Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't want to start new Oil Discussion but

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 03:38 PM
godjunior
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Don't want to start new Oil Discussion but

Sorry about this OIL question but have been looking at the OIL related section of this site and am no closer to a solution to my interrogations about oil. OK, I'll ask anyways and hope that I don't get anybody angry here for asking oil questions.

1. Since I plan on changeing the oil at every 5000 km in the engine, why can't I simply use Diesel Engine Oil 20w 50 (ROTELLA as example) rather than all of those RED LINE and AMSOIL or MOBILE 1 (which are very hard to get here in Québec). My brother has a drag car and uses this oil and has never had any problem.

2. Tranny Oil, same again. From reading numerous posts in the oil related section, seems like the main difference between Tranny Oil and Engine Oil comes down to viscosity. Seems it's only thicker (ex: 75w90). Is this a fact? Seems some even use traditional motor oil in all three areas without much diffence if I rely on what the contributors wrote.

3. I have not seen any values written in relationship to the Primary Oil, (ex: 75w90, 20w50). Why is this, is it because it is a special OIL for CLUTCHES ONLY? Then again, I see (from the oil section of this forum) that people use traditional 20w50 oil in there too to some degree of success!!!!

4. I have also seen in the OIL SECTION that Harley doesn't seel their Primary Oil anymore! Is it replaced by some other brand directly from the dealer??

Asking all these questions because all of the brands that come up most often in the OIL SECTION are brands that are very hard to get for a home mechanic like me in the area that I live in. Can get them from the states but once I calculate the freight and duties it comes close to 20 bucks a pop (per litre) which is quite expensive. So I am looking at my options which are ATF oils that I used to put in my SUZUKI that I had before.

Will ATF be as good (for regular oil changes at 5000 km) than any other synthetic or regular oils.

Thanks people for all your answers cause after reading tons of posts in the oil section I'M still confused and maybe moreso.

Thanks

Old 02-02-2010, 05:43 PM
2Sore
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Answer for question #1.. ..don't run hard above 80° outside temp.
http://lubricants.petro-canada.ca/en/products/603.aspx get the "blend" 15-40

Answer for question #2...go to auto parts store and get a 75-90 wt. gear lube..I use to use Slick50 gear lube but I can't find it anymore.

Answer for question #3...in the primary, use the Duron-E 15-40 regular diesel oil. Or Type "F" ATF..you should get a couple hundred thousand miles out of motor if you change it at 5,000 km. It's colder in Canada. The heat in the states fries oil.

Last edited by 2Sore; 02-02-2010 at 05:46 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-02-2010, 05:43 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear you live in Quebec. Can't you get Redline, Amsoil, Mobile1 from Toronto or one of the other provinces?

Old 02-02-2010, 06:25 PM
godjunior
Cruiser

Redline has to come from the states, thus the freight and the duties cost a bundle once they get to my door, and I tried to order AMSOIL from AMSOIL canada via the web but when I checkout it tells me that the products that I have ordered are not available in the province that I live in. Waiting for a response from Amsoil Canada on this.

Weird!!!

Old 02-02-2010, 11:41 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Rotella will work fine in your engine and your primary... run at least the 15w/40 and since you can get the Shell stuff, use the SPIRAX® ASX 80W-140 gear lube in the tranny. I'm running 75/140 Mobil-1 synth... and it loves it.

Engine oil and gear oil is not the same, and it's not just viscosity. Gear lube is formulated to protect in high load applications (gear face to gear face) Engine oil is formulated to provide protection in a "shear" environment... bearing loads... main bearing, rod bearing... etc.

I have tried ATF in the primary, and I have gone back to just a good non-synthetic engine oil in there. The ATF was just too noisy, and from my own analysis of the oil when changed... there was too much metal in it. - did not do a good job of lubrication IMHO.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:34 AM
godjunior
Cruiser

Well THANKS so much for the replies. You have shed some light on my problem, moreso than you can imagine.

Will make my oil changes MUCH MUCH simpler.

Thanks again for your comments

Old 02-03-2010, 10:30 AM
mikel61101
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Royal Purple for ALL fluids....