Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Great ride there no so great coming back

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 10:59 AM
FATKEVIN
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Great ride there no so great coming back

Friends I grew up with have a get together every year, first some golf and then a party afterward. Haven't been there for several years so figured I would make a long weekend out of it and take the bike. Went from Chicago to pittsburgh, took rt 30 the whole way there weather was great and did it in one day. Came back this past Sunday and was great until about 6:00 when bad storms came in. Planned on taking two days anyway so checked into a hotel. The next morning decided just to take I 80 back home and ran rain for about 250 of the 300 miles. I was riding in some pretty heavy rain yesterday and at one point doing about 60 in fifth gear the bike started bogging like it was going to die. I pulled over hit the throttle a few times and it seemed to have gone away. I get back on the highway and if I open it over 1/2 throttle it sputters. I have a big sucker on it and figured with all of the water hitting the air cleaner head on that must be it so I pushed on. The rain let up for awhile and the sputtering seemed to go away. the bike is an 09 Fat bob with V&H big radius 2-2 with the big sucker. Has anyone else had this happen and should I be worried about riding in the rain for long periods of time. I also stopped at alot of different gas stations maybe a touch of bad gas not sure. In the end finally made it home yesterday about 1 and wouldn't you know it after riding 5 hours in the rain it was sunny and dry when I got home. Total miles for the three days was about 1160.

The following users liked this post:
sws1111 (02-14-2020)
Old 06-21-2011, 11:26 AM
djack
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you have a rain sock on it?

Old 06-21-2011, 11:39 AM
Headwolf
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I got caught in the rain with my superglide and rode in heavy water with big rooster tails off the cars. My bike died and I had to coast to the shoulder. Would not start. Tried real hard but would bog and die. Let sit a short while and it did restart. Drove another mile and it happened again so when I got it restarted I got off next exit and stopped at a Target and sat out rest of storm Got back on and rode all the way home in the dry ok. Had someone tell me I was lucky with getting all that water in there I could have bent a piston rod I don't know if that is true but I had no problems after that. I just don't ride in heavy rain anymore Too much water I pull over. Yes I have stage one so when I asked at dealer he explained stock a/c cover does not fully cover bigger air cleaner and more water gets in BS? who knows But yes it happens FWIW

Old 06-21-2011, 12:53 PM
FATKEVIN
Cruiser

Originally Posted by djack
Did you have a rain sock on it?
No I didn't have one on there

Old 06-21-2011, 12:59 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 850 Likes on 373 Posts

sounds like you sucked in water. no bueno senor. think if you just had a filter sticking out your hood of car and rode in the rain. you dont think water would get in your engine.

some parts are made for looking good with added performance. but have no though on actually riding longer distance and running in to mother nature. just need to decide wich bike yours is going to be. or find a nifty cover for that bad boy when you roll out of town

Old 06-21-2011, 01:44 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Same thing happened to me once and just had to becareful and not get on the gas to much till I got home.

Rain sock helps a lot. Never had that issue when I had the rain sock on it.

Old 06-21-2011, 02:54 PM
FATKEVIN
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bberck
Same thing happened to me once and just had to becareful and not get on the gas to much till I got home.

Rain sock helps a lot. Never had that issue when I had the rain sock on it.
Do you know where I can get one. I read alot of posts on here and didn't see one specific for the big sucker stage I. Can I get one from Harley for the round screaming eagle, will that fit the same. I just want something I can throw in the saddle bags and put on if needed.

Kevin

Old 06-21-2011, 03:15 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FATKEVIN
Do you know where I can get one. I read alot of posts on here and didn't see one specific for the big sucker stage I. Can I get one from Harley for the round screaming eagle, will that fit the same. I just want something I can throw in the saddle bags and put on if needed.

Kevin
K&N has lots of differnt sizes for each shape filter just look for one closest to your size and shape.

http://store.knfilters.com/search/wrap.aspx

Old 06-21-2011, 04:19 PM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by FATKEVIN

Kevin
I have a Big Sucker too and got a rain sock at either J&P or Dennis Kirk, don't remember. And they aren't cheap either, like $30+ if I remember correctly. I carry mine all the time in my bag, just in case.

HD also has a round one, that might work also.

Old 06-21-2011, 05:17 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Quick Reply: Great ride there no so great coming back