Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Positak Installation a B*TcH!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 10:15 AM
dlstanf2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rear Positak Installation a B*TcH!

Has anyone experienced problems with a Rear Poistrac Stabilizer installation?

Yesterday, decided to try out my Good Year motorcycle lift and install my Sputhe Rear Positrac Stabilizer. No problems installing the front stabilizer, other than having to persuade one of the top bolts a little.

The rear stabilizer, another story. Was not able to install the transmission bracket, due to a lack of physical room. This bracket attaches to the right side of the transmission motor mount with 3" bolts, with a 9/16ths head, that run parallel to the frame. These bolts are installed from the left side and screw inside the bracket. The original transmission mount bolts go in through the right side and have nuts and washers on the left side.

Right away I noticed the rear brake switch is in the way. It has to be loosened and moved from the mounting bracket slot. At this point I'm still unable to get the bracket into position. So, I take off both mufflers and mounting brackets in order to gain some room. Now I have room to maneuver and it still takes some persuasion.

Here's where you need a buddy/neighbor to assist. I worked an hour trying to get the bolt to grab a thread on the transmission bracket. Might be able to do this with an overhead lift, but impossible for me to reach the ratchet and align the holes to start the threads. Still took me and the neighbor 20 minutes to get this bracket mounted!

Now for the transmission bracket. Here things went fairly well. You do need a floor jack, with a 2X4 block on end, to keep the motor mount from dropping so you can align the bolt holes. These are the bolts that run perpendicular to the frame and are 5/16ths hex heads.

Next, tighten the small bolts against the inside of the frame on both sides. The use the locking nuts and tighten against the bracket.

As always on a Harley, USE LOCKTITE.

Now to install the connector, with the heim joints to secure the brackets. These are 3/8" X 24, 12 headed bolts. Use care not to damage these fine threads, which I did. Now, I wait to get a 3/8 X 24 thread tap to chase the mounting holes.

Be prepared. This can far more than a simple job. I'll post the pics later, after I have finished the installation. Things may have gone faster had I not ran out of my favorite adult beverage.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Romeo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a True-Track, and it was a bear to work inside of that confined area. I had a second pair of hands helping, and had to jockey a small jack under the transmission to relieve the load on the bolts in order to get them through. Even then, I felt like I just plain got lucky when I finally did get the bolts through.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:03 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally resorted to calling a neighbor over to help with the two 3" long bolts on that transmission bracket. No way can one person perform that task. Definitely remove the exhaust, belt guard and rotate the brake's banjo bolt to the outside.

Other necessary tools for the install is either a wobble or jointed socket extension. For the forward facing bolts that mount just inches behind the rear tire, a mirror, flashlight and small scissor jack will help with this alignment. You can instead just drive in some wedges or shims between the top of the bike lift and bottom of the tranny. I had the bike up on the bike lift about as high as it would go. As I screwed in the scissor jack the holes never seemed to align, then I discovered that the entire rear of the bike was being lifted up and off the stand. I reached up and pulled down on the bike and presto, the holes lined up.

For the bolts that didn't get loctited before installation, I just applied some penetrating green 290.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:10 PM
dlstanf2
Road Master

Removed Post! Picture Problems!

Last edited by dlstanf2; 05-10-2011 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:13 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member

I am actually putting the rear true track on now. front was a breeze , not so sure the rear is gonna be so fun. sounds a lot easier than the above post about sputhe but still looks tight. I'll know more tomorrow, just took off the belt guard and the two nuts off the motormount. got a feeling the master cylinder is gonna have to come off..any tips appreciated lol.
I did a long run with just a front and it was a huge improvement, excited about the rear

Last edited by zukeeper; 05-09-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:57 PM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by zukeeper
I am actually putting the rear true track on now. front was a breeze , not so sure the rear is gonna be so fun. sounds a lot easier than the above post about sputhe but still looks tight. I'll know more tomorrow, just took off the belt guard and the two nuts off the motormount. got a feeling the master cylinder is gonna have to come off..any tips appreciated lol.
I did a long run with just a front and it was a huge improvement, excited about the rear
Loosen the banjo and rotate the fitting to the outside of the bracket, it sits inside a "U" shaped notch now, just move it from there. You will still have a wiring bundle in the way, just remove a plastic cable tie on the frame further up toward the front under the tranny. You need to get some slack in the wire bundle to be able to push it out of the way to clear room for the hardware. The master cylinder stays in place. You will need to remove the exhaust unless it runs high above the swingarm, but even then, you will want to see what you are doing, so removing it will save time in the long run.

Your install won't be any easier than the Sputhe, they both have to mounted the same way as far as I can tell.

It's really not that hard to do, and now you have more tips on the install than were available when I installed mine.

Last edited by HemiOrange; 05-09-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:17 AM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by HemiOrange
Loosen the banjo and rotate the fitting to the outside of the bracket, it sits inside a "U" shaped notch now, just move it from there. You will still have a wiring bundle in the way, just remove a plastic cable tie on the frame further up toward the front under the tranny. You need to get some slack in the wire bundle to be able to push it out of the way to clear room for the hardware. The master cylinder stays in place. You will need to remove the exhaust unless it runs high above the swingarm, but even then, you will want to see what you are doing, so removing it will save time in the long run.

Your install won't be any easier than the Sputhe, they both have to mounted the same way as far as I can tell.

It's really not that hard to do, and now you have more tips on the install than were available when I installed mine.

thank you sir !!

Old 05-10-2011, 06:42 PM
dlstanf2
Road Master

I found no need to loosen the Master Cylinder, although I thought so at first. I did have to remove the muffler bracket from the transmission and both mufflers. You will have to play with the bracket to ease it in. Biggest this is loosening the Banjo Nut to the Master Cylinder. Not Much!!! Just enough to rotate the Brake Switch.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:10 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member

I have short shots , exhaust is pretty much in the clear, rotated the brake noodle and all looks good to go, just need a bit of time ...hopefully be able to get things done tomorrow

Old 05-10-2011, 07:15 PM
dlstanf2
Road Master

Pictures Giving me a time!!!

Last edited by dlstanf2; 05-10-2011 at 08:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear Positak Installation a B*TcH!