Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guess I'm shopping for a new Dyna

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Dan28
Road Master
Received 209 Likes on 153 Posts
Default Guess I'm shopping for a new Dyna

I think I've decided to get a new bike. Love the fun of riding the Sportster around town and such, but after a couple 500 mile plus trips on it and with a slightly bigger *** than when I bought it, I think I need something a bit more comfortable. I'm not ready to go the bagger route yet. Only in my 30's after all.

Narrowed my choices down to the Fat Bob and Wide Glide. I would really like to mash the two up taking parts I like from both and making one bike. I'm probably leaning to the Wide Glide as it has more items I like. I won't know for sure untill I test ride them, which I'll do once these rain storms blow out, forcasts look like rain for the next week.

What would be nice is if they brought back the trade in program from a year or so ago that they had going. Seemed like my salesman was calling me a couple times a month back then trying to get me to trade my Sporty in then.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:15 AM
archergodwin
Elite HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts

I would say it would be more difficult to take any other bike and make a Fat Bob out of it.. (difficult as in $$). My 2cts, would be start with a bike that is something in the middle, and then add the parts from either that you like. The majority of those two bikes are going to be the same... however the front ends are quite different.

For example, if you like the wide-glide front end... buy a wide glide and modify it. From my perspective, I would base the decision on the front end... yup...

Old 04-23-2011, 10:20 AM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

A lot of us started on Sportys, seems like a natural progression.

As for which one to get, we will all give you different answers because it's all personal preference. Take each one for a nice long ride, then decide. Good luck and have fun!

Old 04-23-2011, 10:37 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,941 Likes on 2,296 Posts

You got the right idea on doing the test rides...you'll know after that.

I have a Sporty and a Wide Glide, ride em both about the same amount.

Kevin

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-23-2011, 11:02 AM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

If it's my choice I would start with a Fat Bob and put a Wide Glide rear fender on it.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Dan28
Road Master

I am kind of leaning to the Wide Glide because I like the front end better. Though I do like the dual discs of Bob's front end. I'm still in the early stages, just having conciously decided to make the switch in the past few days. Though I did set up my financing through my bank the other day.

I actually started street riding on an '85 Virago 700 in my mid twenties, and at that time I guess I didn't take the penalty for failure as seriously as I do now. I rode kind of stupidly on that thing, outside the limits of the bike.

I'd like to keep the Sporty and just get the Dyna too, but two bike notes and a car note wouldnt be financially responsible of me right now. When I bought the Sporty, I didn't have a car payment, I had paid off my first Mustang. Since then I've bought another Mustang.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Dan28
Road Master

Originally Posted by DCLXVI
If it's my choice I would start with a Fat Bob and put a Wide Glide rear fender on it.

Ha I'm the opposite, I like the Bob's rear fender and the Glide's front end.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:13 AM
k&j eglide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of riders don't think they're ready for the bagger, but before you buy, take at least a standard model Roadking for a ride. I don't think they are really a lot more money, considering they have bags and a shield, both of which can be pricey to add to a Dyna and are really nice to have on 500 mile trips. The trips will likely get longer, btw. As to the trade in program-that came with a cost also. Because the dealers hade to partially subsidize the reduced value of the Sportster at trade time, they wanted to make it up against the negotiated price of the new big twin.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:52 AM
PMB3
Cruiser

What a world of difference for me, going from the sporty to the Street Bob.
Dan love the avatar,going to Social D May 4 at the Pageant in St.Louis.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:52 AM
PMB3
Cruiser

Just noticed your in St.Louis yourself.

Quick Reply: Guess I'm shopping for a new Dyna