Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Can I Tell if My ECM is Flashed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 09:18 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperFastGlide
it only adds fuel as determined by rpms and throttle position as programed into the map... so if a map is programed to add fuel at a value of 10 at throttle position 20 at 1500 rpm its going to add that amount of fuel weather the ECM has been flashed or not... thats why some canned map providers offer maps for flashed and non flashed ECMS...
Not exactly....Have you ever actually looked at the map settings for a PC, to see what it actually does?

From Power Commanders web site:
"Ignition Timing Control."
We realized early on that while other motorcycles did not always need timing control, Harley Davidson’s do. Every Power Commander we have ever made for HD models has come with the ability to adjust the ignition timing. We often find significant horsepower increases by making timing adjustments as well as being able to correct detonation problems that make occur. You can advance or retard your stock timing curve by +/- 10 degrees in the exact same, point specific throttle/rpm combinations that we allow the fuel changes in. There is no reason to retard the entire ignition timing curve (and reduce overall power) just because you have some detonation in a high throttle opening/low rpm area.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:09 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I didn't know they have come out with a stock ecm map and a stage 1 map. Last time I perused the PC website there was one map per setup and it only specified "stock ecm".

From experience, I used a canned map from PC.com for a long time but it was far from optimum. Even after getting the bike dyno-tuned I still don't believe the tune is optimum but, speaking for myself, I don't have the money to upgrade to a better tuning device.

If memory serves me correct the PC intercepts the signals from the ecm and sends out the data contained within the map, and those numbers in the map are actually percentages of increase or decrease (notated by a negative sign) in voltage. What Rich (8541hog) is saying the PC intercepts the data from the ecm and combines the data in the pc map with what it has received to create a new amount of whatever (I think it's voltage). That concept would make the PCIII a fairly intelligent device, correct?

Old 03-28-2011, 10:13 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

That is my understanding Vic. It is additive not starting from a zero baseline.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:20 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by 8541hog
That is my understanding Vic. It is additive not starting from a zero baseline.
I guess we both need some clarification because we both have opposing ideas of how it works. lol

{EDIT} thinking further on this, with the addition of the o2 eliminators that come with the PCIII that turns the ECM into a dumb terminal because doesn't it interpret the signal received from the o2 sensors to adjust and with the o2 sensors eliminated...the only data available is what the PCIII tells the ecm to do.

Last edited by SC-Longhair; 03-28-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:28 AM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by SC-Longhair
I guess we both need some clarification because we both have opposing ideas of how it works. lol

{EDIT} thinking further on this, with the addition of the o2 eliminators that come with the PCIII that turns the ECM into a dumb terminal because doesn't it interpret the signal received from the o2 sensors to adjust and with the o2 sensors eliminated...the only data available is what the PCIII tells the ecm to do.
I think we are saying the same thing in a different way. A percentage change would be additive, it has to know where to start. That is why it needs to know if it has a download or not.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:32 AM
SC-Longhair
Club Member

Originally Posted by 8541hog
I think we are saying the same thing in a different way. A percentage change would be additive, it has to know where to start. That is why it needs to know if it has a download or not.
Makes logical sense. I guess that's why they created two maps per set-up.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:47 AM
1CdnHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It would only take a couple of minutes for the dealer to hook up DTII and check your ECM for a reflash.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:34 PM
bigVtwin88
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you get a pcIII from Fuelmoto you won't have to guess on the mapping. It'll already be loaded with one for that set up from their giant database of dyno runs. I had one from them on my 05 superglide and it ran great right out of the box.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:38 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by bigVtwin88
If you get a pcIII from Fuelmoto you won't have to guess on the mapping. It'll already be loaded with one for that set up from their giant database of dyno runs. I had one from them on my 05 superglide and it ran great right out of the box.
That is true IF he gives them the correct info to select a map. He needs to know if he has the download first, which as I stated in my first post, anyone with an HD diagnostics machine cn tell him by connecvting to the bikes data port.

The more I think about all of this the happier I am I finally bought a ThunderMax.