Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Explain this "Stage" thing to me...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 09:12 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FIDDY3
Step 2 of Stage 1 done! Power commander V on the way, should have it this week!

Still curious for those of you who know, with the power commander, do I just load a map from the power commander site that matches the mods I have and upload it from my pc then have it fine tuned on the dyno later?

Jaison
The Heavy Breather in black really looks good on your bike and it works pretty well too.

If you got your PCV through Fuel Moto they will program the MAP for you before they send it if you tell them what exhaust and AC you have. If you didn't buy from them you should check with whomever you did buy it from.

Whatever you do; don't run it with the new AC and pipes before loading a better-than-stock MAP on it. It'll run way too lean and you risk damage to your motor. Bad juju. You can run it with one or the other but not both.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:33 PM
rdondes
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sniper77 said it best.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:22 PM
FIDDY3
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what are we talkin as far as running both mods without a new tune? The PCV is on its way and I expect it probably by friday. With the cool temps here in Colorado am I safe to ride this week or just leave it parked? The Harley Parts jockey that sold me the breather said I could run it for a while with the cool temps, but what does he know, right? I didnt get my PCV through fuelmoto, so I would still like some advice on how the PCV's are tuned....

Jaison

Old 03-15-2010, 06:07 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your PCV should come with the instructions, but I think you have the right idea. Load a MAP that is close and ride. Dyno shops that do PCVs have the PCV software that makes tuning it quick and easy. If you know what you are doing around EFI you may be able to fiddle with it yourself but without a A/F sniffer and dyno you are basically working in the blind, except for your pant's seat.

Your ECU will pretty much adapt to the pipes and intake closed loop, so you should be fine cruising around. I wouldn't ride aggressively, however.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:40 AM
FIDDY3
Cruiser

Thanks coldcase, that's exactly what I wanted to know!

Old 03-15-2010, 07:44 PM
FIDDY3
Cruiser

Anyone else have an opinion on how long I can safely ride without my tuner? Will a few days of easy riding be fine? Im only at 250 miles anyway so Im not beating on it due to break in anyhow. Im sweating this lean issue pretty bad, but its damn nice and I wanna ride!!!

Jaison

Old 03-15-2010, 09:41 PM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by sniper77
Stage equates to the number of dollars $US that you spend trying to make your H-D perform faster than someone else's,. I.E. $1000 = stage 1 - $2000 = stage 2 $3000 Stage 3 etc., etc., etc.,

.....and I'm only half joking
lol.... if it was only 3g for the 'stage 3' hardware.... I'd drop coin in a heartbeat.... but it's about twice that... roughly

Old 03-16-2010, 02:24 AM
CrustyAngel
Advanced

i would wait and not ride it at all, if i was you, if something did go wrong, you could probly say goodbye
to your warranty for any repairs, if it was because of that or not
running in should be done with the bike a bit rich if anything
not worth the risk i think
anyway the big breather looks great on your bike,
i just wish screaming eagle made a black filter for them or do they
instead of having to leave the rain coat on all the time to keep the black look

Last edited by CrustyAngel; 03-16-2010 at 02:39 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:45 AM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FIDDY3
Anyone else have an opinion on how long I can safely ride without my tuner? Will a few days of easy riding be fine? Im only at 250 miles anyway so Im not beating on it due to break in anyhow. Im sweating this lean issue pretty bad, but its damn nice and I wanna ride!!!

Jaison
Cold Case laid it out for you pretty good.

After you get your pipes and AC on go to the website, download the best/closest map to your bike and see how she runs. After that it's just a matter of getting the bike on the dyno to let a (good) tuner do their job.

No one can tell you if it's ok to ride with just the downloaded MAP. You can check the plugs but with EFI that isn't the reliable method it used to be.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:50 PM
Big Jon 1
Cruiser

Here's another option to ponder. Return the PC-V, get a Screamin Eagle Race Tuner ( SERT)_and have it dyno tuned. Yes It will cost more, but you end up with a custom tuned bike that is tuned to your pipes and breather. You will know it is done right and won't have to worry about maps, overheating, a bunch of extra wires and connectors crammed in your bike,and all that stuff. Just a thought for ya.

Quick Reply: Explain this "Stage" thing to me...