Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What cams are you guys using?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 03:30 AM
arnold
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I DROPPED IN A SET OF 204 AND COULDN'T BE HAPPIER! It gives me great pull from start to end, still pulls good at a 100, I already had a TTS Thunderheader and a/c upgrade. I may or may not go further, it runs so good now I may stop where I'm at

Old 08-03-2011, 06:32 AM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SE259e cams with shaved and polished SE CNC'd racing heads has woken up my motor extremely well, with 103.9 hp and 104.5 ft lbs of torque running V&H big shots. I am getting ready to build a stainless steel 2-1 set of pipes which should boost the foot pounds of torque upwards 10-14 ft lbs (according to some engineering specs I am working with, although proof will be in the pudding).

Old 08-03-2011, 12:12 PM
CigarDogHD
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Seems you have answered your question. However, I woudl be remiss if I failed to point out that boring to 103" and new pistons will add about $300 to the total build cost; much more cost effective in terms of dollars per foot pound of torque. A cam change will definitely help out but the performance enhancements will be limited to the rpm range the cam is designed to work in. If you go for more on the upper end of the power band, you will give up some on the lower end. An increase in displacment enhances performance all the way across the power band.

Of course, if you pull the heads to do the big bore, and you have the $$, headwork will definitely add to the package. Goo luck.
I stopped by my local indy shop yesterday. He said pretty much the exact same thing. Might as well go the route of the 103" if I'm going to pull the heads. Definitely more cost effective. So...now I just hafta convince my wife once again to let me drop some dough.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:44 PM
WIDERGLIDER
Tourer

I heard the TW-555's were sick bolt in cam...was going to do them this winter. Any thoughts on the contrary if I'm keeping my 96' heads and stock compression?

Old 08-03-2011, 04:24 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,544 Posts

Originally Posted by WIDERGLIDER
I heard the TW-555's were sick bolt in cam...was going to do them this winter. Any thoughts on the contrary if I'm keeping my 96' heads and stock compression?
Your hi-jacking CigarDog's thread; hope he doesn't mind.

The Woods TW555 is the current cam de jour; TMan's new 600 series is likely to be the next cam de jour. You need to do your home work, read up on cams, search this and other forums for post build results and figure out which cams might work best for the way you ride your bike.

It's hard to judge from what others report. Some that are not satisified with results will blame the cams when it was the total package that wasn't right. Cams are just one component; they all have to be compatible and matched up to your goals.

Last edited by djl; 08-04-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:30 PM
WIDERGLIDER
Tourer

No hijack, just throwing out what I heard about the tw555's, nobody mentioned them in this thread yet...

Originally Posted by djl
Your hi-jacking CigarDog's thread; hope he doesn't mind.

The Woods TW555 is the current cam de jour; TMan's new 600 series is likely to be the next cam de jour. You need to do your home work, read up on cams, search this and othef forums for post build results and figure out which cams might work best for the way you ride your bike.

It's hard to judge from what others report. Some that are not satisified with results will blame the cams when it was the total package that wasn't right. Cams are just one component; they all have to be compatible and matched up to your goals.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Blackbobber
Cruiser

I am using a redshift 575s cam and getting 100tq and 94hp the cam seems strong low to mid then drops off.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:04 AM
CigarDogHD
Intermediate

I'm certainly not worried about any hijacking. I hope everyone can get the answers they're looking for. Thanks though djl. Definitely some knowledge flowing through these here threads.

Blackbobber, what else are you running to produce those numbers?

djl, my indy mechanic recommended an S&S easy start 583 cam with a head a job? Any thoughts on the S&S cam line? Thanks.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:09 AM
hell hound
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 128 Likes on 106 Posts

i am running andrews 37's which i advanced 4 degrees, stock heads and displacement (88" 06 dyna), also i have bub 7 2 into 1, and pc3 and it runs pretty good.

The thing that i did that made my bike jump the most and probobly put the most smiles on my face was gearing down the trans pully from 32 tooth to 30t andrews power pully. Lots of fun, rpms are up alittle but bike still runs good on trips. Plus the higher rpm puts the cam in a better spot.

I do plan on one day doing heads and adding cubic inches and at that point i will ditch the 4* advance, but i will already have the cams, adjustable rods and upgraded lifters installed. The future upgrades is one of the reasons i picked that cam.

Obvios it would be better to do everything at once, but i was light on money. Saved a lot by doing the work myself, so in all i didn't spend all that much. I did however drop some money on a top notch tune ($350) but it was worth it.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:17 AM
CigarDogHD
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hell hound
i am running andrews 37's which i advanced 4 degrees, stock heads and displacement (88" 06 dyna), also i have bub 7 2 into 1, and pc3 and it runs pretty good.

The thing that i did that made my bike jump the most and probobly put the most smiles on my face was gearing down the trans pully from 32 tooth to 30t andrews power pully. Lots of fun, rpms are up alittle but bike still runs good on trips. Plus the higher rpm puts the cam in a better spot.

I do plan on one day doing heads and adding cubic inches and at that point i will ditch the 4* advance, but i will already have the cams, adjustable rods and upgraded lifters installed. The future upgrades is one of the reasons i picked that cam.

Obvios it would be better to do everything at once, but i was light on money. Saved a lot by doing the work myself, so in all i didn't spend all that much. I did however drop some money on a top notch tune ($350) but it was worth it.
Sounds like an awesome set-up. A good tune can definitely make a difference. How did the gear down affect your highway cruising? And this may be a dumb question, but changing the gearing, does that mess with your odometer reading?

Quick Reply: What cams are you guys using?