Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just put forward controls on the Superglide

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 12:35 AM
JCPsr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just put forward controls on the Superglide

I've been riding for over 32 years and today was the first time that I ever drove a bike with forward controls. All I can say is WOW. It has transformed my Superglide into one of the most comfortable and fun bikes to ride.

Every bike I've owned had either mids or rearsets. I wasn't real comfortable on the glide with the mids (I am 6' 2"). It wasn't a comfort issue, but more of a position issue. Midway through turns the bike was either diving in to much or pushing to the outside of the turn. I just blamed it on me driving a new bike that I needed to get used to. Well, I put the forwards on last night and took the bike to work this morning and the bike tracks through the turns like it it is on rails. The balance for me is tremendous. I can come to a stop and pause for a moment at a dead stop and not feel the need to put my feet down. I swear I could just balance it like one of my old trials bikes. ( Maybe not, the Harley cost a few more bucks then the trials bike)

I'd like to send out a general thanks to all those who have posted in the past as I read every post that related to forwards before putting them on. I will add my experiences to the wealth of knowledge here to help owners in the future make their decisions easier.

Old 10-20-2006, 12:47 AM
KeithB
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Just put forward controls on the Superglide

Sounds good, post pictures

Old 10-20-2006, 10:52 AM
iwant1
Tourer

Yep, forwards rock.
I've extended mine by 3 inches with the Kuryakyn kit so they are way out in front. My friends can't reach the controls, so I guess they won't ever ask for a ride of my bike !

I didn't like the mids at all iether, but then I am 6'6".

Old 10-20-2006, 03:40 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: iwant1

Yep, forwards rock.
I've extended mine by 3 inches with the Kuryakyn kit so they are way out in front. My friends can't reach the controls, so I guess they won't ever ask for a ride of my bike !

I didn't like the mids at all iether, but then I am 6'6".
They do add a lot to the look and comfort of an otherwise stock bike. Can't say I moved mine out front though, actually moved them back 1.5" for us less tall bikers. Worked for me.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:10 PM
Whiffleboy
Road Master

Yep. I couldn't have gotten by on my forwards install without the help of the forum participants. As you said, give back.

Whiff

Old 10-20-2006, 06:37 PM
Rhode Warrior
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned bikes with both forward and mid controls and I feel more comfortable with mid controls, although I think most riders would agree with you.

Old 10-20-2006, 06:38 PM
superglide06
Tourer

what he said..pictures please

Old 10-20-2006, 06:47 PM
soup48
Road Captain

Glad you feel that way, because that is how I felt when I installed them on my bike.

Old 10-20-2006, 11:44 PM
DHSCT
Road Warrior

Glad you like them. Don't know how I rode without them. Much more comfortable cruising.

Old 10-21-2006, 12:11 AM
JCPsr
Advanced

I can see where someones height or inseam can dictate which mounts work best. I was not uncomfortable with the mids, could ride for hours, but more of a handling issue. I always thought that the more rearset your feet were the better the handling would be. Maybe that is so when knee dragging, but not fast cruising.

After reading up on the forwards I decided to go with the 06 kit. I didn't remove the old shift shaft or change the trans lever. Other than a slightly higher effort on shifts I feel the kit works just fine. I made my own bracket to hold the old shaft from rattling around and the machine shop at the school I teach at is making up a custom cover for the exposed shaft.

Pics will be coming as it is supposed to be nice this weekend.

There are things that I want to change on the bike to make it perfect for the riding I do. Next up will be possibly a windshield (quick detach) for cold weather riding, then the tour pack setup that Jackyl posted. Oh yeah, then there is the suspension issue. It's already cranked to 5 ( for 2 up ) and it works well for now, but I expect that it won't last once I start putting things on for longer trips.

Enough for now. This weekend is supposed to be nice so I should be able to put on a few more miles before the winter sleep.

Quick Reply: Just put forward controls on the Superglide