Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike runs like crap!! Please help diagnose

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 08:53 PM
olno7
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bike runs like crap!! Please help diagnose

06 Street Bob - Other than the Inner Primary Bearing I've never had any problems with her. Two days ago I topped off the gas tank with 2.1 gallons of premium fuel and wife and I took off. 30 miles into the trip, bike was really running rough and when gearing down RPM didn't decrease, pulled into a gas station and bike never went to idle, kept running about 2000-2500 RPM. Finally shut it down, on start up it backfired then started and idled fine. About 30 more miles, same thing. Pulled into the in-laws and wouldn't idle. As I'm shifting down I let off the throttle and RPM's decrease, when I pull in the clutch to shift down RPM's increase??? Thought I got some bad gas, drained it, refilled, no change. Seems to run ok initially on start up but after about 10 miles, gets progressively worse, missing, surging then won't return to idle. Backfires when I start it up after the bike is warm.

400 miles ago I added a PCIII with V&H Short Shot Staggereds from Fuel Moto - ran great until now - any help or suggestions would be really appreciated!!!

Old 06-01-2010, 08:56 PM
trip20
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe it's something simple like throttle/idle cables need adjustment? When you're bike is shut down and parked, roll full on the throttle and let go... does it snap back to idle position sharply? If so, also turn full lock left and right and do the same thing. Should snap back to closed throttle with out feeling like it's binding.

Just something simple to check first. The knowledgeable dudes will be here shortly.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:57 PM
dogcop727
Road Master

is it possible to unplug your PCIII just to see if it idles down. had a problem once with my SERT that it had a up and down idle. dont know if you can do the same with the PCIII

Old 06-01-2010, 09:30 PM
bord3r
Cruiser

unplug the pcIII and try her out... or it could be bad distributor cables,bad plugs, maybe a sticky throttle cable? i honestly dont know id say unplug it and see what happens

Old 06-01-2010, 09:38 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you wash it or ride in the rain before it started doing it? Several people have had issues with water getting in the PC plug. Personally never have had a issue but some have.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:39 PM
lilspanky
Cruiser

sounds like the throttle is sticking to me either in the hand controls or cables.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:43 PM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by bberck
Did you wash it or ride in the rain before it started doing it? Several people have had issues with water getting in the PC plug. Personally never have had a issue but some have.

+1. Check the connectors at the ECM and The Power Commander, if there is any moisture there it will arc across the pins causing exactly the problems you are talking about. Dry them out good and add dielectric grease before putting the connectors back together.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:55 PM
lilspanky
Cruiser

Originally Posted by joe.1955
+1. Check the connectors at the ECM and The Power Commander, if there is any moisture there it will arc across the pins causing exactly the problems you are talking about. Dry them out good and add dielectric grease before putting the connectors back together.
But wouldnt he have the same problem on startup and not just 30 miles down the road?

Old 06-01-2010, 10:17 PM
olno7
6th Gear

Washed it just before the problem started... I'm usually careful when washing but was in a hurry and went to the car wash. I'll check that out tomorrow and see if there's any moisture in the PC connection or anywhere else, dry and dielectric grease and see if that doesn't take care of it. Thanks for all the responses, I've checked the throttle and idle cables, no apparent problems there.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:20 PM
joe.1955
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by lilspanky
But wouldnt he have the same problem on startup and not just 30 miles down the road?
If it's really wet - yes.

A little bit of moisture and it can be intermittent. Could also be the connector not fully seated and pivoting back and forth with vibration.

Quick Reply: Bike runs like crap!! Please help diagnose