Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blacking out the battery cover trim

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 10:50 AM
ryanek9freak
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VHT makes a wrinkle black paint that is dead on for the factory HD finish. THey sell it at Autozone, advance and Napa. Bout $8 a can.
http://www.vhtpaint.com/wrinkleplus.html

Old 01-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Fridge
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I painted mine gloss black to contrast against the wrinkle black. Looks much better imo!

Old 01-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Punchsmack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Black Non-Skid Paint in a can. It has a nice textured look. $5 a can at Sears....I've painted quite a few other things with the stuff (see my sig). Holds up nice.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:20 PM
junior07
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

Well, I also was unsure when at the home depot, so I wasted my money on the HD brand wrinkle black. But, I still have the can and can use it for other applications as well.

Band in in my sig pic below

Old 01-19-2011, 02:23 PM
ryanek9freak
Road Captain

Originally Posted by junior07
Well, I also was unsure when at the home depot, so I wasted my money on the HD brand wrinkle black. But, I still have the can and can use it for other applications as well.

Band in in my sig pic below

Im serious man, try the VHT wrinkle black, it's an exact match for the Harley wrinkle PC they use on the engine. and it's cheap.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:27 PM
purevil71
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DCLXVI
I used satin black on mine too. I also did the fork lowers and horn cover. The key is the prep work. Get that right and the finish looks good.

Sorry to hi-jack, but how did you prep your lowers for paint? I've looked into getting mine powder coated, but would rather go this route if it will still turn out looking nice.
Plus it's cheaper which is right up my ally...lol

Old 01-19-2011, 02:40 PM
ryanek9freak
Road Captain

Originally Posted by purevil71
Sorry to hi-jack, but how did you prep your lowers for paint? I've looked into getting mine powder coated, but would rather go this route if it will still turn out looking nice.
Plus it's cheaper which is right up my ally...lol
I did mine on the bike, but they were raw steel, not chrome. Just hit them with my die grinder and roloc disc, masked them off and sprayes with VHT roll bar paint. It's a gloss black epoxy paint that doesn't require any primer and so far is holding up really well.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:17 PM
purevil71
Tourer

Originally Posted by ryanek9freak
I did mine on the bike, but they were raw steel, not chrome. Just hit them with my die grinder and roloc disc, masked them off and sprayes with VHT roll bar paint. It's a gloss black epoxy paint that doesn't require any primer and so far is holding up really well.

I don't have the chrome lowers either...they look like brushed aluminum to be honest.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:27 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know about the VHT stuff but I used the bedliner paint on my Sportster's covers...

The bike went down at 50 on the freeway when I got hit by an SUV back in September with enough force to break off my front left forward control and send it smashing into the primary hard enough to put a 2" by 1/2" hole through the primary cover. The paint around the impact point wasn't even slightly chipped! It looks like I almost cut the hole out! Even with the bike totaled by the insurance company the paint didn't even get so much as scratched! I was very impressed and will definately use it again!

Old 01-19-2011, 03:51 PM
VA Biker
Tourer

Originally Posted by ryanek9freak
VHT makes a wrinkle black paint that is dead on for the factory HD finish. THey sell it at Autozone, advance and Napa. Bout $8 a can.
http://www.vhtpaint.com/wrinkleplus.html
I will look for this. I went in my local Advanced the other day and they didnt have paint at all. I was surprised . I thought all autoparts stores had paint. I will check the other places.

Quick Reply: Blacking out the battery cover trim