Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

painting bolt heads

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 11:08 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default painting bolt heads

lots of people on here painted their own lowers/trees/etc.

was wondering if the same process would work on bolt heads.

i already got all my parts pc'd but now i'm buying lowering blocks and a new horn cover, both of which come with bolts that aren't black.

can i just sand and hit the bolt heads with spraypaint? i dont really feel like running to the powdercoater for 5 bolts...

anyone with advice for/against this?

Old 02-08-2010, 11:51 AM
LoveHate
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spraypaint on metal is not a good solution. It is not sustainable.

Do the following:

- Clean the screws very well with detergent, which removes oil and similar contaminants.
- Scribd heads of the bolts well. Use sandpaper 80-100.
- Cause a thin layer of two component glue on the heads of the bolts.
Glue like this:
- Use sandpaper 250-300 to align the surfaces to be painted.
- Painted with spray.
- Cover the bolt head with a paper tape to protect paint from the wrench.

It is always better to use powder coating, but the 5 screws, really not worth it.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:26 PM
panic_fan
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found that no matter how well I prepped and how many coats the paint always cracks when I torque the bolts. Bolts are easier to protect with tape but torque screws and allen screws crack the paint every time. I end up using touch-up paint or a black magic marker to fill in the cracks...annoying.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:48 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member

yeah, relatively annoying is what i anticipated, but going to my local PC guy for what i'm thinking will be 5 bolts?

i figure some good sanding and a few coats of a spray paint that adheres well (with some black nail polish to touch up after i've snugged my bolts up) will save me headache over waiting a few days and shelling out some money to have bolts pc'd.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:14 PM
panic_fan
Tourer

If they're just standard bolts, consider picking up a few extra and asking your powder guy if he'll do them next time he's shooting your color for someone else. Black is fairly common so you shouldn't have to wait too long. Since he'll already have the color going he may be willing to wave the set-up fee and just charge you a couple bucks...if you've already been throwing him some business. Then just swap them out with the painted ones.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:49 PM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Suprised no one else has come up with this, take your bolts down to your local hardware store, a real one not Home Despot, and replace them with grade 8 which not only comes in black but is a stronger bolt.Or go to a Hobby store and buy a black paint pen and be done with it.Magic marker or sharpie will also work but not as good as the paint pen.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing's gonna stand up well to wrenching. I agree with the black paint pen or tiny brush. Not positive on this, but I always assumed that even a grade 8 black bolt might rust.

Or maybe find some sort of cap to snap over the bolt (and paint the cap), if one will fit there.

I'm sure you'll find the right answer eventually.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Kagan
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hot Toppers come in black. Just saying...

Old 02-08-2010, 09:33 PM
coachstorms
Tourer

i have used the black appliance epoxy touchup paint on all my fasteners that i wanted blacked out. Folks think it is powder, and with a $5 bottle you can cover about a million bolt heads. And if the stuff ever chipped off (which it hasn't in about 5k miles) i can probably afford another bottle sometime in the future...but that's just me.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:29 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member

hot toppers are a good call, i have a complete set, did my whole engine when i got the bike.

i guess i'll start there and see if any of the left overs will snap on to the bolts.

otherwise i'll hit the bolts with some cleaner and sandpaper when i get them, tighten them all down then go in with a paint pen or some touch up paint.

thanks for all the input.

Quick Reply: painting bolt heads