Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is everyones gas gauge a joke, or just mine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 01:26 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't worry. Be happy. Just ignore it. Use your trip odometer and keep a record of your fill-ups, so you can obtain an accurate average mpg.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:33 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My gas gauge is sort of a reminder for me. When I start the bike up after a few days of being off it, it tells me if I had just gassed up before parking it, or not. Then I remember that I just made it home on empty and needed to gas it soon, or whatever the circumstances were were.

I have a 2" tank lift and know that when the needle first hits "E" on level ground that I have 25 "safe" miles left. In that regard, it is handy and fairly accurate, but if I fail to notice when it first hits the "E" I'm lost because that is where it will stay until empty and it moves really fast once it gets below the 1/4 tank level then stopping at "E" and staying there.

The odometer/trip meter is also a nice way to calculate your next refueling, but I recently built the engine and did a lot of erratic accel/decel runs for a few hundred miles to seat the rings, yielding me 22 to 25 MPG, it's hard to trust the odometer on that amount of mileage drop.

I keep a log during each fill-up, gallons, odo reading, date and notes telling me the town or whatever so that I can look back, recall the trip and picture in my mind the conditions, two-up, slow country rides, fast, racing, etc. so that eventually I'll be able to trust my odometer and maybe my gas gauge more.

For now I'm carrying a 1 gallon Reda saddle bag gas can (actually holds .87 gallons) for insurance and for when riding with buddys that forget to fuel up.

Old 05-28-2011, 02:40 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 381 Posts

I've got a 2001 fxd,the gauge crapped in 05,just left it . i fill up at around r4 135-150 miles or reserve.............

Old 05-28-2011, 04:46 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The guage isn't all that accurate on mine but the light seems to always come on after using 3.5 gallons out of my 4.7 gallon tank. I still use the odometer though.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:50 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Mine is just a good reminder if havn't paid attention to the Odometer that when hits the E Mark have 2 gallons left on a 6 gallon tank ..

Old 05-28-2011, 04:54 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 504 Likes on 290 Posts

Ah, good old petrol taps with a reserve...those were the days :-)

Old 05-28-2011, 05:04 AM
greybeard6005
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the general answer is - it's not just you =)

Old 05-28-2011, 05:27 AM
==ShaDoW==
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

doesn't matter anyway as gas always depends on riding style. wind, load, drag, etc, if you expect it to be that good well I think your looking for something thats not there, like many posters have said most of us just work on a certain number of miles, and know if we are riding hard then thats going to be a lot less,

Old 05-28-2011, 06:46 AM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I notice my light comes on at 1/4 tank, if I ride a bit then shut off and back on the light will go off, I figure its the float on the gauge and since the bike sits on the stand at a angle it thinks I have less than I actually do...

The tank gauge itself is slow to come up, that I hate, but if I sit on the bike and wait a minute it comes up to where it should be....

Old 05-28-2011, 07:47 AM
YellowHawk
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I go by the miles on mine too. I just reset my trip odometer everytime I fill up with gas. I know about how many miles I can go on a tank and just make sure to monitor the mileage. My fuel light comes on long before I run out.

Quick Reply: Is everyones gas gauge a joke, or just mine?