Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rider Seeking Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Signal Major
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lockednloaded
I've got to say, Searwarrior, I am disappointed in your answer. I had never driven a bike in my life and bought a brand new 08 Honda Shadow 750cc. Within a few months of my new license, I was disappointed in my ride and begging for more. Lost a lot of $$ on that deal.
Of course I drive a truck for a living and should have some driving skills, but I am also a woman and you guys know how badly we drive (lol).
If he feels comfortable with his purchase, don't scare him. I was told by the salesperson the day I picked up my first new bike with no miles on it that I would drop it - everyone does. Got pissed as hell and never went back there again. And, knock on wood - have never dropped my bike.
Aequitas, thank you for your service and don't let your wg intimidate you - or anyone else. You'll do a fine job driving that bike.

+1

I don't subscribe to the idea that everyone (100%) drops their bikes. It's horsefeathers. Buy what you love and don't settle for less- and always keep the rubber side down!

Old 07-06-2010, 07:22 PM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Not every new rider drops their bikes. I went through the scenario of buying a $100 honda to learn on and then upgraded when I felt comfortable and wanted more power. It all worked out good for me and many people I grew up riding with.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:44 PM
blksiryder
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i started on a kx80 dirt bike when i was 24 rode it for 15 min went out got a kawasaki zx6r rode that for 2 years and then moved to a vstar 1300 than a wide glide. i passed the MSF basic riders course and the MSF experienced rider course in 3 month of having my zx6r, and just starting to ride. just use all the tools they teach you and you will be fine. just like the training you have from the ARMY. if you put it to use you will be fine. Semper Fi and safe riding

Old 07-06-2010, 11:18 PM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by lockednloaded
I've got to say, Searwarrior, I am disappointed in your answer. I had never driven a bike in my life and bought a brand new 08 Honda Shadow 750cc. Within a few months of my new license, I was disappointed in my ride and begging for more. Lost a lot of $$ on that deal.
Of course I drive a truck for a living and should have some driving skills, but I am also a woman and you guys know how badly we drive (lol).
If he feels comfortable with his purchase, don't scare him. I was told by the salesperson the day I picked up my first new bike with no miles on it that I would drop it - everyone does. Got pissed as hell and never went back there again. And, knock on wood - have never dropped my bike.
Aequitas, thank you for your service and don't let your wg intimidate you - or anyone else. You'll do a fine job driving that bike.
Searwarriors advice wasn't bad. Not everyone drops their first bike, but many who buy larger 1st bikes do. You said you were disappointed with his answer but you yourself started with a Honda 750...a very good beginners bike....that you rode for at least a few months. Just because you were begging for more a few months later doesn't mean that the smaller bike didn't make it easier for you yo learn and keep you off the pavement. No beginner just gets on a bike and rides like a seasoned veteran. They all have their shaky moments....and the easier the bike is to handle, the better chance they have of keeping the bike up. The only mistake you made, and the reason you lost a lot of $$$ was because you bought new, and maybe paid too much for the Honda to begin with. Anyhow, that's my 2 cents. I'm sure the OP will do fine with his new WG.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:56 PM
aequitas89
Stage II

i want to thank everyone for their advice i appreciate it all. i do realize i may be rushing it buying a bigger bike to start off with i was kinda hoping my size might be a positive factor im 6'3" and about 230 lbs by no means small. but i am unexperienced so i really have no idea what to expect. i do not regret the buy whatsoever but do appreciate the forwarnings. if i do drop it, it will be nothing other than a learning experience for me. i hope that one day, years from now i might have the experience and wisdom you all have and can be the one giving the advice to one such as myself now. thanks to all for your support we do appreciate it

Old 07-07-2010, 12:34 AM
JekyllnHyde
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 250 Likes on 146 Posts

Good luck aequitas89. You seem like a good dude. Be safe out there.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:51 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I rode dirt bikes as a kid and learned on a 'street bike' on my uncle's Honda 350 ... then 20 years later bought a 'big twin' (twin cam 88 FXD) ... was a little rusty, but being about your size it was no problem ... had a couple of close calls the first few months, but am pretty much past that phase (knock wood) ....

I wouldn't sweat it ... just pay attention to the MSF training and take it onboard ....

As far as the sound ... you will probably be disappointed with either slip ons (that is, just taking the stock mufflers off and replacing them ... or slipping on ... new aftermarket mufflers) ... or full replacements (such as the Vance and Hines 'Big Radius' 2-into-2 or 2-into-1) ...

As noted, to get the 'classic' Harley sound, you'll need to get a EFI tuner that will allow you to drop idle speed by at least a 100 RPM (wouldn't advise much more than that) ... that, and swap out the stock cams for something that will let your beast breathe a little easier ....

I'm not a big fan of the stock 'Tommy Gun' exhaust the MoCo is now putting stock on the Wide Glides ... would recommend a 2-into-1 though if you go with a full replacement system ... it'll preserve your low-end and mid-range torque better than a 2-into-2 system ....

Best of luck with your new Wide Glide ... thanks for your service ....

R/
'Chop
(an American naval officer)

Old 07-07-2010, 01:10 AM
Dynamic
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Still running stock stuff. Neighbors are happy and I like the mellow burble. The weight gripes me, but no tuning hassles and spares are always available cheap on craigslist.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:47 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't try to turn at the same time you're coming to a stop. That's can cause a drop. I came close. Also, no passengers until you're more experienced. The MSF course will save your life. Good luck over there and enjoy that beautiful new bike!

Old 07-07-2010, 08:29 AM
Hooker 6
Tourer

Originally Posted by Signal Major
+1

I don't subscribe to the idea that everyone (100%) drops their bikes. It's horsefeathers. Buy what you love and don't settle for less- and always keep the rubber side down!
+2 I was away from riding since HS (small Honda), took Rider's Edge, and bought a 2006 Heritage the day I got my M/C license. Since then I added a 2002 Lowrider. If your'e not stupid (you're not), and ride to your capabilities, you'll be just fine. I also wanted the big radius on my Lowrider - until I listened to them and read about them. I added SE slipons (ebay) and am still making up my mind on a system. I got a nice sound at a low price - $75.

Thanks for your service. Enjoy your time in the states - but be safe - you are a national treasure. I retired after 26 years in 96.

Quick Reply: New Rider Seeking Advice