Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Changes

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2006, 11:41 AM
wildfire
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Changes

How often should you change the oil on an '06 FXD Super Gilde? Currently, I am using normal oil. After the next oil change I plan to switch to synthetic. Any recommendations on how often the oil should be changed?

Old 09-04-2006, 11:47 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Oil Changes

1k, 5k, 10k, etc when using Synthetic in the motor.....

1k, 2.5, 5, 7.5, 10, etc... when using conventional....

These are the MINIMUM intervals, youe desire may alter these....

Your owners manual has a section in the back that will tell you what needs done and at what interval....

Old 09-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

I do all 3 every 2500 although I am thinking of pushing the tranny and primary out to every 5000 since they are always so clean, but I would like to see less metal shavings before I do so.

I run:
Engine: Mobil 1 20W50
Tranny: Redline shockproof heavy (just put in yesterday)
Primary: Redline MTL (just put in yesterday)

Old 09-04-2006, 11:51 AM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The suggested fluid change intervals are in your owners manuel. I would say wait until after your 1K mile service before switching to synthetics to allow your engine to break-in properly. I change all of my fluids at 3500 miles, and yes I know thats sooner than H-D recommends for the Primary and tranny but I feel its just a few more dollars for added protection, and I use Mobil1 20w50 V-twin in the engine and primary and Mobil1 75w90 synthetic gear oil in the tranny. I feel that you can go a lil longer if your using a good oil filter and are using a good synthetic.

John

Old 09-04-2006, 02:02 PM
clayman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine done at the dealers for the first service, i now have 6000 kms and have changed my oil twice. When i did the first one it was shortly after the first service and that was to get the syn3 out, i put in amsoil 20/50 in engine and primary and amsoil 75/90 in the trans. When i took the syn3 out there was lots od metal fuzz on the drain plugs, i just dumped it a second time a few days ago and the metal fuzz on the drain plugs was way less esspessially in the tranny. So i am very happy i switched.

Old 09-05-2006, 01:48 AM
docsg
Tourer

I have an 05 FXDL and plan to do my own fluid changes from here on out. My owner's manual says that the tranny gets 24 oz. and I see some reporting that the 6-speed gets 32 oz. I recently drained the tranny and refilled with 24 ounces of Mobil 1 75/90. The bikes seems to shift smoother and quieter. My problem is that I have Python pipes and the tranny fill plug is in close proximity to the rear pipe. I can get it out ok (made a modified hex wrench) but checking the dip stick is very difficult to do. What information I am seeking is this: Is the 24 ounces the proper amount when tranny is totally drained (after warming up the bike)? After changing the tranny oil I rode 250 miles straight and no leaks, etc. I know I should get a service manual but fluid changes and accessory installations are about the limit of what I want to tackle. Thanks in advance for a reply.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:10 AM
clayman
Road Master

My manual says 32oz for mine but if i put all that in i am over full, i have been told that it wont hurt but i tend to be a little fussy about things being where they should be. I would always check, but if you do it once and then follow that same procedure you be good all the time.

Old 09-05-2006, 02:45 AM
docsg
Tourer

Clayman

What year bike do you have? I assume it is an 06' and they increased the capacity in the 6-speed tranny. I'm going to fabricate a tranny dip stick that I can use to check the tranny fluid. The dealer gave me a spare tranny dip stick and I'm going to cut off the fluid level indicater and only use the plug. I will then make one the same length that simply sets in the whole and can be easily retrived for checking the fluid level. I would like to get the accessory tranny dip stick for the Dyna but the Python pipes prevent it's use. The last time the dealer checked the tranny fluid he "buggered" the female hex nut because it was hard to get to. Since then I modified a hex wrench and the plug backs out easily, however slowly. I just want to make sure I'm not over/under filing the transmission. The crankcase oil is no problem even though the Python's are close to the cap as well. They are great pipes and checking the tranny is only a minor aggrevation. On my bike you have a cold check for the engine oil (half between the full and add mark) and a hot check (full mark) while the bike is on the jiffy stand.

Old 09-05-2006, 04:38 AM
clayman
Road Master

Thats correct 06 fxdbi. Ive got the V&H big shot stagerds, and getting at the oil cap is a bit of a pain for me when its hot.

Old 09-05-2006, 12:51 PM
bobcowan
Road Warrior

For some odd reason, this particular subject comes up all the time. How often do you change fluids in your daily driver? And why that interval? Use the same logic to determine intervals for your bike.

The factory says every 5K for oil, 10K for other fluids. That's what I'll do.

Quick Reply: Oil Changes