Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed clutch...can't get the tranny cover back on

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 01:37 AM
canadagrown
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed clutch...can't get the tranny cover back on

I swapped out the clutch cable and all went well I think. The problem is that now the transmission cover does not fit back on snuggly. I can't seem to figure out why it doesn't fit now, everything was put back in the same way...I think. If anyone has suggestions please help me out...thanks.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:54 AM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 257 Posts

Take derby cover off the primary and slacken off the adjuster in the clutch (all the way, take it our completely is best), wind the cable adjuster in fully and then try again, if tranny cover goes on you then adjust the clutch as per the manual and it should be fine.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:28 AM
canadagrown
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Spanners39
Take derby cover off the primary and slacken off the adjuster in the clutch (all the way, take it our completely is best), wind the cable adjuster in fully and then try again, if tranny cover goes on you then adjust the clutch as per the manual and it should be fine.
I did this when I changed the cable. Everything is as slack as possible and the cable is screwed into the transmission all the way. The primary cover is what doesn't fit back on now. I'm getting very frustrated with it. It's the last step to get riding again after an internal wire bar swap. Anyone other suggestions?

Old 07-14-2011, 06:25 AM
maxxod
Banned

I had this same issue with the transmission cover after swapping out a clutch cable. It would not sit flush. I forced it on somehow....this was the WRONG thing to do. When I replaced the cable again and removed the cover, the inside was all chewed up with metal chips just hanging off..there were metal chips in the tranny oil too.
The reason it wont sit flush....the orientation of the cable connection on the clutch ramp is wrong. Find a pic of the clutch ramp with the cable connected..make sure yours is set exactly the same, then install the cover...it should go on without forcing it.

Old 07-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Mr. Wannabe
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maxxod
I had this same issue with the transmission cover after swapping out a clutch cable. It would not sit flush. I forced it on somehow....this was the WRONG thing to do. When I replaced the cable again and removed the cover, the inside was all chewed up with metal chips just hanging off..there were metal chips in the tranny oil too.
The reason it wont sit flush....the orientation of the cable connection on the clutch ramp is wrong. Find a pic of the clutch ramp with the cable connected..make sure yours is set exactly the same, then install the cover...it should go on without forcing it.

Correct. You have the clutch ball/ramp partially engaged. Pull the cover off, put as much slack in the cable as you can and make sure that the ball/ramp is pushed all the way back then reinstall.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:50 PM
FXD2003Rider
Administrator Emeritus

Received 867 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by maxxod
...the orientation of the cable connection on the clutch ramp is wrong. Find a pic of the clutch ramp with the cable connected..make sure yours is set exactly the same, then install the cover...it should go on without forcing it.
Retaining ring open end position:

Clutch ramp/cable position: