Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust Mods Per EPA Regulations and State Testing on Noise Levels

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 10:07 PM
Chicago Ken
Road Warrior
Received 345 Likes on 159 Posts
Default Exhaust Mods Per EPA Regulations and State Testing on Noise Levels

With the new 2010 bikes having an EPA regulation cat installed from the factory isn't it agaisnt the law to taper with our head pipes?
I'm all for getting the best performance and sound from my bike but I don't want to spend money twice because the bike would past inspection.
We don't have inspections for bikes in Chicago yet, but we do for cars.
Are bike inspections in our future? I hear that some states conduct roadside exhaust sound checks and write tickets for excessive noise.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:18 PM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep. You take your chances. I kept my factory parts for when the day comes. I also quieted my aftermarket exhaust, so as to not invite being pulled over and having my bike given tighter scrutiny.

It is illegal to tamper with any emission control devices, unless you can prove compliance.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:22 PM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anual bike safety inspections are routine in many states, but each is different. I don't know of any that does emission checks, but that doesn't mean none do. Some inspectors will look for the EPA stamp on the muffler, but that is more of a federal thing... and I don't know of the feds doing spot checks.

Some towns enforce state specified sound levels by spot checking.... more to harass riders into riding elsewhere, I think.

You are taking chances, but many of the law enforcers ride and ride with modified equipment... not saying that's right...

Last edited by ColdCase; 03-20-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:35 PM
Chicago Ken
Road Warrior
Received 345 Likes on 159 Posts

Thanks for the input. I'm trying to decide keeping the bike EPA legal and just adding the SE street tunner and intake with baffle change to the stock pipes. I live in a community that has residents call the law for the lack of nothing better to do than to screw with ya.
Our police love setting up roadside checks for seatbelt use and mobile weight scale to bust tuckers. I hear that they planning to do stops on bikes for M labels on drivers licenses this spring. My community is all about policing for revenue. I can see checking for noise levels if it equals bucks.

I understand Harley is only offering EPA approved perfromance street parts in the PA catalouge and the race only stuff in the Screaming Eagle catalouge. They have two different tuners Race only(not street legal) and the EPA approved street tuner.
I talked with a factory rep last summer and he said they're leaving the performance pipe market to the after market guys because that will be comming to an end very soon and Harley isn't going to spend money designing pipes that aren't going to pass EPA guidelines. Obviously the motor company must know something is in the works to pass up this segment of our market.

I just trying to get information from members on how they state laws are and not be the bearer of gloom and doom.
I new to bikes and just want to know what is in store for us and what our rights are.

Last edited by Chicago Ken; 03-20-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:44 PM
PhD
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in Omaha, no one, including the cops, care, as long as you aren't being completely obnoxious about it. Same for most other places I've been. A bunch of people I know in NorCal say the same thing, although they jump through a few inspection hoops. Cops have more important things to do in most places and neither welcome nor enforce motorcycle noise laws or pollution regs (again, as long as you aren't being completely obnoxious). There are certainly exceptions. Ask people who know in your area. I am moving to Northwest Arkansas this summer, where several towns have strict noise laws. I asked a couple of bikers there and a couple of cops. They said that as long as I'm not breaking windows, no prob.

Old 03-20-2011, 10:58 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SuperTrapp supermeg, it can be quiet enough that they wouldn't even look twice at you or if you want you can run an open cap and make a little noise. Either way they do put out good power.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:00 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

There is an answer for all this gubment control. VOTE....and vote the right way! (I think I'm in the wrong place to continue my rant!..........................)

Old 03-21-2011, 06:40 AM
bobnehoc
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

NY chiming in...Yes we have state inspections....They consist of safety checks mostly...Lights, brakes and tires....I have never heard of anyone failing inspection because of their pipes. Yes we have and always had a noise law for pipes....I got a ticket 25+ years ago in my car. Big block Ford with side pipes....I made the PO show me the law, anything that pollutes more than factory is illegal, both noise and emissions.....The last few years they have been enforcing the law more in certain areas.....My buddy got a Loud Pipe ticket out east on Long Island and there is talk of impounding bikes in Manhattan for multiple violations.....Yes we are slowly being squeezed and persecuted for something we love....Welcome to America.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:14 PM
O-Town D
Road Master
Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

I fully expect the "Golden Sate" CA to institute annual/semi-annual MC smog/equip inspections in the not-so-distant-future, if nothing more than to generate more revenue. The stock take-off parts I have in storage now will come in quite handy when that day comes...

Old 03-21-2011, 04:17 PM
DSnoopy
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No inspections in Colorado, and I have had no problems with what I run.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Mods Per EPA Regulations and State Testing on Noise Levels