Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is everyones gas gauge a joke, or just mine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 08:03 AM
crazyanimal
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

My wife and I each have new 2011 bikes and we noticed the there is a small r on the trip odo,we keep it set to that and once we fuel up and start moving it goes up to say 305 kms and as we ride it decreases in kms and we have this on our car as well and it's pretty bang on,and have'nt had any trouble yet,the light has come and we look down and it says 40kms,thats pretty close in my book.The gas gauge is just there,I don't go by that,I'll check to see if it's fairly close to what the odo says,but I won't refuel based on the gauge,if you don't have our feature then just reset the trip every time and you should be fine,as long as you know how many miles you can get out of a tank.

Mike.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:19 AM
Crushrus
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I've always just gone by the odometer on previous bikes. This is first one vie had that had a gauge. I kind of wish I'd didn't. I'd rather just go by miles than have a fuel light shining in my face 60 miles more than it needs to.

Anyone know of a write up on here to remove the gauge and replace it with a regular cap?

Old 05-28-2011, 09:38 AM
AFHarley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have had the HD speedo/tach combo guage for a couple months now, and just go by that. It is actually alot more accurate than the tank gauge... Tank gauge never seemed that accurate to me.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:39 AM
Green Hornet
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 2006 fxstbi gauge was garbage as well. For how much the bikes run brand new, you would think that they could give a guy a decent fuel gauge. Everytime I would wash my bike I would get moisture inside the fuel gauge glass. The same would happen to my speedometer glass. After my tank had been fueled my gauge would show I need gas for the next few days. I finally had enough with that and upgraded to a better one.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:00 AM
JonV
Tourer

Mines pretty beat, says going on empty when it's half full... I just top off every 125 miles or so...

Old 05-28-2011, 12:08 PM
crazyanimal
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

You might try and get a fuel cap cover and just cover it up.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:03 PM
livindadream
Cruiser

mine is the same way, not a big deal

Old 05-28-2011, 01:25 PM
daurwid
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I brought mine back to the dealer when I realized mine was telling me to fill up when I still had over 1/4 of a tank left. Dealer tested the tank and it would show 1/2 a tank properly on the gauge but once below that it would become less accurate as gas was used, until 1/4 when the light would come on. On my 4.7 tank, I've got a lot of riding left to do on 1/4 of a tank. They attempted to adjust the float, but this did not really resolve the problem. I'm wondering if it's just a poor adjustment on the gauge setting for how much is left to come on. I have a feeling they make it come on earlier than later for safety reasons.

Good to know the speedo/tach combo has a gauge as well. May go this route if it's better.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:17 PM
hddan502
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The MOCO just puts one on so we don't whine about not having a fuel gauge. I have never went by fuel gauge, trip odometer only.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Lennyone
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I always start looking for a station to find out I have two gallon left. I would rater be safe then sorry. Just my two cent

Quick Reply: Is everyones gas gauge a joke, or just mine?