Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn Signals NOT self canceling anymore

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 11:30 AM
rwt
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Turn Signals NOT self canceling anymore

My '02 FXDL's turn signals quit self canceling the other day. Is their some little "owner" trick to get them working again, or are replacement parts required?

Old 08-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rwt
My '02 FXDL's turn signals quit self canceling the other day. Is their some little "owner" trick to get them working again, or are replacement parts required?
Don't know if this helps or not, but I think the same Tip Switch that shuts your bike down if it falls over cancels the turn signals. I think.

A diagnostic device should give you a fault code if the accelerometer (Tip Switch) has failed. On my bike, it's called a Bank Angle Sensor (BAS) and is located in the Turn Signal Module (TSM).

I think. At least it's a starting point.

Found another guy that cleaned his speed sensor and that cleared it up. Whatever.

Last edited by Grendel4; 08-03-2010 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:11 PM
rwt
Tourer

I assume that if it's the bank angle sensor in the TSM, then that would require the replacement of the TSM. I can't see why cleaning the speed sensor would cause the turn signals to start self canceling again. Got any insight on that possibility?

The bike's running fine except for having to manually cancel the turn signals. Are there any issues with just running it without self canceling turn signals?

Old 08-03-2010, 07:30 PM
mikeault
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rwt
I assume that if it's the bank angle sensor in the TSM, then that would require the replacement of the TSM. I can't see why cleaning the speed sensor would cause the turn signals to start self canceling again. Got any insight on that possibility?

The bike's running fine except for having to manually cancel the turn signals. Are there any issues with just running it without self canceling turn signals?
Well if you forget to manually cancel the signals you won't be able to stop turning!

Sorry, just kidding. It's fine, just a pain in the *** hitting the button again or looking down and seeing that you've been riding for 20 minutes anticipating a right turn.
I would agree that you'll need to replace the TSM to correct the problem.
I don't see how cleaning something irrelevant would fix it.
You could call your dealer and ask to talk to a tech. Ask him if it needs replaced or if there's a reset or something. If you have a cool dealer they'll at least answer you fairly.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:34 PM
rwt
Tourer

Originally Posted by mikeault
Well if you forget to manually cancel the signals you won't be able to stop turning!
THAT WAS MY PROBLEM! I had to ride in circles.

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into replacing the TSM.

Old 08-03-2010, 07:42 PM
rwt
Tourer

I ran across this info that might explain how cleaning a speed sensor could effect turn signal cancelling.

The TSSM, serves many functions. Timing for turn signals as picked up by the speed sensor to control the time out distance/time. Speed sensor feeds speedo thru the TSSM and also the ECM for controlling fuel flow to the injectors. Last but not least, bike security module.

I suppose a dirty speed sensor could adversely effect the turn signal time out function. Maybe I'll try cleaning the speed sensor first. It can't hurt.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Manan
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let us know how it works out. My turn signals cancel most of the time. But not always. Was wondering myself what sensor needed cleaning????

Old 08-03-2010, 08:42 PM
rwt
Tourer

I just cleaned the speed sensor. There was very little in the way of metal filings clinging to the sensor (good news), and there was no evidence of contact to the sensor tip. I cleaned it anyway. After reinstalling, I took the bike for a test ride. I'm sorry to say, there was no improvement in the self canceling turn signals.

I'm guessing that it's a TSM problem, but I'll make sure all connections are making good contact before installing a replacement part.

I'm ok with manually canceling the turn signals, but it's a pain in bright sunlight to see the "dummy" arrows blinking a reminder. Besides, the bike just needs to be "right" or I have a problem with it. I'm too picky I guess!!?

Old 08-03-2010, 09:14 PM
powg
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn signals

ive got an 02 fxdx ....dont have all the sensors and such ...try and disconnect the battery for about 10 minutes ...check all bulbs/sockets on the circuit, may have what i call lead/residue ash on them...then drink a cold beer ...no wait ..start with a cold beer then proceed

Old 08-14-2010, 09:40 AM
rwt
Tourer

I tracked down my problem with the self canceling turn signals. Since on the '02 models, the self canceling circuit runs through the speedometer, and since I had just changed out the instrument housing a few days prior the problem developing, I decided to verify the connection to the speedometer before jumping to a more costly conclusion. As it turns out, I didn't get the connector clicked into the speedometer all the way. It was connected enough that everything worked for awhile, but vibration caused it to loosten just enough to lose contact on the circuit for the self canceling turn signals (even though the speedometer/odometer worked fine). I made the connection and test rode the bike. Everything works like new. I love simple solutions!

Quick Reply: Turn Signals NOT self canceling anymore