Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to harleys

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 12:08 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New to harleys

K. So I am to understand that we need 70w90 in the tranny then oil in the engine,what is a primary and how do I change the oil in it. And where is the clutch,in tranny cooler by gear oil or in motor cooled by motor oil. And what do I put in the primary. Thanks guys. I have an 08 street bob with a 96. Thank you

Old 09-15-2011, 12:11 AM
meatpunch
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude you need to get a repair manual and go from there. Getting that detailed advice/response here on the forums isn't what you need, you should have a manual and go from there. Good luck man.

Old 09-15-2011, 12:13 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member

Already ordered the manual. Should be here in a week. I came from metrics where it was 1 oil. Alright. Thanks anyway

Old 09-15-2011, 12:16 AM
meatpunch
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
Already ordered the manual. Should be here in a week. I came from metrics where it was 1 oil. Alright. Thanks anyway
With that manual you are good.. your questions probably should be what the preferred brand/weight is- I have heard good things about Amsoil and Redline oils, gonna be looking into this myself soon... good luck with the switch to HD's! One thing is for sure, you made a good decision

Old 09-15-2011, 01:36 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by meatpunch
With that manual you are good.. your questions probably should be what the preferred brand/weight is- I have heard good things about Amsoil and Redline oils, gonna be looking into this myself soon... good luck with the switch to HD's! One thing is for sure, you made a good decision
You got that right. When I bought my v-star it took me a week to think about it. 10 minutes on my street bob and I was already thinking how do I finance it. This dyna is a great ride,power is fantastic,rides smooth as silk. I love my Harley. My metric was just a bike. My Harley is an extension of my soul. It's hard to explain to other metric riders and I hear the crap about harleys reliabilty and all I have to say to that is ride it. Then comment. My metric bike didn't make me feel like my Harley does,and isn't that why we ride. Because of how it makes us feel. Once this motor has had it I am doing either the 107 or 110 jugs and 255 cams. Harley forever baby

Old 09-15-2011, 02:51 AM
HemiOrange
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

K. So I am to understand that we need 70w90 in the tranny then oil in the engine,what is a primary and how do I change the oil in it. And where is the clutch,in tranny cooler by gear oil or in motor cooled by motor oil. And what do I put in the primary. Thanks guys. I have an 08 street bob with a 96. Thank you
Just have patience and wait for that manual to arrive. Not that the manual has the best advice on fluids, but it will show you where the drain plugs are, how to check fluid levels, how to fill and what you will need.

In time you might be swayed to try different oils, like Amsoil in all three. Meanwhile just order yourself an oil filter, some drain plug o-rings and a derby cover seal, just in case you need them.

Changing the oil is very easy, way easier than even on my KTM dirt bike.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:19 AM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Manual is good advise.
Meanwhile, The clutch is in the primary.
I run Amsoil severe gear in the trans, and amsoil 20/50 in engine and primary.
From the left side of the bike looking under (kick stand side).
There are 3 drain plugs, 1st is primary, then engine, then trans.
To fill the primary you fill thru the derby cover.

Also, go to the main Harley site, register with your VIN on the owners section, you can then view your owners manual for free, plus other info...
have fun

Old 09-15-2011, 06:47 AM
AFMM3
Road Warrior
Received 70 Likes on 41 Posts

Definately wait for the manual, but what makes Harleys different from metrics is that Harley seperates the oiling systems on their bikes. The engine gets it's own oil ,about 3 quarts. The transmission gets another quart and the "Primary" a little over a quart. The primary is inside the large engine case by your left foot. Inside there is a large chain that connects the engine to the transmission through the clutch. The clutch cover (sometimes called a Derby Cover) is the large disk with 5 torx bolts.

The best reason for seperating these is there is no cross contamination. I would also recommend a good set of torx bit. Good ones you only purchase once and good ones fit well and won't ruin your bolts. Torque wrench!

Read your manual, take your time and good luck. Welcome aboard..................

Old 09-15-2011, 06:50 AM
Robbie13
LOSER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run Amsoil in everything I have.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:29 AM
thedonthere
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You got that right. When I bought my v-star it took me a week to think about it. 10 minutes on my street bob and I was already thinking how do I finance it. This dyna is a great ride,power is fantastic,rides smooth as silk. I love my Harley. My metric was just a bike. My Harley is an extension of my soul. It's hard to explain to other metric riders and I hear the crap about harleys reliabilty and all I have to say to that is ride it. Then comment. My metric bike didn't make me feel like my Harley does,and isn't that why we ride. Because of how it makes us feel. Once this motor has had it I am doing either the 107 or 110 jugs and 255 cams. Harley forever baby
What do you mean "once this motor has had it" ? Dude if you never do anything but change fluids at the recommended intervals that motor will last 100,000 + miles......I have a friend who has done nothing but change fluids and he is at 113,000 and still going strong

Quick Reply: New to harleys