Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Triple tree removal questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 09:07 AM
dwg dave
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Triple tree removal questions

I知 getting my triple tree痴 chromed on my 07 Wide Glide and have a few questions that I知 not sure about after reading the manual. 1. Will the fork stem slide out of and back into the neck with out removing the neck bearings? 2. How do you remove the fork stem from the lower fork bracket? is it screwed in? 3. Will the chroming affect the process of re-installing the forks due to a slightly reduced diameter of the fork holes from chroming??

Thanx for any help you can offer.

Attached Thumbnails Triple tree removal questions-the-bitch-008.jpg  
Old 01-22-2010, 09:14 AM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dwg dave
I知 getting my triple tree痴 chromed on my 07 Wide Glide and have a few questions that I知 not sure about after reading the manual. 1. Will the fork stem slide out of and back into the neck with out removing the neck bearings? 2. How do you remove the fork stem from the lower fork bracket? is it screwed in? 3. Will the chroming affect the process of re-installing the forks due to a slightly reduced diameter of the fork holes from chroming??

Once your fender, wheel and axle are removed, loosen the torx bolts on the side of the lower and upper triple tree, this will allow the fork to slide right out of the triple tree. But, before you do any of that, I recommended that you break lose the large stem nut on top of the upper TT. It's 1 3/8" socket. once your forks are out, remove the stem nut and things will start to come off. There is also an adjuster bolt (looks kinda like a gear, you'll know it when you see it) If you are unsure about anything I highly recommend that you swing down to your local dealer and pick up a service manual. It's worth every penny!!!

Old 01-22-2010, 09:14 AM
ackman1968
Elite HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The stem will slip out of the top bearing leaving it in the frame. The bottom bearing can be slid up the stem by grabbing it and pulling it up, the only part of the bearing that's press fit are the races and you won't need to mess with those. I can't help you with the rest since I have no experience with them.

Old 01-22-2010, 09:40 AM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by dwg dave

The guys above have done some front end work recently so they are givin you the 1-2, pretty much explains it. You do mention the fork stem from the lower fork bracket, the lower bracket is called the lower triple tree, and the stem is press fitted in it with a c clip holding it together on the bottom, leave it alone, you would have to heat it and run a press to remove it. The uppper fork bracket is called the uppper triple tree and it comes off pretty easy, you will need to chase down your turn signal wires that go into the frame and unplug the connector because they fish through a hole in the upper triple tree. The fork cap as rese mentioned above, well how far do you want to go with this, you don't have to loosen the fork cap but you do have to remove the fork tube from the triple trees to send out for chroming so you might as well change the fluid in the fork tube, so in essence you should loosen the fork cap while it's clamped in the triple trees, makes it much easier to break the loctite torque.
At this point I would highly recommend to get the service manual, you need to know specifics on how many ounces/inches of fluid to put in fork tubes, the torque on specific bolts and the tightening sequence for the bearing adjuster for the fall away check. Good luck friend, lets see pics when it gets finished up......

Old 01-22-2010, 10:27 AM
dwg dave
Advanced

I do have the manual and I'm quoting the part names as the manual calls them, and ya I always thought they were called upper and lower triple trees but I guess not in the manual. Guess I leave the stem alone and give the chromer a call about leaving it in and the reduced diameters of the fork holes. Thanx

Old 01-22-2010, 10:39 AM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

No Dave, your dead on the money man, I have scratched my head a number of times looking at terminology in the factory manuals, and asked myself, do they mean this? Retainer = bolt, keeper = nut, washer = bushing, hugh

I'm not a chromer, so I would deffinitely ask the guy what they do as a normal practice, because lot of people don't own a hydraulic press, not sure if there is some way to protect the spindle from being chromed, like a metal sleever, but I'm sure your guy has the experience and knowledge to "get r done"

Old 01-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Vins
Club Member

For those who can't figure how to remove the chrome stem cap off; it just unscrews! Who knew? Was trying to figure it out and accidentally did. Looked all over the internet (why I landed here) and couldn't find anything. The parts catalog and maintenance manual do not show this or describe it.