Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked V&H Big Radius 2-1 Mounting Bracket on Fat Bob

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 05:55 AM
ozsportster
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Cracked V&H Big Radius 2-1 Mounting Bracket on Fat Bob

I've had my Dyna Fat Bob for 3 years now and for most of this time, I've had the Vance & Hines Big Radius 2-1. Cleaning the bike last week, I notice a large crack near the bend of the mounting bracket where it attaches to the gearbox.
I've travelled about 15,000 miles since they were fitted. Never been down, never been dropped of its stand or hit by anything.

I emailed V&H tech and got a response from them telling me to buy another bracket , Part # 438 P about $19.95.

No request for photos,
No "we're sorry this unusual event has happened to your pipes" !!!
I'm wondering how many other owners of these pipes have had their bracket crack?

By the way, this is the V&H Bracket, not the original Fat Bob Tommy Gun Exhaust bracket which I heard was prone to cracking.
Write a comment if you've experienced this or heard of similar from your friends.
Thanks from Downunder

Attached Thumbnails Cracked V&H Big Radius 2-1 Mounting Bracket on Fat Bob-vance-hines-cracked-bracket-001.jpg   Cracked V&H Big Radius 2-1 Mounting Bracket on Fat Bob-vance-hines-cracked-bracket-003.jpg  
Old 10-21-2010, 06:54 AM
Splandman
Tourer

I have the same exhaust. It hasn't happened to me but I remember another thread on here about this happening. Don't recall if it was a Fat Bob or not though.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:04 AM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Weld the backside of it and spray paint it.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:30 AM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 264 Posts

Is that a pit in the metal at the top of the bracket where the crack starts??? Good place for a stress crack...I used to break P clamps on my 2" pipes until I squezzed them shut in a vice, then heated them cherry red and let them cool in the vise...haven't broken one since...if there's any strain in the mounting anywhere it's a good place for a crack to start...remember that besides the weight involved, the exhaust system is subject to all the engine vibes as it's on the "inside" of the rubber mounting system that keeps vibes away from the rider.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:19 AM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ozsportster
I've had my Dyna Fat Bob for 3 years now and for most of this time, I've had the Vance & Hines Big Radius 2-1. Cleaning the bike last week, I notice a large crack near the bend of the mounting bracket where it attaches to the gearbox.
I've travelled about 15,000 miles since they were fitted. Never been down, never been dropped of its stand or hit by anything.

I emailed V&H tech and got a response from them telling me to buy another bracket , Part # 438 P about $19.95.

No request for photos,
No "we're sorry this unusual event has happened to your pipes" !!!
I'm wondering how many other owners of these pipes have had their bracket crack?

By the way, this is the V&H Bracket, not the original Fat Bob Tommy Gun Exhaust bracket which I heard was prone to cracking.
Write a comment if you've experienced this or heard of similar from your friends.
Thanks from Downunder

Welcome to V&H Customer Service. I had a High Output Pro Pipe for 200 miles. The thing started spraying hot gases on the back of my leg. Even with dealer pics and intervention V&H told me to use High Temp RTV.

I avoid V&H like the plague. An Indy recently mentioned some V&H pipes. I told him that V&H were on the other side of the tracks for me. I would never own V&H again. NEVER! EVER! NEVER! NEVER!

Old 10-21-2010, 11:26 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts

Had the bolt snap off but was fixed on warranty.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:09 PM
KentFXD
Cruiser

3 years... how long is/was the warranty on the VH pipes?

If its under warranty, there should be no problem getting it replaced.

If its not under warranty... what is the issue?

It bites to have stuff break, but it happens. From the look of the bracket, it looks pretty beefy, but all the same motions and vibes from our motors that make the bike feel alive in our hands can be pretty hard on parts.

Last edited by KentFXD; 10-21-2010 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:51 PM
Grendel4
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by editbrain
Welcome to V&H Customer Service. I had a High Output Pro Pipe for 200 miles. The thing started spraying hot gases on the back of my leg. Even with dealer pics and intervention V&H told me to use High Temp RTV.

I avoid V&H like the plague. An Indy recently mentioned some V&H pipes. I told him that V&H were on the other side of the tracks for me. I would never own V&H again. NEVER! EVER! NEVER! NEVER!
I put a Borla exhaust system on my car. I can't be 100% certain, but I believe Borla has a pretty good reputation for quality.

Anyway, I planned on lowering the car just a tad and didn't weld the system on. Used cheapie clamps. It spits out a little exhaust. A lot of them do. Fifteen years later, I'm still waiting for the new suspension.

Now, on our beloved Harleys, we normally don't weld the pipes together. I guess we could and hope to cover the weld with the heat shields but - Nah.

The ends of the pipes can get knocked out of shape by a wide variety of causes. Shipping mostly. You got gorillas tossing those things around like they're..... Well, like they don't belong to them. Sometimes, we actually do it ourselves. And sometimes, the quality control just isn't there.

Before I put mine on, I dummied them together and was satisfied with how they'd fit together. Whether they were snug enough for the torca clamp to close them up tight. I thought they were so I continued on. They're well sealed.

I was fiddle-fartin around the other day and put a wrench on one of the torca clamps. Sumbeach was loose. Not 'loose' loose, but a couple turns loose. Torqued it down to 50 ft-lbs and went about my merry way.

I just don't see a minor leak, a minor out-of-round imperfection as a reason to get bent out of shape (pardon the pun) Stuff happens. All the time.

It would be a PITD, but taking the pipes to an exhaust shop and putting it on the machine to carefully round the ends to where they mate correctly would cure the prob. A hand-held expander would be better, but how many people have them? Maybe an exhaust shop might.

If one of, or both, ends are 'ovaled' up on you, no amount of RTV is gonna fix it permanently. But having to put a little bit on well-rounded exhaust pipe ends with a GOOD clamp holding them together shouldn't be cause to get all POed at a manufacturer.

There's exhaust clamps, and then there's good exhaust clamps. I think the Torca exhaust clamps are about $7.50 each, depending on where you buy them.

Old 10-21-2010, 12:54 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I'd call them and tell then you want a new one free of charge. Email is too impersonal for this situation. I went to V&H for a bracket and bolts one time. I accidentally went to their manufacturing and headquarters as opposed to the store. They went in the back, got me what I needed and sent me on my way. Free or charge.

Drew

Old 10-21-2010, 01:02 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,628 Posts

You could also take it off & have a metal shop fabricate new one w/stronger steel, but this would probably cost more than getting V&H $20 replacement. Three-yrs-old +15K miles - I'd say you got your $$$ worth.

Quick Reply: Cracked V&H Big Radius 2-1 Mounting Bracket on Fat Bob