome plated plastic when I took it off for the first time.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:50 AM
hommes
Road Captain
Default Save the cover

If you get the round SE a/c you can use your chrome cover you have now and just bolt it on...no problem. The kit for $150. doesn't come with a cover.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:50 AM
cornishman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by krusty1
A little while ago I posted a question on if a 2010 Super Glide has a catalytic converter, and if so, where is it...header or muffler.

I found out it's in the muffler (which to my mind makes the solution to this problem a bit easier).....if I put a set of slip-on mufflers (which will certainly open up the exhaust end of the engine, and should reduce heat) do I need to remap? I'm not talking about changing intake side?

I'm not much interested in increasing power (it's a light bike, and if I want acceleration and speed I'll just ride my Valk), but a more throaty exhaust on the FXD would be nice, and a cooler running bike will be a happier bike.

The dealer says they've seen people do it, but they'd advise against it...it should be remapped. Obviously, they have an incentive to remap...but they might well be right. Any opinions out there?
Are you sure the cat is in the mufflers? I thought it was in the down pipes like the Fat Bob. If you are just adding pipes you should not need a remap as the ecu will adjust to such a small change, you are not putting anymore air through the motor.http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HARLEY-DAVIDSO...item19b9130c51
In this ebay set of Fat Bob pipes i think the cat is shown in the down pipes,i not sure but would the Wide Glide be the same?

Old 01-13-2010, 12:44 PM
hommes
Road Captain
Default Cornishman

I am pretty sure your bike is the exception and was the first model to move the cats to the header pipes, but i wouldn't stake my life on it.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:46 PM
hommes
Road Captain
Default Cornishman

Sorry, looking back at your post it seems you are on a streetbob...the Fatbob is the bike I am referring to in my last post.

Quick Reply: 2010 FXD Catalytic Converter in Muffler - Slip-ons & Remapping?