Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I cheated on her yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 02:21 PM
jto667
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I cheated on her yesterday

Thats right, went to the "Demo Days" at the local dealer and rode a Street Glide, had to see what they were all about. I like the looks of em, kinda got the best of both worlds, problem I have is they are EVERYWHERE! Nice thing about my WG is there aren't a ton of em around.

Here's my pros and cons

Pros:
I like the air suspension, was a smooth ride
I like the front fairing, it was super windy but didn't feel it hardly at all
The stereo was cool, although a loaded Ipod/MP3 player is a lot cheaper!
96 ci was gutsy and smooth

Cons:
I didn't fit for **** on it....I'm 6'4 with a 36" inseam, was way to cramped, granted it didn't have highway pegs, but the grip endcaps were damn near to my knees while my feet were on the boards.
Exhaust is to quiet.
Heel toe shifters suck IMO, ya its an easy fix.
The biggest con of all, starting over with a stock bike again and spending all the coin to make it "mine"! I'm going on 4 yrs with my 06 (May15th is our anniv), I'm not ready to start buying all the accessories all over again!!! Neither is my checkbook!

Not sure if this is a pro or a con, but the Mrs. really liked it lol

For those considering a bike change, find a demo days and take advantage of it. I'm glad I did. When it was done and I got back on my WG, I felt right at home!!!

Old 05-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice review. There are mini-apes available for Glides that should solve your knee problem and would likely make the arm position more comfortable for a guy your size. I'm 5'9" with a 30" inseam so my problem on my FLHTC is just the opposite of yours - had to have it lowered so I could comfortably support and back it up. And I tilted my bars back towards me for some bend in my elbow.

Heel-toe takes a little getting used to but I have to say I really wish I had it on my Dyna. Exhaust is easy, as you know.

As for the Mrs., stick a Tour Pak on there with the QD setup and the wraparound backrest and she'll love you! I'd probably use the relo kit that moves it back about an inch (Kuryakin, IIRC) just because you're so big. Give her a bit more room.

Oh, and remember that the Street Glide is lowered from the factory - again, a good thing for me but maybe not you. I lowered my Electra Glide to match the Street Glide - you might be the first guy to LIFT a SG to stock EG height! At least you're wouldn't be just like all the others! LOL.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:38 PM
jto667
Tourer

Thanks a ton for the info. My only drawback is spending the coin to lift, move this back, forward here and there to make it comfy is gonna be spendy. My WG....other than a 3" forward control extension kit from kury fit perfect. And that I came by cheap, craigslist rocks.....$50!!! I was just fine with the pegs for 4 yrs and have only had the extension for 2 months. It will happen some day....just didn't happen yesterday, and its not gonna happen anytime soon. My dads got an Ultra, I'm curious how that fits.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:57 PM
mudbeast2
Tourer

I rented a SG in Vegas this past summer and logged over 400 miles in 2 days. I drove it through Red Rock, across Hoover Dam and up and over Mount Charleston. Bike ran great, I will buy one one day and the first thing I would do to it would be a stage one with some loud pipes. I told the guy at the dealership that the bikes are too quite and he told me it was due to insurance reasons.

Old 05-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Panthers65
Tourer

I ended up riding my dad's 06 Road Glide before I even bought my WG. It's definitely more cramped than my WG is now, but I was doin 85 down the interstate and didn't even realize it, it was a sweet ride! When I become an old far I'll have one

Old 05-03-2010, 08:27 PM
tully_mars
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 70 Posts

I agree, I am 6'2" and the touring bikes are built for shorter folks. They ride awesome, but for long trips you got to stretch out. That is why I am a Dyna person 1st, forward controls on a WG or a Fat Bob and you can be comfortable all day.

I do have an EG, but had to have highway pegs to make it comfortable when I hit the road with it. Otherwise my knees get tired from being bent so much when feet are on the floor boards.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:38 AM
HarleyGirl76
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jto667
Thanks a ton for the info. My only drawback is spending the coin to lift, move this back, forward here and there to make it comfy is gonna be spendy. My WG....other than a 3" forward control extension kit from kury fit perfect. And that I came by cheap, craigslist rocks.....$50!!! I was just fine with the pegs for 4 yrs and have only had the extension for 2 months. It will happen some day....just didn't happen yesterday, and its not gonna happen anytime soon. My dads got an Ultra, I'm curious how that fits.
You've got a great looking bike and have put a lot into it. Its tough to think about starting over with the customizations, but at least you got to try something different. I just went from the 2003 to a Muscle and am thinking the same thing as the custom paint is being done. Shoulda stuck with the '03. Still, at least you got to cheat on her with your wife's permission

Lisa

Old 05-14-2010, 11:56 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I recently (couple months ago) tested '10 Road Glide and Street Glide ... I like 'em both, but it was kind of strange ... like you, felt they were cramped (I'm 6'4" too) ... also felt like they both had a higher center of gravity ... didn't feel as comfortable just manuevering in the parking lot ....

Nice torque compared to a stock 88 ... and they each have a lot of great features to recommend them ....

There are limited means to move the boards forward ... just an inch or so, from what I was told ... don't have similar extension kits like for pegs or Softail floorboards ....

Like the fact that there's another gallon of fuel in the tank ....

Nice fit and finish ... shiny and new ... oh well ... not enough upticks in my mind to overcome the downtick of a new note and all the other "taxes" for modding it to my liking (and especially for my riding comfort/ergonomics) ....

Nice to get another perspective, but getting back on my bike was like putting on a comfortable article of clothing after taking off a necktie or something ....

R/
'Chop

Old 05-14-2010, 12:44 PM
FlatDF
Tourer

I'd love to get out on a bagger sometime just to see if I could ever own one, but I just missed the local dealer's demo days. What I'd REALLY like to take for a spin is the new Ducati Multistrada 1200S...damn near the opposite of my dyna but I'd love to see how the 'other half' are riding these days.

Chris

Old 05-14-2010, 12:58 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

That was my biggest surprise after riding a Street Glide..... it felt cramped and smaller than my Wide Glide. The misconception that it was a big heavy touring bike musta made me assume it was going to feel bigger too. It was a horrible riding position in my opinion. I'm sure that would change with time after getting used to the new position, but I'd immediately have to throw some taller bars on there for sure.

After trying out the Street Glide, I decided to get hard bags, hard tour pack, and a stereo on my bike... rather than buy a Street Glide or any other touring model.

Quick Reply: I cheated on her yesterday