Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 FatBob Fwd to Mid Control Conv.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 05:00 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

The expense in switching back to mids comes from the price of the inner and outer primary which I believe you need to switch because yours doesn't have the hole in iy. There is also a heat shield on the right which needs to be changed over. When going from mids to forwards the existing hole is simply plugged.

Old 01-15-2011, 05:54 PM
JoeHat
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys, Thinking about the outer primary cover, if its just a hole and a seal i may be able to have the machine shop at work drill it. Does anyone know why the inner needs to be changed when going to mids? Like it was said the covers seem to be the most $$ parts. And i dont think the stock exhaust will work either, but ill be changing that out anyway. I ordered a shop manual to do some more research, be about a week b4 i get it. Cooper 276 if your still interested in swapping parts, let me know. Thx, Joe.

Old 01-15-2011, 07:16 PM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

"Does anyone know why the inner needs to be changed when going to mids?"

Same question I asked the salesman when discussing the forwards-to-mids swap during bike purchase. If I remember correctly, service dep't said the shift shaft arrangement/location is different on the backside of the inner cover between the two setups, thus the different in/out primary covers. Plain to see why the outer one is different; don't know why the inner couldn't have been designed to accommodate both types of controls. You might want to check with your local HD parts/service people for a more clear-cut answer. Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails 2011 FatBob Fwd to Mid Control Conv.-img_0553.jpg  
Old 01-15-2011, 09:27 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

It's more than just a hole. There is actually a tube that the shaft goes in. When you remove the shift lever the primary is still sealed. The plug is just cosmetic. A machine shop can make a hole but that would not solve your problem.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:29 AM
JoeHat
Advanced

Well will work it out one way or another, the fwd controls dont do it for me, too much monkey motion, im basically looking for a drag bike look.Ill have to pull it apart and take a look see how the linkage is routed than price out the new parts, always have E-Bay to sell the replacements, Thx ,Joe.

Old 01-17-2011, 05:59 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just swap the stuff that the Street Bob guy said he wanted to trade ya and its free.... All are happy

Old 01-17-2011, 06:00 AM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cooper276
No, but I'm keen to go from mids to forwards on my new Street Bob.
If your intertested in a swap let me know.
Cheers

Problem solved!

Old 01-17-2011, 10:08 AM
RENORRIS
Intermediate

I have a 2008 Fat Bob that i had changed from mids to forward at the 250 mile service
I have the exhaust and outer primary cover and shift lever and shaft

Old 01-17-2011, 09:17 PM
JoeHat
Advanced

parts eater, havent got a response from the Street Bob guy, Renorris, if you want to sell the outer primary cover and shift lever and shaft, PM me. The exhaust i dont need ,im going V+H. Did you have the inner cover changed too, Seems like others here say its necessary to. Did they reuse the RH footpeg and brake lever wth a shorter brakerod? Thx Joe.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had to guess I'd say the reason that HD stopped making them with Mids as an option was that very few people were buying them that way. My Fat Bob is my first bike and only the second one I've ridden with the first being the Buell Blast I rode in the BRC. I got used to the forwards pretty quickly and I guess I'm just curious what makes you want to go to Mids.

Quick Reply: 2011 FatBob Fwd to Mid Control Conv.