Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Floating Rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 04:16 PM
cmvsm
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Floating Rotors?

Seems that the HD floating rotors are not true floaters, as they are indeed a two piece design, but are bolted together and offers zero movement between the two. So I'm not sure why this is considered a floater, if the two pieces cannot move independently of each other? I have the Thunderstar version of the rotors, and can verify this.

So that begs the question, why would I need to pay more for a two piece set that is bolted together to make one piece, versus just buying a one piece in the first place? Especially with the bolted two piece is 50% more in cost than the one. Sure, it gives HD the ability to offer more choices, as they just change out the center piece, but what mechanical advantage is it really providing? I was thinking of perhaps the heat dissipation because of the raised buttons, but would that only apply to those that are braking constantly and braking hard? Not the typical cruiser types.

Of course, there are true two piece floating rotors that do move independently of each other, its just that the HD version is not it.

Last edited by cmvsm; 01-29-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:03 PM
Fridge
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

They are semi floating rotors, like any OE floating disc. I've not really looked closely at mine but would expect them to be held together with a rivet and a spring?

Fully floating rotors are generally reserved for race/track bikes due to the noise generated by movement of the rotors against the carriers.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:13 PM
cmvsm
Advanced

Would you say that the additional cost for floating rotors are worth it for typical cruising tupe of riding?

Old 01-30-2011, 12:21 AM
shiftace
Road Warrior
Received 711 Likes on 328 Posts

let h-d sit on those overpriced rotors. check these guys out if you want to upgrade to floaters (or semi floaters to be technical). These Alth rotors are sweet for 1/2 the moco's price. Put em on my dx and have absolutely no complaints.

http://www.oncycles.com/browse.asp?d...egory=b_rotors

Old 01-30-2011, 03:24 AM
Fridge
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmm, to be honest, I ride pretty hard a lot of the time but never had any issues with the solid discs.

I always swapped to braided lines and heavily sintered pads and apart from my discs bluing didn't have any issues. They were's as good as the PM 6 pots on my RK but they would stop me in a hurry when needed.

With my current ride I have only just swapped to braided lines and I've not swapped the pads out yet so can't really compared the two. I'm hoping that they will deal with the heat better so less bluing and less chance of warping I hope.

Semi floating rotors are pretty much stock across the motorcycle industry from cruisers to superbikes so the manufacturers must feel they are worthwhile, after all it's not an item they can expect to sell many of, for most people the brake discs will last for years.

Whats the cost of the newer rotors then?

Old 01-30-2011, 01:22 PM
thealaskan
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Braking brand 13" Wave Rotors, made in Italy, spendy, around $400 if you can find them.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:19 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Floating rotors separate the braking surface from the hub, to help isolate heat build-up getting to the wheel bearings. Great for racers, OK for us. I have them all round on my Glide, Harley rear, Harrison 13" up front. They seem to work OK for me!

Old 02-07-2011, 11:36 PM
cmvsm
Advanced

Originally Posted by thealaskan
Braking brand 13" Wave Rotors, made in Italy, spendy, around $400 if you can find them.

These look great. Found a place that has them for $265 each shipped. Do you know if there would be any issues using this rotor with the Harley stock caliper?

Thanks again.