Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baker hi-torqie Inner primary bearing won't fit?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:20 AM
billybobber
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baker hi-torqie Inner primary bearing won't fit?

Hi all,
Anyone try this bearing yet to replace the stock IPB with the hopes it will last longer than the stock unit on an 06? I just ordered one and it looks like there is no way it will fit.

- the inner and outer race as well as the rollers come assembled as 1 piece.
(the stocker needs the IR pressed on to the tranny shaft and the OR & rollers pressed into the IP case; the baker as a single unit seems impossible to install)
- Rollers are covered with a steel plate.
(making it impossible for the bearing pocket oil passage to do it's job; it doesnt appear to be a fully sealed, self lubricating unit however)

I'm on bearing #3 now and will press HDHQ for the full mony fix when this newest bearing fails but I honestly don't trust the monkeys at our local shops to work on my bike for ANYTHING especially this where the tranny case is an integral part of the engine mounts, suspension and rear wheel alignment. (past work done by them a joke- lessons learned!!)

I have a good friend who is an awesome machinist and he wonders if it may be possible to machine the dowel holes right into the tranny case if a proper jig was designed (hello JIMS).

I'm also wondering if a new tranny case casting was designed to provide room for the dowel holes or if the 06 tranny case design was simply used to machine the dowel holes in??. (If 06 case used, my friends suggestion could possibly work)

I may just trade her in for a FB low if this **** persists. I just don't want another effing payment ...effin motor company....

Thoughts on all this stuff? Anyone have a pic of a doweld 07 tranny case?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-31-2010, 11:53 AM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did this swap and it was a breeze. There is a snap ring that holds the bearing in place. Remove it. The old bearing and race will press right out.The race on the shaft needs to come off. I used my dremel with a cut off wheel and cut 2 grooves opposite each other about 80% of the way through with out scoring the shaft. I took a small chisel and small hammer and smacked it one time and the race popped right off, took 5 minutes total.Freeze the Baker bearing overnight and it will go right in. Put the snap ring back in and use the oil seal that came with the bearing.There it is.

Last edited by thedonthere; 01-31-2010 at 12:37 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:01 PM
billybobber
Cruiser

hmmm...... freeze it. Good idead. I'll try that...to clarify freeze just the bearing, Then install it in the inner primary case, install snap ring then the oil seal and then install the entire inner case over the tranny shaft ? Gotta do all that pretty fast before the bearing warms I suppose. After all that, You really mean it will just slide right over the tranny shaft? I didnt freeze the last inner race I just intalled lately and it was a pain to do with the correct install tool. That's why it's hard to believe it will just slide on if frozen. Yes, I know that freezing makes the race bigger but enough to just slip on seems a stretch to me. I'll give it a whirl when this one fails that I just installed in December

Thanks a ton for the advise. How long ago did you do this and do you think this bearing will hold up? I guess time will tell. Keep us posted

Old 01-31-2010, 08:22 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put a few bearings in the freezer overnight, and a few cases in the oven for a short time "low heat".

Old 01-31-2010, 08:30 PM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by billybobber
hmmm...... freeze it. Good idead. I'll try that...to clarify freeze just the bearing, Then install it in the inner primary case, install snap ring then the oil seal and then install the entire inner case over the tranny shaft ? Gotta do all that pretty fast before the bearing warms I suppose. After all that, You really mean it will just slide right over the tranny shaft? I didnt freeze the last inner race I just intalled lately and it was a pain to do with the correct install tool. That's why it's hard to believe it will just slide on if frozen. Yes, I know that freezing makes the race bigger but enough to just slip on seems a stretch to me. I'll give it a whirl when this one fails that I just installed in December

Thanks a ton for the advise. How long ago did you do this and do you think this bearing will hold up? I guess time will tell. Keep us posted
I haven't done this yet at least put a baker ipb in, but I did do a HD ipb bearing replacement, but I think you meant freezing the race, makes the race slightly shrink in size, not bigger. I don't believe the transshaft is the tight tolerance that is the concern here, it's what the race fits in, which is the inner primary housing. Lot of times you freeze the race, (shrinks) and heat the race housing, (expands). So if your race is in the freezer over night, then I like to take a heat gun to the housing for a couple minutes to warm it up, not barbecue, just warm it up, then get the race and should slide right in with minimal effort.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:39 PM
billybobber
Cruiser

D'oh...

I just thought of something pretty significant with using this baker bearing. If...if it fails after installing, you will not be able to remove the inner primary case to change it unless some one has ideas or methods I'm not aware of. Because it's a single unit, that inner race will be rock solid on the tranny shaft.

P.S. Thanks for clearing up the cold vs hot..your right..cold shrinks, heat expands- I should have picked up on that

Old 01-31-2010, 08:45 PM
billybobber
Cruiser

Originally Posted by cactusred
I don't believe the transshaft is the tight tolerance that is the concern here, .
Actually both inner and outer races are tight tolerance. The outer needs to be pressed into the case with a bench press. (your method might help here though) and the inner needs to be presssed onto the transshaft with a special jims tool.

Last edited by billybobber; 01-31-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:54 PM
billybobber
Cruiser

On the above post I was referring to the stock races being really a tight fit. Maybe your right and the baker unit inner race is a looser fit and it slides right on to the transhaft. Thedonthere, can you confirm this? Did the baker inner race just slide right onto the tranny shaft??

Last edited by billybobber; 01-31-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:59 PM
cactusred
Road Master
Received 160 Likes on 103 Posts

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong,

On the stock on, yes the outer race/bearing is press fitted in the housing and the inner shaft/race is press fitted on the mainshaft, so in that sense you are correct. But the new bearing to my understanding, a baker ipb is a one piece unit, eliminated the inner shaft race, which solves the problem of the inner race walking so you would still be press fitting the outter/race/bearing into the housing but now the bearing/inner race slides on the mainshaft and would slide right back off if it failed down the road.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:05 PM
billybobber
Cruiser

The baker unit does not eliminate the inner race. It is included along with the rollers and outer race as a single unit that can not be taken apart which is what I believe solves the walking problem. I have the baker bearing right here in front of me lookin at it

Last edited by billybobber; 01-31-2010 at 09:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Baker hi-torqie Inner primary bearing won't fit?