Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 Recalibration FACTS inside

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 09:56 PM
plumbertom
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whatever, The truth is the parts and service divisions have a different agenda than engineering. Their main aim is to separate you from your dollars not necessarily while making your bike run it's best. And of course they will try to tell you that using a non H-D part will void your bike warranty which is actually illegal.
So believe what you want.
I've been riding Harleys for more than 20 years and street bikes for more'n 40.
I've seen and heard all kind of BS from those that think they know as well as those that are supposed to know.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:49 AM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by joflewbyu2
The master tech told me that high flowing pipes with ramps and not louvers would need recalibration. He has 20 plus years experience and races HD too.
Perhaps, but it's just as likely that he has one year experience repeated 19 times. He/you are going to have to explain how just putting pipes on is going to affect the calibration since you aren't adding any additional air into the system? You can't remove more than you put in and if you don't change the A/C you're not going to get more in no matter what pipes you put on.

Old 07-17-2010, 06:54 AM
Wicked Cricket
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every motorcycle mag tech editor that I've read has gone on record that a stage I upgrade on any HD from '07 on up (O2 sensors, closed loop EFI) DOES NOT need a recal. I'll follow that recommendation before a HD press release. Worse case, go stage I and then ride it, if you think it needs a recal OR you want one to bump the RPM limit up, then go for it.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:13 AM
dynarule
Tourer

How can you tell if the ECM has been recalibrated? My 06 was supposed to have been done when i got the bike new back in November of 05. It has the o2 sensers. I am not completly sure the it was ever done even though i got charged for it.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:36 AM
nathanw
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Taddeoeg
Perhaps, but it's just as likely that he has one year experience repeated 19 times. He/you are going to have to explain how just putting pipes on is going to affect the calibration since you aren't adding any additional air into the system? You can't remove more than you put in and if you don't change the A/C you're not going to get more in no matter what pipes you put on.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:43 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by joflewbyu2
*Recalibration is required for proper installation, and will allow engine to rev to 6200 RPM. See dealer for details. Labor cost not included.

CAUTION: Dealer installation required – failure to comply may
result in a lean fuel condition and severe engine damage.

CAUTION: Harley-Davidson EFI systems will not compensate
for any component changes. Do not mill heads or increase compression
in any way. Do not use cams other than those supplied
in the kit. Do not change kit components. Failure to comply may
result in engine damage.

These are the facts right from the 2010 Screamin' Eagle catalog. No guessing, no false statements that the newer fuel injected bikes don't need recalibration because the FI will adjust to the increased airflow. Do as you like, but my HD is under warranty, re calibrated and runs great.
What gives you the idea that what the MoCo prints in it's sales catalog is FACT? It's simple marketing. Ever watched late night television? Infomercials are fun to watch but nothing FACTUAL about them. All they're trying to do is get your money.

Do you realize how many thousands of riders bought the "stage 1 dealer download" which is the simple recalibration after pipes and stage 1 a/c are installed? Usually at a cost of about $150 for 10min worth of work. Also, most of those riders generally wasted $150 because they eventually went to a different product such as SERT, SEST, TTS, Thundermax, TTS, PC III/V, Fuelpak,etc.

It's well known that the stage 1 download is not an exact recalibration. Very generalized. Sometimes it works good. Sometimes it doesn't. Either way, the dealers and the MoCo are getting $150 a pop for it.

Can you refute those FACTS?

[EDIT] I should have just posted...

Old 07-17-2010, 09:59 AM
jstreet0204
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To me "facts" would be datalogs showing fuel trims and wideband o2 results. Not an excert out of a catalog where the goal is to help MOCO's bottom line.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:58 AM
plumbertom
Tourer

Originally Posted by dynarule
How can you tell if the ECM has been recalibrated? My 06 was supposed to have been done when i got the bike new back in November of 05. It has the o2 sensers. I am not completly sure the it was ever done even though i got charged for it.
If you have a tach run it up til the rev limiter kicks in. if it's above 6K it's been recalibrated.
With out a tach I don't have any Ideas.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:03 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by plumbertom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynarule

If you have a tach run it up til the rev limiter kicks in. if it's above 6K it's been recalibrated.
With out a tach I don't have any Ideas.
Could DynaRule contact the dealer he bought the bike from, or any dealer for that matter. They can hook it up and know quickly whether it was done or not.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:44 AM
army_eod
Road Warrior
Received 589 Likes on 291 Posts

So here is my first ever vid...of Stage 1 Mods...It works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4utg7LEb6ZA

Quick Reply: Stage 1 Recalibration FACTS inside