Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do any of you wear armored jackets when riding?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 02:49 AM
Supamag
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wear one of these when the weather is good enough over here it's really comfortable with a little more weight than a normal denim jacket.

http://www.hoodjeans.co.uk/acatalog/...le-jacket.html

Attached Thumbnails Do any of you wear armored jackets when riding?-k7-jacket-blue.jpg  
Old 05-02-2011, 02:58 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by cjlandry
If so, what brand, style, etc.?

Do you wear it in the summer and is it comfortable?

I'm considering buying a black one that claims to be comfortable for summer wear.
There is nothing black that is comfortable for summer wear. Black absorbs the heat. BTW pretty much all motorcycle jackets contain armor these days. 1000 denier Cordura is as abrasion resistant as 1.3mm competition grade leather unlike nylon and polyester. Polyester has the least abrasion resistance of all jacket materials and melts in a slide. Nylon is more abrasion resistant than polyester but has much less than Cordura or Polyidimyde. Mesh flow air really well and is as comfortable as a T shirt but offers a lot more protection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4NlesC9ctQ

Last edited by fat_tony; 05-02-2011 at 03:04 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:33 AM
nkauf21
Outstanding HDF Member

I wear an Icon Strongarm jacket. It has leather sleeves with armor in the elbows and shoulders. The main body of the jacket is kevlar reinforced denim with a soft pad on the back.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:08 AM
MXerwithaBob
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wear Alpinestars gear (jacket, pants, boots), textile material with armor. I don't wear it all the time though, mostly when I'm going to be at speed for a while, makes me feel much safer when combined with my arai ff helmet.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:17 AM
Firenailer
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 95 Posts

I use a mesh Joe Rocket with soft armor when it's warm, and an HJC leather when it 's cool out. Both work fine but the leather is just too hot in the summer.

Old 05-02-2011, 09:11 AM
blueangel73
Elite HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts

I have a HD Switchback that has a removable outer liner and removable armor. (you have to buy the armor and install it, doesn't come with the jacket.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/m...bmLocale=en_US

I use this jacket from mid April until around mid to late Oct. When you remove the outer shell it is mostly a mesh that breathes wery well.

Last edited by blueangel73; 05-02-2011 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:11 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

all three of my riding jackets have armor.

IMO, a jacket without armor is just a fashion statement, not a real riding jacket.

Beware though, there are a LOT of MC gear brands that are just complete crap.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:47 AM
t3h_clap
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a tourmaster mesh jacket with armor that is alright to wear in the summer. It came with a "waterproof" liner that I can throw in for cooler days or if its raining.

It was on clearance a couple years ago so I'm not sure they make this model anymore.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Canuckle
6th Gear

If you want a diverse jacket then go for a Joe Rocket Alter Ego 10.0, I think thats the proper #. It has vents to open when it gets a little warm, and then when it gets hot you can take off a panel that exposes mesh on the chest, back and arms all while keeping the armor in place. Also has a removable back armor and a water proof liner that can be taken out as well.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:01 AM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

My HD leather jacket has pockets for the lightweight body armor, and I keep it in there most of the time.

I also have HD's mesh jacket for warm weather riding. It also has pockets for the lightweight body armor, which is in their most of the time.

Quick Reply: Do any of you wear armored jackets when riding?