Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not Impressed with the 103" kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 04:38 PM
paul s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JBoggs
My question is how fast did you end up going? 3rd takes me to 100, not sure where 5th would but not willing to find out on public roads around here.

Joe I am willing to put my 103 against your 95.
I would run you but I don't think it's worth the ride to prove a point. Posting some timeslips from the strip would be a lot easier.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:03 PM
CaptainAmerica1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JRK5892
J

ooh ya and the only people that say they would not ride a BMW have never rode them. one of my best friends rides a BMW adventure may not be much to look at but as far as power, handleing, comfort and far out being a great all around bike. he wins... alot to be said for a 8 gallon gas tank!
Wrong. I've ridden one and I said I'd never buy one. Never. An eight gallon tank is nice and it should be standard on something like HD's trikes. I just don't want a BMW and that others do is fine with me.

Last edited by CaptainAmerica1; 08-01-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:06 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,544 Posts

Timeslips will reflect rider skill at the lights and shift points; that can be learned and a less powerful machine can beat a more powerful machine because of rider skill. Post the dyno sheets and that will tell which is the better performing motor. Just calculate the torque under the curve will tell the tale; torque wins races. Then you can post time slips and see which is the more skilled rider.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Inspector 12
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As noted, wondering what cam is in the 103? My 2010 Street Glide is a stage II 103, it makes 92 hp and 106 tq at the tire. It runs very well for a touring bike.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:20 PM
jim425
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've owned liter+ sport bike, but I didn't trust myself not to get a ticket. I had found I would double the speed limit too much. I've owned a BMW-R1100RT, too, but my wife wanted to come back to riding her own and a 1200L Sportster was a perfect fit for her. I traded for a Harley. Heck, I'd always wanted one, and made the plunge.

They were just different than my FXD. I do miss the BMW on longer rides and especially the on the fly adjustable windshield and abs.

I can't really think of why I need more power than a 96 on my Dyna. In any form, it would seem slow compared to the sport bikes I've ridden.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:41 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Stage II upgrade is SE255 cams.

~Joe

Old 08-01-2011, 06:43 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't care how good she is in bed....if her face looks like roast beef, it's a deal breaker.

BMW is fugly.....and that's it.

~Joe

Old 08-01-2011, 07:01 PM
Dirknar
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jim425
I've owned liter+ sport bike, but I didn't trust myself not to get a ticket. I had found I would double the speed limit too much. I've owned a BMW-R1100RT, too, but my wife wanted to come back to riding her own and a 1200L Sportster was a perfect fit for her. I traded for a Harley. Heck, I'd always wanted one, and made the plunge.

They were just different than my FXD. I do miss the BMW on longer rides and especially the on the fly adjustable windshield and abs.

I can't really think of why I need more power than a 96 on my Dyna. In any form, it would seem slow compared to the sport bikes I've ridden.
I'd concur.. I love sport bikes, Even a pumped up Harley is no match for a Ricer..

My previous bike was a 2005 Suzuki GSX-R 1000cc (K5), still the 05'-06' are one of the best gsxr's..

I am quite certain that A LOT (not all) of Harley guys do not fully realize how fast these bike are.. Their not just fast, their SCARY fast..

Mine would do 100mph in FIRST gear, from the factory...it was around 172HP/80TQ in a 445lb/wet package, with nothing more than a aftermarket can and power commander..

I looked down one time at almost 170mph and I still had 6th gear.. I cruised at 170 in 6th for a min cause it was so smooth. The wind beating my loose jacket was the only thing bothering me..

Ive had a few sport bikes and I couldnt seem to stop being a jackass, or risking my life too much for a thrill. (track days are WAY expensive)... So I got a Harley, low and slow is my new motto.. And I'm loving every minute of it.. Although I would like to pump up my 88" a bit.. Ok a lot..lol

Old 08-01-2011, 08:10 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Nor am I impressed with the performance of factory motors but considering it is an air cooled v twin and the EPA regs, anemic motors are about the best they can do. However, you are mistaken about the TQ claims from HD; TQ at the rear wheel. Check the dyno sheets in any SE Performance catalog for verification.

BTW, Albrittion's final numbers were 77HP/102TQ; I'll take an IOU on the six pack.
I know what you're saying about the SCREAMING EAGLE catalog, which lists their numbers at the rear wheel, but the normal "off the shelf" stock stuff is measured at the crank I believe. Screaming Eagle is a seperate division and they market a little differently than normal Harley stuff. I've watched a lot of dyno videos that show actual numbers of stock engines and there's no way the 103" is making 100 TQ at the rear wheel from the factory.

Here in Jamie's thread for his 107"s, he shows several stock 103" dyno charts (starting on page 4), and none of them have anything close to 100 TQ on the dyno. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...el-moto-4.html

And you are right, I do owe you a six pack!!! I guessed his torque dead on, but was high on the HP! When you're in my neighborhood I'll buy you a six (or 12 for that matter) of whatever you want!

Last edited by jeff.georgalas; 08-01-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:48 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a big difference between a HD 103" kit and a real 103" build. Any built 96 or 88 turned 95 should outrun a factory offered 103 kit.

I have seen impressive dyno numbers for built 103's that could hold their own against even some larger displacement builds. It takes head and cams plus a few more tricks to do, but the 120 plus HP/TQ numbers really got my attention.

Quick Reply: Not Impressed with the 103" kit