Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One more reason why I love my Dyna...

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 07:16 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikel61101
My bike is named my DIRTY GIRL for a reason... MY philosephy is this if its nice enough to clean its nice enough to ride... Did I mention she NEVER says no...
Whoa, triple post!

That's my kind of thinking! I'd like to take a ride with you dude!

Old 04-02-2010, 08:00 PM
rounder
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by spaceblue
Hey Centerline. Looking at your photos make me wonder. Is a Fat Bob a better handling bike than a Custom? This question is from a sportbike rider looking to make the switch to a Harley.
Umm XR1200...more power, better handling, lighter than any dyna. Of course if you want more of a cruiser, you gotta get a dyna, and anyone that has rode a fatbob considers it to be the best handling big bike Harley makes. Of course, you can change the seating position(bars/peg location), suspension, tires of any Dyna and make it handle much better.

And yeah, smooth dirt roads are fun! I like the look of the bike afterward....Kinda like it has a story to tell as opposed to the look what I just pulled out of the garage from under a cover to go to bike night with of most Harleys.

Last edited by rounder; 04-02-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:26 PM
MZBuckeye
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly. There were some parts of that road that were NOT smooth though. Plus it was only one lane, but two-way traffic, luckily I saw no other vehicles coming the other way. I did have to pass an Amish buggy though; there was barely enough room. I could've reached out and petted the horse as I went by, I was afraid I might spook it or something, but it paid me no attention.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Missing the point of this post. My FLHTC easily handles everything from interstates to dirt roads, dry to drenching downpours. Love my Dyna but definitely wouldn't call it the best bike in the HD lineup.

Old 04-02-2010, 11:20 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

I do roads like that in my wife's Camaro. What's your point?

Old 04-03-2010, 12:10 AM
spaceblue
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

Originally Posted by Taddeoeg
Missing the point of this post. My FLHTC easily handles everything from interstates to dirt roads, dry to drenching downpours. Love my Dyna but definitely wouldn't call it the best bike in the HD lineup.
Sorry Tad, my bad. I kinda hijacked your post with my question, but I knew what you were trying to say. Like you I've done it all, back roads, dirt roads, mud roads,etc. It's just time for me to put my *** on a Harley is all, and I'm looking for input from current Dyna owners.

As far as my saying Custom I meant Dyna. That's why I asked here, and with the original topic being bike handling, well you get it.

I am looking hard at the Dyna Custom as a replacement for my sportbike. I was just thinking the Fat Bob might be better on a mountain road, with the dual front discs and larger rubber.

Just wondering out loud about a comparison. Personally, I do like the look of the Custom better though.

Again sorry for the hijack.

Space

Last edited by spaceblue; 04-03-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:13 AM
Centerline
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rounder
Umm XR1200...more power, better handling, lighter than any dyna. Of course if you want more of a cruiser, you gotta get a dyna, and anyone that has rode a fatbob considers it to be the best handling big bike Harley makes. Of course, you can change the seating position(bars/peg location), suspension, tires of any Dyna and make it handle much better.

And yeah, smooth dirt roads are fun! I like the look of the bike afterward....Kinda like it has a story to tell as opposed to the look what I just pulled out of the garage from under a cover to go to bike night with of most Harleys.
I believe the Fat Bob (w/ mid controls) to be the best handling Dyna with it's superb (for a cruiser) combination of fairly low weight (again cruiser) dual front discs, great rake and trail numbers combined with its shorter wheelbase and tire contact patches. It's handling however is much compromised in twisty riding at speeds above about 60mph with the Dyna goofy rubber floppy sloppy engine tranny mount. Even with aftermarket stabilizers, curvy road generated forces are gonna overwhelm the limits of it's frame and start flexing that frame at higher speeds.

The XR1200, superb handling, high power-to-weight ratio (for a Harley) raised for increased lean angle, proper foot control placement for spirited riding......thus, alas doomed to failure in the U.S. market.....like the VRod Streetrod that sadly was produced only one season.
.......sorry for the re-hijack, back to the scheduled thread...