Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biked tipped over in wheel chock

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 11:12 AM
Max10
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Biked tipped over in wheel chock

Was using the bike stand/wheel chock that I got from Harbor Freight. I've used it many times before. Just push the bike into it and it stands by itself. It moves a little either way but not too much. Didn't tie it down with the straps [never have]. With my back to it I hear some movement. Turn around and the bike is falling over. I tried to grab the back end but it was too late. It fell over. Luckily the car was there to break the fall, great. No big damage to either bike or car. It tipped the whole wheel chock over. The wheel never came out of it. The arm of the stand was up in the air. Freaked me out. Anyway just a warning for anyone who uses these things. Not sure if I'll use it again but will definately use the straps next time.

Old 06-04-2011, 11:20 AM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Which wheel chock? The black one or the silver one? If it was the black one, I don't see how it managed to turn over if the bike was all the way in it.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:02 PM
RonnR
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cuda67bnl
It it was the black one, I don't see how it managed to turn over if the bike was all the way in it.
Same here, If it was the black one, and the chock tipped over, strapping it down wouldn' have changed anything. For the tie down point are on the chock arm. If the arm was up in the air, then the straps would be as well.

My black one is built like a tank, I dont think I could even push it over..

Old 06-04-2011, 01:22 PM
ImNoPrince
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I had a close call with mine . I'm lucky to be on a 2nd story Garage that I rent so I used lagbolts and mounted her to the floor. I have shanken it good and no worries now. I think the Arms make Nice pivot points and would have used a mounting plate if not being able to go directly into the floor to give it a better base.

Old 06-04-2011, 06:24 PM
rjheff
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with the Condor 6400. Its the 1500 with the trailer removable plate. It works great. Pull the bike up into cradle and very stable.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:28 PM
obonaven
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the black one from HF and I always put the kickstand down as insurance. If it were to fall the other way it would lend on the wall of the garage.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:37 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

I bought a couple of non critical tools from Harbor Freight, and PLEASE, no offense, but neither the HF wheel chock NOR the HF bike jack would I trust with my HD.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:52 PM
rellortnoc
Advanced

I have the Harbor Freight chock also. I mount it on a 24" x 48" piece of plywood when I use it to hold the bike up. No way it'll fall when mounted.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:57 PM
AFHarley
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
I bought a couple of non critical tools from Harbor Freight, and PLEASE, no offense, but neither the HF wheel chock NOR the HF bike jack would I trust with my HD.
+1

HF quality is very suspect, always has been. (IMO)

Old 06-05-2011, 08:51 AM
obonaven
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
I've bought a few tools from them and I am very happy with what I bought. I have a tile saw that has been loaned to family and friends quite a few times and it has always delivered for all of us. I also have a compressed air finish nail gun that I've been using for little jobs around the house for 3 years now and it works great.

I don't regret anything I purchased from HF, including my wheel chock.

Quick Reply: Biked tipped over in wheel chock