Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VO2 air intake and slip on mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 07:11 PM
Harry S
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VO2 air intake and slip on mufflers

Hi guys, New to the forums. I have a 2010 dyna superglide FXD . I added Vance and Hines 3" slip-on mufflers and would like to add a Vance and Hines VO2 intake . Do I need to add a fuel mgmt system such as Fuelpak or will the bikes computer make the proper adjustments. Any help is appreciated.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Willy723
Tourer

I would say Yes, the majority of performance shops I talked to before purchasing anything basically all said the same thing...if you mess with airflow, get a tuner. The bikes ECM will not automatically adjust.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:43 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

there it is. Stock air cleaner and aftermarket pipes are supposed to be ok with the stock ECM . Aftermarket pipes and perfomance air cleaner set up def. need EFI adjustment/tune.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:43 PM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Oh BTW welcome to the forum.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:49 PM
ratbob81
Advanced

Yeah, It needs to be tuned...I got just pipes first and it ran fine, not great and then I added a high flow air cleaner....yeah it needs to be tuned runs pretty much like crap. Just haven't had the scratch to buy a tuner(was also hoping the stories of the 20% adjustment were true, definitely not true in my case). Hopefully I will have enough in the next couple of days, as it has limited my riding time. For reference I have a 2011 Street Bob.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:18 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

We need a smiley of someone opening a can of worms .

There are some very knowledgeable people saying that you don't actually need to retune for stage-1 on the newer bikes, since about 2007. The Delphi system being capable of adjusting for that much extra flow. Take a look at http://www.nightrider.com/parts/ied_faq.htm for instance.

Having said that, these bikes run lean from the factory for EPA compliance. Sticking on pipes and an A/C and leaving the tune stock is not going to get the best out of that new hardware and the bike will run hot.

I think the least you should do is fit some Xieds and, preferably, fit a proper fuelling solution such as a SEPST.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:17 PM
raksasas
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2 cents:
Okay... I have an 08 Dyna FXD. I did the V&H VO2 Drak and V&H Strightshots HS Slip-ons. I then took the bike to Jim's Cycle Shop in Axtel, TX and had it dyno tested. He showed gave me the print out and pointed out that it is right on the money and that I didn't need a tuner.

Old 10-26-2011, 02:24 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to agree with foxster on this one...You can pick up XEID's for 100 bucks if your are on a budget and it will give you the fuel you need and you can install yourself in less then 15 minutes.

I would check out nightrider.com just to get a lot more information on the questions you have, very informative site. Don't hesitate to call the owner as he likes to share his knowledge. He will actually steer you away fron his products if it's not right for you.

And you don't NEED a tuner, but even if you do nothing, you have to deal with the lean condition. My bike ran very hot and surged right off of the showroom floor.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:24 PM
8541hog
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxster
We need a smiley of someone opening a can of worms .

There are some very knowledgeable people saying that you don't actually need to retune for stage-1 on the newer bikes, since about 2007. The Delphi system being capable of adjusting for that much extra flow. Take a look at http://www.nightrider.com/parts/ied_faq.htm for instance.

Having said that, these bikes run lean from the factory for EPA compliance. Sticking on pipes and an A/C and leaving the tune stock is not going to get the best out of that new hardware and the bike will run hot.

I think the least you should do is fit some Xieds and, preferably, fit a proper fuelling solution such as a SEPST.
This is a very good explanation, although I have never tried the XiEDs, they would help run the bike cooler and perhaps extend the motors longevity as well as your pleasure riding the bike.

Need is the key word, no you do not NEED one, but your bike would benefit from one.
It will do the adjustments to keep the stock profile, but to get the most out of it you would want a tuner.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:18 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I then took the bike to Jim's Cycle Shop in Axtel, TX and had it dyno tested. He showed gave me the print out and pointed out that it is right on the money and that I didn't need a tuner.
What was it "right on the money" of? A stock bike? The new bike right off of the showroom is already running way to lean.

Quick Reply: VO2 air intake and slip on mufflers