Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do 2 into 1 pipes REALLY add more power?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Default Do 2 into 1 pipes REALLY add more power?

Howdy friends,

Looks like the aftermarket exhaust makers are finally getting around to ou 12' Dyna's...

Obviously I'm looking at full-exhaust (not slips...)...

And, I'm interested in your knowledge on how much more power the 2 into 1's really make vs a normal full-exhaust set up?

Thanks in advance...

Old 09-26-2011, 05:08 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Depends which one and what else you are doing to motor. The D&D and V&H Pro Pipe seem to make great numbers with good fitment. Use search function to educate yourself before spending big $. Also good to know what you want your motor to look like when you will be finished and size the pipe to where you want to end up at.

Originally Posted by StevenTammy
Howdy friends,

Looks like the aftermarket exhaust makers are finally getting around to ou 12' Dyna's...

Obviously I'm looking at full-exhaust (not slips...)...

And, I'm interested in your knowledge on how much more power the 2 into 1's really make vs a normal full-exhaust set up?

Thanks in advance...

Old 09-26-2011, 05:21 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The dyno sheets will show increases but they seem to be pretty small over all. Most say the seat of the pants feel isn't noticeable. Get ready for lots of reading,,,

Last edited by klaybus; 09-27-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:38 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

my d&d had some seat of the pants feel to it......and it sounds great, my buddies call it a diesel stack haha

Old 09-26-2011, 06:22 PM
Billyram
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

If all you do is slip on a new exhaust system with out any thing else you probably won't notice any power gains. Opening up the intake, adding a tuner along with a exhaust will make a noticable gain. Some of the 2 into 2s are making as much power as the 2 into 1s.
Billy

Old 09-26-2011, 06:37 PM
daurwid
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Billyram
If all you do is slip on a new exhaust system with out any thing else you probably won't notice any power gains. Opening up the intake, adding a tuner along with a exhaust will make a noticable gain. Some of the 2 into 2s are making as much power as the 2 into 1s.
Billy
When I went from the stock 2009 street bob header/muffler 2 to 2 setup to a stock 2009 fat bob header/muffler 2 to 1 to 2 setup I felt the improvement immediately. Quicker throttle response and I personally liked the sound better. So win-win for me. Now I'm running stock fat bob header w/ stock Screamin' Eagle Fat Bob mufflers which gave a little better sound and even more bite it seems.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:39 PM
bigdaddy33
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you're doing a major build, a 2-1 pipe is the way to go. You'll find it produces bigger numbers, and is more tunable, allowing you to put the power in the RPM band where you want it. Will also help to reduce or eliminate dips in the tq curves often found with 2-2 pipes.

On a stage 1 or minor build the advantages of a 2-1 is probably less noticeable, so go with what you like.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:50 PM
SuperFastGlide
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my lakester 2into1 is the most noticeable, feel able mod ive ever done... completely blows the 2into2 rineharts i had away... lots of new torque and throttle response..
so in answer to your question, yes, of course they do...

Old 09-26-2011, 09:45 PM
schwab
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Billyram
Billy
Agreed doing all that will really wake up a bike

Old 09-27-2011, 04:46 AM
missedem
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I traded off a little low end power for more midrange / top end power when I bought and ran my bub straightaways . they are perfect for montana riding as I need fast , hard passing ability to get around cars that are in the way and get back up to 80 mph as fast as possible. Once you are moving in a roll on they really shine. (they are not that bad off the line either ... a 2 into 1 would probably be a second or two faster on the low end... but I already have all the power I need ). I wouldn't worry about it too much. Get what you like. Unless you do a high dollar big horsepower motor then id recommend going to a 2 into 1 for more torque off the line.

Quick Reply: Do 2 into 1 pipes REALLY add more power?