Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer cost to install 14" apes on Street Bob?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 03:37 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

the 2thread below may be able to help you if you decide to tackle this yourself.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...ect-begin.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-...es-z-bars.html

Old 02-21-2010, 04:10 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put mini apes on my brothers Fatboy, I didn't time myself but it seemed more like 4 hrs. It's an easy job.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Wonkaboy
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShortFatMexican
No sh*t huh! BTW, where did you get those black turn sinals w/ the smoke lenses. I've seen the lenses but not the signals in black. I've been looking...
The signals are from the "Night Rod Special " ...........

Old 02-21-2010, 06:37 PM
RoadShark
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine in my garage..........while eating Cheeto's and drinkin beer

Old 02-21-2010, 07:26 PM
noel serice
Novice

Man it sounds like i need to start charging people. I didnt realize there was that kind of money in changing handle bars. Ive done quite a few handle bar changes and also ran the wires inside the bars and it didnt take 8 hrs. Oh and i put some 14" apes in mine and didnt have to change anything, all i had to do was pull some slack. But on the other hand every brand of handle bars are bent different.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:44 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ShortFatMexican
I'll keep looking though...has to be HD authorized so I won't have any warranty issues.
Sez who? Harley absolutely can't deny a warranty claim just because you had work done elsewhere or did it yourself. They can deny claims for work that voids their warranty, regardless of who does it including a HD dealership. But changing out bars? NFW unless shoddy workmanship causes a problem, and again that would void HD warranty even it a dealership did it.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Birdman2778
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I helped a buddy put 16" apes on his bike. It was pretty easy. Just time-consuming. It went pretty much like this:

Lift gas tank - drink a beer
Strip controls off old bars - drink another beer
disconnect wires from harness - have some more beer
go to gas station for more beer
remove old cables, etc
put on new bars and set up to your liking - another round or 2
put it all back together after another beer run

I recommend you take pics of the wiring harness for when you put it back together. It's funny when you have a few wires crossed and the left turn signal starts the bike, and the start button becomes the horn (although my friend didn't enjoy that as much as me).

Take it slow and give yourself plenty of time. I wouldn't be surprised if you did it in less time than what the dealer quoted. It really isn't that bad.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:06 PM
07BlueScoot
Cruiser
Default 14" Burly narrows here

Burly narrow 14" here, on my 07 street bob. Installed them myself, I do have the manual which helped some but most of the info I collected from here (Thanks to everyone who has posted on installing bars). I can absolutely tell you that I had to do wire extensions and I had to change EVERY cable. Stock cables were just not long enough no matter how I routed them. My advise do it yourself dude, its so cool to get it all back together everything working again. You can stand back drink a beer and admire your handywork! I did not think it was hard at all, being my first bar swap I did take my time (didnt have anything else to do). You can save soooo much money by doing everything yourself plus the pride in doing it.

Attached Thumbnails Dealer cost to install 14" apes on Street Bob?-100_0936.jpg  
Old 02-21-2010, 09:21 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

I agree that the amount is totally absurd for installing handlebars, but compared to what some of the fools on this board have paid for bar installs, that price seems right in line or even a bit better than what has been the norm.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:32 PM
rastajacob
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I decided to buy 16" Paughco's and install them myself....A. I am pretty handy with a wrench and B. I can't afford what the Stealership charges...No F'n way I am going to pay $800-$2000 to have these put on...Thank God for good friends who have already done it before...They are gonna assist me as this is my first time...I just can't get over these prices...I am already bummed about paying the $250 for the 1,000 mile service, I couldn't imagine paying that to put on bars !!!

Quick Reply: Dealer cost to install 14" apes on Street Bob?