Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help/Suggestions Need Suspension/Wheel upgrades.......

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 09:30 AM
JZ28
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help/Suggestions Need Suspension/Wheel upgrades.......

08 Street Bob - Have acheived maximum lean angle in both directions. Drug the primary cover and the exhaust around corners (V&H Short Shots for reference). Currently running stock wheels/tires/suspension. Would like to upgrade to progressives, relace the front with a 21", put a 180 on the rear, and get a True Track. I really want to be able to drop the rear by 1" or so, but I am already having clearance issues. Anyone got any ideas?

Attached pics of primary cover and exhaust for your amusement.

Attached Thumbnails Help/Suggestions Need Suspension/Wheel upgrades.......-leftsidesmall.jpg   Help/Suggestions Need Suspension/Wheel upgrades.......-rightsidesmall.jpg  
Old 09-22-2010, 09:41 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts

You are asking for all of the positive things and not taking in to consideration the bad things. You are already dragging the bike around corners now and you want to lower the rear? You want to be fast around corners and you want to put a 21" on the front? My suggestion is to go to the track and look at how many lowered Progressive shock bikes are there than look at how many 21" front wheels there are.

I am removing my POS front 19" for a 17" and good rubber along with the rear 17". You should study first and see what makes a bike fast around corners. You are making a poor handling bike worse.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Tnbrit
Road Captain
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

I am removing my POS front 19" for a 17" and good rubber along with the rear 17". You should study first and see what makes a bike fast around corners. You are making a poor handling bike worse.
[/QUOTE]

Howard,which 17"front wheel can be installed(07FXD)i'd be interested in this.
Sorry if this is a gate crash.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:55 AM
JZ28
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hope is that moving to a stiffer suspension setup will help with the issues I am having right now with ground clearance by keeping the bike up off the street (and compensate somewhat for possibly bringing the rear end down 1"). My aim is not to build the ultimate track day bike, I just enjoy carving some corners when the opportunity presents itself. I understand that a 21" front wheel and 1" lower rear isn't going to improve the handling, it's for looks. I'm just trying to mitigate the bad effects of doing this as much as possible so I can get the bike looking the way I want it and still retain the ability to ride it aggressively to the extent possible.

Yeah, I know it's not a crotch rocket (been there, done that), but for what it is I think it actually handles pretty darn well. If it can't be done and I have to live with backing it down a notch or two around the corners, so be it. I'm just looking for suggestions to achieve my goals.