Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Deuce wheel & tire on wide glide

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 02:42 AM
Clyde03DWG
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Deuce wheel & tire on wide glide

I am a north Georgia boy brand new to the hd forum. I have an 03 anniversary Wide Glide. I can't post pictures at this time, but I am working on this. I am about to start on a pretty big project, and someone told me about this forum. A good friend of mine has a 2003 Softail Deuce, and installed a wide tire kit on it. Now his stock deuce wheel, tire, and pulley are sitting, and he has agreed to sell these parts to me for and excellent price. However, I first want to make sure this wider wheel and tire will fit on my wide glide. If so, I want to get a chrome swingarm and have the duece wheel and pulley chromed and install them as well. I would really appreciate any info that anyone has. If anyone has done this before, please send pics. I have never seen this before, but I think it will look awesome if it works.

Old 10-08-2006, 03:55 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Installing Deuce wheel & tire on wide glide

yep...just did it...the deuce wheel that is...with the wide tire kit. Didn't do the swingarm yet, but did put a chrome sprocket cover on. Here's the thread from a little over a week ago...right after I had it done. Pics are in there:

click here for Deuce wheel on a WG.

Todd

Old 10-08-2006, 04:06 AM
Clyde03DWG
4th Gear

Thanks for the reply. I do have a few questions if you don't mind.

1. What year is your wide glide?
2. Did you use the Deuce pulley as well?
3. Can you explain more in depth the modifications that the dealer had to make?
4. I believe the stock Deuce wheel is a 160. Did you put a 180 on yours?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Old 10-08-2006, 09:56 AM
Jet x 4
Tourer

Todd/Clyde
I may be wrong here and not know what I'm talking about but the 06 bobtail fender is wider than the 03s so I am not certain the duece wheel add on will work the same. Just my .02

Rich

Old 10-08-2006, 10:28 AM
veniculum
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Clyde03DWG

Thanks for the reply. I do have a few questions if you don't mind.

1. What year is your wide glide?
2. Did you use the Deuce pulley as well?
3. Can you explain more in depth the modifications that the dealer had to make?
4. I believe the stock Deuce wheel is a 160. Did you put a 180 on yours?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Jetx - I can't confirm that...but I can say that the wheel I bought required a separate purchase of an installation kit in addition to the wide tire kit...but I think that is in relation to the hub. The wide tire kit was specific to 06s and later (as was this particular wheel). For dynas older than 06, you'd have to check the catalog and see what particular wheels/tire kits fit those bikes...I doubt that these will because they specify 06s and later.

clyde - 1. Mine's an 06
2. I'm using the stock pulley with the chrome cover..but I will say this...it looks fine..but the next time I get a new tire, I'm going to change the brake rotor. The stock rear rotor has holes in it that don't cover up part of the rear wheel hub and it looks somewhat out of place. You have to know what you're looking for, but I see it...the next rotor I will buy will be a teardrop (or similar) which should cover up the hub.
3. I'll try to explain what was done the best I can. I had to order the wheel, the installation kit for the wheel, and the wide tire kit. The wheel is self explanatory...the installation kit is basically a hub that is specific to the dyna swingarm (as opposed to the hub for a softail)...and the wide tire kit is the tire, and the hardware used to make room for the tire (i.e. this hardware re-locates or shortens the bolts inside the rear fender to make room for the wider tire). One thing that the dealer told me was that because of the design of this wheel and the width in particular, I had a long 'spear' style valve stem cap. When they went to test ride the bike, the valve cap ended up catching on the rear rotor and snapped the valve stem....so they had to remove the wheel again and put a new valve stem in it.
4. I don't know if the stock deuce wheel is a 160. Matter of fact, the new (06-later) softails are 200mm wheels (I think). So I'm really not sure how that works. Either way, the tire fit the wheel, so I don't think there's an issue there. Sorry I can't give more info on that question.

I don't know of any particular advice I can give, other than expect to wait for the parts. I waited for 2 months for the wheel and installation kit. The wide tire kit has been around longer, so that should be available sooner. For all I know, the wheel may now be available nationwide, and you may not have to wait.
I can't really help you with the installation specifics because the dealer did the install. I can tell you that the price of the whole thing will probably run you around 1400 - 1500 dollars for the whole thing (parts and labor)

Hope this helps. I really do like the end result. Since I was the first one here to do this modification (and I hadn't seen any on the street), I wasn't sure how it would look. I can say now that the end result is great. The bike looks great, and I get compliments wherever I go.

Todd

Old 10-08-2006, 11:16 AM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ven,
It does look great. Can you give an evaluation of the performance difference, if any, that you've noticed?
Thanks,
Bart

Old 10-08-2006, 12:50 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Black Bart

Ven,
It does look great. Can you give an evaluation of the performance difference, if any, that you've noticed?
Thanks,
Bart
Bart...I have to be honest...I don't really feel much difference in performance. I tried for the first week to try and feel a difference, but I really can't. When I first got on it, it felt like the bike wanted to stay upright a little more in low speed turns...that was all I noticed. But now I don't really feel it at all...guess I got used to it. To tell you the truth, I don't really ride very hard on this bike. I save that for the sport bikes...so I'm probably not the best person to ask for a performance evaluation when it comes to harleys. All I can say is, if you put the wider tire on, I doubt it will hinder the performance or the way you ride.

Todd

Old 10-08-2006, 06:04 PM
choppertime
Advanced

The swap is a simple one and should be able to be accomplished by anybody with a little mechanic confidence. Your swingarm is basically the same with as all 99 and below Softails. The HD wide tire kit only allow .200" and is not necessary for the 160mm tire. You will have to put some inside out button head bolts for your fender for clearance but that should not set you back much. Deuce wheels are cheap, plating is cheap so save even more and spend the labor cost in actual product.

www.chromethathog.com

Old 10-08-2006, 10:06 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: choppertime

The swap is a simple one and should be able to be accomplished by anybody with a little mechanic confidence. Your swingarm is basically the same with as all 99 and below Softails. The HD wide tire kit only allow .200" and is not necessary for the 160mm tire. You will have to put some inside out button head bolts for your fender for clearance but that should not set you back much. Deuce wheels are cheap, plating is cheap so save even more and spend the labor cost in actual product.

www.chromethathog.com

I'm not sure what you mean regarding the .200. The wide tire kit for 06-later dynas is a 180 (from a stock 160). To be honest, I don't even know if a/the kit is available for previous model years. According to HD's P&A catalog, there is only one wide tire kit for 06-later dynas (part number - 43705-06 FXDWGI) I'm not saying you can't put a 200 on a wide glide (06...or earlier)...But there is no kit from HD for that size tire. However, I have heard of some folks doing it without major modification. Also, it was my understanding after talking to the dealer that the kit included (as you mentioned) button head bolts (or similar) to provide enough clearance inside the fender. Quite frankly, in looking at mine with the new 180 tire, I just don't see how you could squeeze a 200 inside that fender. There certainly doesn't seem to be much room left as it is now....but like I said..I don't know for sure...and I have heard it's been done.

As far as ease of installation...I can't comment. Dealer did it. I will definitely agree with you on your chrome plating comment. I paid the full $835 for the deuce wheel already plated (in the HD catalog - part number 41174-07), plus labor. I would imagine if you could get your hands on a stock deuce wheel, have it chromed, and install it yourself, it would be considerably cheaper.

Todd

Old 10-09-2006, 01:09 AM
Clyde03DWG
4th Gear

Thanks for all of the info guys. ven, I am, in fact only planning to put the stock tire from the deuce also which is a 160. I don't think I will need the wide tire kit. chopper, thanks for the post. I talked to a service guy at my local dealer, and he said I would need the button head bolts. He also said I would have to run the wiring for my blinkers through the struts. Do you know anything about this. The other question I had is will the stock dyna spacers work, or will I need to buy or fabricate new spacers. Please give me any other info that you may have on this topic.

Quick Reply: Installing Deuce wheel & tire on wide glide