Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Dyna Glide Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models-9/)
-   -   Hate fuel injection like me? Consider this! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyna-glide-models/528026-hate-fuel-injection-like-me-consider-this.html)

BLKBAGGER 06-15-2010 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by jcbii (Post 6868474)
Thanks, that's just what I wanted to read. I have a '95 FXDL that I am currently setting up for a trip to Reno, NV from So Cal. I'm taking the 395 and I know it goes up in elevation to somewhere around 4,500 feet. If I have to worry about fouled plugs and changing jets, then I have the wrong bike.

I have done that ride from San Diego only I went over the mountain to Tahoe after spending one day in Reno. I ended up spending a week riding around Tahoe and the surrounding area. Very nice ride that I plan on doing again soon. you will love it.

ghostrider69 06-15-2010 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by cbz1200n (Post 6867535)
Sell it and buy a carbed bike. You will probably spend more on converting it over to a carburetor than you would for a good tuner and a few dyno runs.
CB
Oops, quoted the the wrong post.

This mod is in my plans.

S&S Super E kit $450.00
Thunderheart ignition $285.00
Fuel petcock $35.00 to $120.00 depending on taste
Fuel petcock adapter $25.00
Nice low idle and a cooler running engine and you can swap pipes and intakes without uploading a new map = Priceless

VERSUS:

Spending about $900.00 for one of the better units to get a low idle and cooler running engine.

2003flhtci 06-16-2010 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by BLKBAGGER (Post 6867621)
I went back to a carb bike after owning a FI for 6 years. Im happy with my choice. And it runs great.

So did I...no regrets at all.

XLCR4GM 06-16-2010 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by jcbii http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...s/viewpost.gif
Thanks, that's just what I wanted to read. I have a '95 FXDL that I am currently setting up for a trip to Reno, NV from So Cal. I'm taking the 395 and I know it goes up in elevation to somewhere around 4,500 feet. If I have to worry about fouled plugs and changing jets, then I have the wrong bike.

I have ridden my '77 Ironhead Sportster to STREET VIBRATIONS in Reno, NV. from Redondo Beach, CA. the first three years in a row that they had the event there. I have never had any problems on that run or any of my other friends on their Big Twins either. One year we did get stopped by the cops in a little town that we passed through because they thought that one of the women passengers with us was riding topless. With nice big boobs and a very small Bikini top, she wasn't topless. I nice sight to see for sure, but not completely topless.

BoomerBob 06-16-2010 12:45 AM

My '99 FLHT has a HSR42 Mikuni and the 07 Softy has EFI. When that EFI starts giving me trouble and costing me money for replacement parts it's history. The Mikuni kicks ass. Great throttle response and reliable. I'm glad my touring bike has a carb considering I could be a long way from home if it does give me any trouble which is less likely with a carb. The only sacrifice is gas mileage. I can live with that.

SURFOR Chop 06-16-2010 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider69 (Post 6868594)
This mod is in my plans.

S&S Super E kit $450.00
Thunderheart ignition $285.00
Fuel petcock $35.00 to $120.00 depending on taste
Fuel petcock adapter $25.00
Nice low idle and a cooler running engine and you can swap pipes and intakes without uploading a new map = Priceless

VERSUS:

Spending about $900.00 for one of the better units to get a low idle and cooler running engine.

Does the Super E kit include the intake manifold? Need to ensure you get that .... Screamin' Eagle has a couple that retail for about $75-80 .... Also make sure you get a cylinder head breather kit (or make a system ... Mud has a couple posts on the "under $50" thread) ....

Although you could spend $900 for the alternative EFI system; I think realistically, you could spend half that (or less) and get a self-tunable system that would match the carb performance and be pretty trouble-free ....

When I was having trouble with my EFI system install, I really felt like just ripping it out (with my rage and raw aggression, at the moment) ... but, with patience, I was able to 'crack that nut' and couldn't be happier with the way it runs now ....

R/
'Chop

11sec.shovel 06-16-2010 11:03 AM

"Not to mention the 900cc buell chopper I had that would out run the Yamaha, used a single mikuni ran like a scalded ape and with less much less CCs...Surely this 96 should have more power then it currently does, pay harley a fee and they'll hook it up to their magic machine and unleash some ponies for you such BS.. Sorry to vent but this is frustrating.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr.../icon_evil.gif"

Unfortunatly,It'll still be slower than these..Even with a carb conversion

reded 06-16-2010 12:12 PM

I'm seriously considering this. Even after pipes, cams and TTS mine still refuses to sound like a Harley should.

rounder 06-16-2010 12:24 PM

IMHO having a carb is great. I think you should do the swap.

8541hog 06-16-2010 12:45 PM

What do you do in a couple years when the EPA requires inspections like CA does and if you don't have the factory equipment you don't have a vehicle license?
It's coming....
Personally I have never had a carbed bike that runs as consistently as the EFI I have now. Too hot won't start, too cold won't run smooth, Playing with the choke... No thanks
i would hate to spend $1,000 now and find out in a couple years I have to rip it all out or sell the bike.